Sponsored by:

I need more snap, crackle, pop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
Originally Posted by brfatal
You're drawing a comparison where there is none. Burble tunes take popping to an extreme. I could make my old WRX blow a pop and throw fireballs at will on a previous tune. Mufflerless cars tent to pop more, even from the factory (look at old SRT-4s). But burble tunes are just obnoxious and tacky. Which is where I was going with my previous comment: it's just something I'd expect to see on a ratty car.
Theres definitely varying levels of burbles and pops. A burble tune can be set to extreme/aggressive that might be obnoxious but not everybody is putting it to the highest setting. Burble tunes just add burbles to cars that otherwise would not have it. People do it all the time on high performance cars, which is where I see it the most. Nowadays manufactures are including it stock eliminating the need for a "burble tune" so it is obviously for the most part desirable and you thinking its obnoxious or tacky would probably be the minority
Old 04-16-2019, 02:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by amgboy916
Theres definitely varying levels of burbles and pops. A burble tune can be set to extreme/aggressive that might be obnoxious but not everybody is putting it to the highest setting. Burble tunes just add burbles to cars that otherwise would not have it. People do it all the time on high performance cars, which is where I see it the most. Nowadays manufactures are including it stock eliminating the need for a "burble tune" so it is obviously for the most part desirable and you thinking its obnoxious or tacky would probably be the minority
for car enthusiasts perhaps the majority like burbles

but for all car buyers in general most do not prefer burbles ...
Old 04-16-2019, 02:29 PM

2012 CLS 63
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

but for all car buyers in general most do not prefer burbles ...
Yes. thats true. Most car buyers prefer 0 sound at all coming from exhaust. I was talking about the customer base for their performance cars, there had to be a pretty big demographic for multiple companies to start adding it to their cars with performance exhausts. Its a funny joke but lets be real, you're way more likely to see it on an high performance car than a honda. Which is probably why hondas would do it, to try to sound like one of these, not an M or amg trying to sound like a honda... but maybe thats just in my area
Old 04-16-2019, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by amgboy916
I always find it hillarious when people say stuff like this. Have you heard any of the new AMG or M cars? even RS they burble and pop from the factory so yeah obviously your taste is outdated. Besides I dont think any hondas come with that.
Me personally, i dont want it to sound like the 4th of july everytime i let off the gas, or every time i downshift, that will obviously get obnoxious very soon to most people at least. That’s not what i’m looking for. I want something thats more in between, where i’ll crackle and pop at “more appropriate” times (if that makes sense) not just those lame nissan gtr videos you see all over instagram that look like they just added a flamethrower to the end of the exhaust coupled with a m240 saw light machine gun.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

I drove a .... 2018 bmw x2 M 3.0.... couldn't not figure what the hell it was called ... and it burbled and popped and it was so annoying ... no thanks

really wish I could have S++ that gave me all the noises on demand
Old 04-17-2019, 11:51 PM

Received 281 Likes on 219 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by surenbursalyan
Me personally, i dont want it to sound like the 4th of july everytime i let off the gas, or every time i downshift, that will obviously get obnoxious very soon to most people at least. That’s not what i’m looking for. I want something thats more in between, where i’ll crackle and pop at “more appropriate” times (if that makes sense) not just those lame nissan gtr videos you see all over instagram that look like they just added a flamethrower to the end of the exhaust coupled with a m240 saw light machine gun.
These GTR videos you are referring to sound more like "AntiLag" than "Burble Tune". If I am correct, that's quite a different affair! Burble tunes are just done for sound. Antilag, as the name suggests, is done for performance, to eliminate turbo lag... it just happens to sound obnoxious
Old 04-21-2019, 05:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Old 04-21-2019, 06:47 PM

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
Originally Posted by surenbursalyan
Reminds me of my 93 RX-7, both good and bad.

It would pop and bang when lifting off the throttle, and would shoot flames on deceleration.

After being driven hard it would become even more pronounced.

Fun when I was younger, now it is going on its 4th year of being parked at a friend's garage.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:51 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I'd have to say that's certainly not my experience. Burble tunes will earn your snickers and jeers basically everyone I personally know in various car scenes and at local meets. I went to Cars and Coffee just today and heard a burble tuned BMW 1 series get mocked by strangers as it drove off.

Last edited by brfatal; 04-22-2019 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 S AMG
I had no idea this burble tune was this controversial 😂
Old 04-22-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes E63 AMG
yeah, my bro-in-law just got his BMW M3 tuned with this burble tune with stock exhaust and IMO, it does not sound good to me. I don't think I can hear that all day while driving the car. Especially, I live in California where the police and highway patrols has no problem issuing tickets for these loud exhaust. just beginning of this year, they just passed a new law for non-factory or loud exhausts. the fine is $1,000 then you will have to swap back to stock, go to local police station to have the ticket sign off by the police, then pay another $10.00 court fee to file the paper works that your car is FIXED.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:54 PM

2012 CLS 63
Originally Posted by iceman2002benz
yeah, my bro-in-law just got his BMW M3 tuned with this burble tune with stock exhaust and IMO, it does not sound good to me. I don't think I can hear that all day while driving the car. Especially, I live in California where the police and highway patrols has no problem issuing tickets for these loud exhaust. just beginning of this year, they just passed a new law for non-factory or loud exhausts. the fine is $1,000 then you will have to swap back to stock, go to local police station to have the ticket sign off by the police, then pay another $10.00 court fee to file the paper works that your car is FIXED.
I live in CA too, like I said theres varying levels of intensity. BMW has the option to change the burbles with just a phone app. so its nothing to turn it down. I have a friend with a bmw as well, he only turns it up for videos or car shows and keeps it moderate for daily, but yeah it can definitely be annoying at max setting but mine doesnt bother me at all. It barely ever does it, It only happens between 2500-3000 rpm for me so really when I'm rolling around low speed and do it intentionally, I enjoy doing it on command, If I could change it I would maybe add a lil more at different rpms but thats about it. Its really not for everybody, just like loud exhaust is not for everybody.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo9
Originally Posted by iceman2002benz
This is not true. The law was passed June, 2018 and enacted January, 2019. Sorry for the long post in advance.

Here is some more info about this new law:

Fact vs. Fiction: Explaining California’s New Exhaust Noise Law

By SEMA Washington, D.C., Staff
Beginning January 1, 2019, a motorist cited for violating the current California exhaust noise law can receive an immediate fine. Previously, motorists received what is known as a “fix-it” ticket, which allowed for 30 days to correct the violation.The Issue

California Assembly Bill (A.B.) 1824 was signed into law by then-Governor Jerry Brown in June of 2018 as part of the state’s budget process. The legislation amended how California law enforcement officials may issue a citation for exhaust noise violations.

The bill has generated significant concern within the industry and enthusiast community, along with some misinformation. This document seeks to clarify the matter. Most notably, enactment of A.B. 1824 did not change existing laws pertaining to exhaust noise or the sale and installation of aftermarket exhaust systems in California. Here are the facts.

Were California’s exhaust noise rules changed?

No. Since 2003, exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, may not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998). This was not changed by A.B. 1824

Is it now illegal to install an aftermarket exhaust system on my vehicle?

No. The sale and installation of an aftermarket exhaust system remains legal in California so long as it does not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under SAE J1169 and complies with all other exhaust and safety laws and regulations.

If exhaust noise laws didn’t change, what did?

Beginning January 1, 2019, a motorist cited for violating the current California exhaust noise law can receive an immediate fine. Previously, motorists received what is known as a “fix-it” ticket, which allowed for 30-days to correct the violation.

What are my options if I get a ticket?

Consumers in receipt of a ticket still have the option of seeking a certificate of compliance from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) demonstrating that their exhaust emits no more than 95-decibels. This SEMA-sponsored program allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued. BAR does not currently issue preemptive certificates of compliance.

If I get pulled over, will I receive a $1,000 fine?

According to the Judicial Council of California’s Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedules for 2019, the suggested base fine/fee for a first conviction is $25 with a total fee of $193.

I’ve still got questions?

Please contact Christian Robinson, SEMA’s Director of State Government Affairs & SEMA PAC, at stateleg@sema.org.

Resources

BAR Certificate of Compliance

2003 California 95-Decibel Law

Fact vs. Fiction

Below is information from California Bureau of Automotive Repair:

Vehicle Exhaust Noise Level Certification

California law requires that all vehicles must be equipped with an adequate muffler to prevent excessive noise from the exhaust system. It also prohibits the operation of a passenger vehicle (other than a motorcycle), or a truck with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of less than 6,000 pounds, that has an exhaust noise level greater than 95 decibels, when tested under specified conditions.

If you have been issued a citation for operating a vehicle in violation of Vehicle Code Section 27150 or 27151, you must take your vehicle to a state Referee Center.

Note: The Referee is only authorized to inspect and certify passenger cars and trucks under 6,000 GVWR that have been cited for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151 of the Vehicle Code. The maximum decibel level applies only to those vehicles. Citations issued to other vehicles (motorcycles, trucks exceeding 5999 pounds GVWR) are not part of this program. Check with the agency that issued the citation, and/or the court, to find out how to show proof of correction for these other vehicles.

The following steps outline the procedures you'll need to follow to get a certificate of compliance, which shows your vehicle's exhaust noise level is within the applicable standards.

Step 1: If you feel your vehicle's exhaust system has been modified or has deteriorated so that the noise level exceeds current standards, you should have the exhaust system repaired before proceeding to step 2.

OR

If you have reason to believe that your vehicle's exhaust noise level meets the current standards, proceed directly to step 2.

NOTE: Citations have a court appearance date. Timely action can help you avoid additional fines and penalties.

Step 2: Have your vehicle tested at a state Referee Center. To make an appointment, call the Referee Scheduling Center at (800) 622-7733. Have the citation and vehicle registration with you when you call. The Center will tell you any fees that will need to be paid for the test.

Step 3: The Referee will conduct an exhaust noise level test in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard J1169, May 1998, to determine if your vehicle's exhaust noise level exceeds the noise standard (95db).

If your vehicle meets the standard, the Referee will give you a "Certificate of Compliance." Take the certificate to the court (See Step 5).

If your vehicle does not meet the standard, the Referee will give you a report that lists the recorded decibel readings. Your vehicle must be repaired to meet the standard of not more than 95 decibels (See Step 4).

Step 4: If your vehicle does not meet the standard, additional repairs must be made before you can make a second appointment with the Referee Scheduling Center.

Step 5: Once your vehicle receives a "Certificate of Compliance" from a Referee Center, present the certificate to the court as proof that your vehicle is in compliance with California law.

NOTE: Inspection fees and any necessary repairs are your responsibility. You may also be required to pay a fine and other legal costs when reporting to the court. Also, note that most citations have a deadline. Timely repairs can help you avoid additional fines and penalties.

If you have any questions, please contact the local law enforcement agency that issued the citation or the Bureau of Automotive Repair at (800) 952-5210.

Here is more information from SEMA:

CALIFORNIA EXHAUST NOISE TESTING PROGRAM OPEN FOR BUSINESS

The California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) has begun operation of the state’s motor vehicle exhaust noise testing program. The program, the product of a SEMA-sponsored law, will equip California automobile hobbyists to fight unfair exhaust noise citations issued by state law enforcement officers. Motorists can now prove their vehicles comply with state noise standards. The law also allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued.

Approximately 40 Smog Check stations that provide referee functions are performing the test. These referee stations, located across the state, will issue certificates of compliance for vehicles when tests of their exhaust systems demonstrate that they emit no more than 95 decibels, under Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998). However, only those vehicles that have received a citation for an exhaust noise violation will be permitted to submit their vehicle for the test. Later this year, BAR will issue a regulation to provide for the cost to consumers for performing the test. Tests performed prior to the official establishment of the testing fee will be performed at no cost to consumers.

According to BAR officials, to have a cited vehicle tested at a state referee center, motorists must make an appointment by calling a toll-free number. Cited motorists should have the citation and vehicle registration available when calling.

"The new law forces compliance with an objectively measured standard in a fair and predictable test," said SEMA Senior Director of Government Affairs Steve McDonald. "Through this procedure, cited motorists who drive vehicles legally equipped with modified exhaust systems can confirm that those vehicles comply with California’s exhaust noise standards.
"For years, the enforcement policy used by police officers deemed nearly all exhaust system modifications illegal, even where the noise levels were not excessive or unusual," McDonald added. "That policy left exhaust system manufacturers, dealers and their customers without recourse."

Hobbyists who modify their vehicles for durability, appearance and performance "prefer aftermarket exhaust systems," McDonald said. "By establishing this evenhanded testing process, this program should serve to benefit consumers who favor these state-of-the-art products, the aftermarket industry which markets them, and even police officers who are charged with enforcing the law."

Last edited by lvevo; 04-23-2019 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Added Bolding
Old 04-24-2019, 03:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
f250
Originally Posted by MikeyF
As the title states, I'm after more of those wonderful, wonderful deceleration pops and gurgles. Currently, I have a res delete with straight pipes and the sound is great and I do get some nice pops...I just want more.

I've searched and scoured this website and YouTube for hours on end about different exhaust setups and their characteristics, but nothing really gave way to achieving those pops and gurgles. And most of the threads/videos are for c63s and w211s.

My only option is to do a second cat delete (can't afford headers) and I'm SO torn between deleting those with either straight pipe or xpipe. I'm worried that straights the whole way will give that sloppy old American v8 sound and possibly lose low end torque, and then xpipe would pretty much negate my straight res delete and smooth everything out.

All in all I'm torn on the decision and was hoping for some insight on setups that you guys run!

Ps..i have a m156
I would not straight pipe... Unless you really hate yourself. Its loud. Delete your cats, X or H pipe and do some kind of muffler. A more aggressive tune will also help