Sponsored by:

KW HAS Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2014 E63 S
KW HAS Installation

I finally got around to installing my KW HAS kit on my 2014 E63S. Overall, I would rate this car relatively easy for switching springs. The struts are held onto the car by only 6 bolts (2 lower mounts, 1 stabilizer bar mount, 3 top mounts in the engine bay), so removal is quick.

Once the struts are off the car, the springs change out like any other strut. The spring perch needs to be removed from each strut -- I suppose that press would be the best way to do this, but I simply used a hammer and a block of wood to beat them off. The adjustable collar, new bump stops and springs slid on without any fuss. The rest bolts up in reverse order of removal.

The rear links are a bit of a pain to change and adjust given their location, but not too bad. The whole exercise took me about 4 hours, but I took my time and went slowly. Now that I have done it, I'm sure that I could switch back to the stock springs and links in under 2 hours.

Attached are a few pictures. I'll likely re-adjust ride height in a couple of weeks after the springs settle, and then get an alignment. While it has only been on the car for a day, so far I'm happy with the results.
Attached Thumbnails KW HAS Installation-lower-strut-mounts.jpg   KW HAS Installation-stabilizer-bar-mount.jpg   KW HAS Installation-electrical-connector.jpg   KW HAS Installation-stock-strut.jpg   KW HAS Installation-strut-apart.jpg  

KW HAS Installation-kw-strut.jpg   KW HAS Installation-kw-installed.jpg   KW HAS Installation-e63s-lowered2.jpg   KW HAS Installation-e63s-lowered.jpg  
The following 8 users liked this post by HPMan:
admir lajka (11-25-2020), cadeca (07-10-2017), cotmfk (10-19-2020), crazybear (07-26-2021), mj_39 (07-10-2017), OldManAndHisCar (04-18-2024), RIP M5 (11-26-2020), Simmelma (11-25-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-10-2017, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
I agree on relative ease on the job. With a shop press and a spring compressor I got the job done in under an hour for both sides. one of the easier lowering jobs I've done.

Originally Posted by HPMan
I finally got around to installing my KW HAS kit on my 2014 E63S. Overall, I would rate this car relatively easy for switching springs. The struts are held onto the car by only 6 bolts (2 lower mounts, 1 stabilizer bar mount, 3 top mounts in the engine bay), so removal is quick.

Once the struts are off the car, the springs change out like any other strut. The spring perch needs to be removed from each strut -- I suppose that press would be the best way to do this, but I simply used a hammer and a block of wood to beat them off. The adjustable collar, new bump stops and springs slid on without any fuss. The rest bolts up in reverse order of removal.

The rear links are a bit of a pain to change and adjust given their location, but not too bad. The whole exercise took me about 4 hours, but I took my time and went slowly. Now that I have done it, I'm sure that I could switch back to the stock springs and links in under 2 hours.

Attached are a few pictures. I'll likely re-adjust ride height in a couple of weeks after the springs settle, and then get an alignment. While it has only been on the car for a day, so far I'm happy with the results.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
e63s

nice job. looks great... hows the ride quality?
Old 07-10-2017, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by E63 Tony
nice job. looks great... hows the ride quality?
I found the ride quality no different than OEM, and combined with STB really improved responsiveness of front end. Better turn in and flatness through the bend.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:51 PM

2014 E63 S
While I've only drive maybe 50 miles with the kit on the car, I agree with KLR CLS in that it feels just like OEM. Probably the biggest thing I notice is getting into the car -- the door handle is slightly lower than I am used to, and I can tell that the seat level is closer to the ground.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
e63s
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
I found the ride quality no different than OEM, and combined with STB really improved responsiveness of front end. Better turn in and flatness through the bend.
what is stb? and would this work with my 295/30/19 tires or are they too wide? does the car still raise up in comfort mode?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
NIice job! How much lower does the rear go and the front adjustment, What's the difference between this kit and Renntech?

Last edited by 10speed; 07-10-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 892 Likes on 626 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by 10speed
NIice job! How much lower does the rear go and the front adjustment
Rear links can go lower than you'd ever realistically want to go. The front is pretty much the same, too, in that it will go as low as any sane person would want. As for precise measurement, OP would have to chime in as I only have H&R front springs but links are links in the rear, all the same.

What's the difference between this kit and Renntech?
Price.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:44 PM

2014 E63 S
I've got my fronts set to about 655mm from ground to bottom edge of fender. I think it would go probably 10mm lower. I also expect the Springs to settle 5mm or so after a while.

I agree that that the lowering links can put the rear lower than any sane person would want
Old 07-10-2017, 10:54 PM

E63s
Any of you guys use or considered the Renntech lowering kit with the rear control module if so what's your thoughts?
I think Renntech makes nice stuff just very pricey but is it worth the price?
Old 07-11-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
'13 E63 Wagon
Any of you guys use or considered the Renntech lowering kit with the rear control module if so what's your thoughts?
I think Renntech makes nice stuff just very pricey but is it worth the price?
I considered the module, but the guy at RENNtech who helped me talked me out of it. He stated that people typically set it once and never touch it again. Links are faster to install and cheaper. If the car had air on all four corners, I'd have bought the module.

RENNtech may be more expensive, however the benefit for me is accountability. I have one contact at one company from whom I've bought everything except wheels. If I have a question or concern, it is important to me that I have the ability to call one guy who knows my car, all the products on it, and has a good enough relationship with my local dealer that he can have my car looked at with no hassles. That's worth a few bucks to me.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
agreed. Also we already have some adjustibility built in with our rear suspension, so if you wanted to raise it up you can put your suspension back on comfort mode. i believe there's close an inch of difference in terms of ride height between comfort and sport+

When the car is just commuting i tend to leave the suspension at comfort just to soak up the bumps better.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:16 PM

E63s
Originally Posted by C Smith
I considered the module, but the guy at RENNtech who helped me talked me out of it. He stated that people typically set it once and never touch it again. Links are faster to install and cheaper. If the car had air on all four corners, I'd have bought the module.

RENNtech may be more expensive, however the benefit for me is accountability. I have one contact at one company from whom I've bought everything except wheels. If I have a question or concern, it is important to me that I have the ability to call one guy who knows my car, all the products on it, and has a good enough relationship with my local dealer that he can have my car looked at with no hassles. That's worth a few bucks to me.
Thanks for the insight!makes perfect sense what you said about the module for these cars , If I do lower I'm glad I have that out of the equation, So your running the Renntech stuff ? I might do the same because my dealer does Renntech so if I have a problem with my suspension they might look the other way , The Renntech is similar in price to but I'm not sure they come with new. Bump stops like the KW kit
Old 07-11-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
'13 E63 Wagon
Thanks for the insight!makes perfect sense what you said about the module for these cars , If I do lower I'm glad I have that out of the equation, So your running the Renntech stuff ? I might do the same because my dealer does Renntech so if I have a problem with my suspension they might look the other way , The Renntech is similar in price to but I'm not sure they come with new. Bump stops like the KW kit
Yes, I am running RENNtech equipment (their suspension and R1 power kit). The suspension did not come with bumpstops, but the instructions included steps to measure and cut down the factory bumpstops, which took about two minutes.

I'd rather not derail the thread any further, so if you have more questions feel free to send me a PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mercedes e63s

I really love the way your car sits. I just installed h and r springs but I am not happy the way it’s sitting, to low in my opinion. Your car looks like it perfect.

What was your height adjustment on the front with the kws? Also is your front tire 255 35 or did you change the size!?
Old 10-19-2020, 08:28 AM

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts
W211 E55, Nissan Z31/R30/R31/D21
I am curious if anyone is running the rear HAS kit (I have a wagon btw). KW site has it listed but I cannot find definitive information on how to convert the rear to spring as their kit doesn't seem to include the lower the mounts to convert. I know of one person who has rear KW HAS springs on their wagon but they are not the original owner and therefore don't have any definitive info on the swap.

I have the H&R front springs and rear links on my car and personally have no issues whatsoever with the ride quality. It feels just like OEM to me but I have hear that the KW kit is better so I am considering trying that too for direct comparison.

Interesting that Renntech talked someone out of their module because the site seems to indicate that the module is a better method or lowering the car by offering more accurate ride quality control not just adjustability. I was wondering how that could make any sense if the stock system just picks up the location of the stock sensor at any given time. I would spend the extra money on the module if it offered a potential better ride quality than just the links themselves so you helped me save some money trying something out.

Last edited by RVAE34; 10-19-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:34 AM

mercedes e63s

I am also interested about the height of these. I currently have h and r’s but I am not happy because it sits to low to my liking. Just curious how much room did you have left to make the car sit higher? And did you put spacers as well. Your car is sitting perfect !
Old 11-25-2020, 12:16 PM

2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by admir lajka
I am also interested about the height of these. I currently have h and r’s but I am not happy because it sits to low to my liking. Just curious how much room did you have left to make the car sit higher? And did you put spacers as well. Your car is sitting perfect !
In the original pic at the top of the thread, the fronts could probably be about 20 mm higher. I drive my car in winter where there is snow and raise it significantly when I put snow tires on the car for better ground clearance. I would say that it can raise the car to at least stock height, possibly higher. The rear links have plenty of adjustment as well.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:37 PM

mercedes e63s
In the original pic at the top of the thread, the fronts could probably be about 20 mm higher. I drive my car in winter where there is snow and raise it significantly when I put snow tires on the car for better ground clearance. I would say that it can raise the car to at least stock height, possibly higher. The rear links have plenty of adjustment as well.

thanks man. Now I can’t wait to put these on.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:12 AM

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts
W211 E55, Nissan Z31/R30/R31/D21
___

Last edited by RVAE34; 07-27-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,148 Likes on 601 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
Do you get another alignment in the winter or just raise then lower?
Old 08-08-2022, 02:10 PM

2014 E63 S
I had my HAS kit on for about 4 years, never aligned / re-aligned and never had tire wear issues either with my summer or winter setup (and I'd raise the front approx. 20mm for the winter setup from what it was for summer). I've read that you've been having some tire wear issue -- hope you get it sorted out, but I never had any issues with my setup.
The following users liked this post:
I.T. Guy (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,148 Likes on 601 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
I had my HAS kit on for about 4 years, never aligned / re-aligned and never had tire wear issues either with my summer or winter setup (and I'd raise the front approx. 20mm for the winter setup from what it was for summer). I've read that you've been having some tire wear issue -- hope you get it sorted out, but I never had any issues with my setup.
Yeah I had a pull after I did my HAS kit and took it in for an alignment, and nothing changed. But I'm pretty sure the shop just didn't do the alignment.
The front tires look 1/2 burned through compared to the rears in less than a week.
But, I couldn't for sure tell you how much tread they had before. I just "know" my rears always wore first LOL. And now I did highway driving with the pull to the right.

I'm still sorting my ride height and then the original shop has offered to "re-check" the alignment, so we will see what happens after that. I have trust issues with them now but everyone says they are reputable. Maybe they just had a bad day. <shrug>

Thank you!
Old 04-17-2024, 08:45 PM

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts
2014 E63S

​​​​​So does the bottom spring perch where the oem spring sits on get removed and not reused when the kw kit is installed?
Old 04-17-2024, 08:50 PM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
Originally Posted by Mojo20032004
​​​​​So does the bottom spring perch where the oem spring sits on get removed and not reused when the kw kit is installed?
Yes. That's correct.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: KW HAS Installation