Sponsored by:

Considering a 2014 E63 AMG S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar XJR
Considering a 2014 E63 AMG S

Hi, I am considering a 2014 AMG S, and i have some questions.

First, I am considering it because I can't justify a new one but I can afford the 50-65k for a 2014. I want a car with great acceleration and comfort. I was considering a Hellcat new, but it seems they have too much power for rear wheel 275's and they just spin the tires.

With that said, I am hesitant to get a used AMG, as I assume someone drove the hell out of it and the warranty will be over, or ending soon. I currently have a 2004 jaguar XJR and I drive it very hard. I take care of it as well as I can, early oil changes, a lot of "check ups" as well as I can do it and from mechanics. I recently had to have the transmission on it rebuilt, and I have no doubt it was due to hard driving.

What are the major points of failure on the 2014 E63 AMG S? Will one that is already nearly 4 years old be able to take another 4+ years of hard acceleration, high speeds and hard cornering? I don't like high powered vehicles to drive them like a little old lady.

How is the air suspension in the rear? The air ride in my Jaguar was a pain in the *** and I ended up replacing it with springs. How tough is the transmission? What should I look out for in the car? Are there any major areas I should self inspect when looking at a used one?

Lastly, is there anything better out there as far as quickness, luxury, and tech for 60K? I can't seem to find anything. It just looks amazing, but there has to be a downside I would assume.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Have you driven one yet? If not, get some seat time and see if it works for you.

Do you plan on modding?
Old 09-09-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
e63-s AMG
Originally Posted by jtc3400

First, I am considering it because I can't justify a new one but I can afford the 50-65k for a 2014. I want a car with great acceleration and comfort. I was considering a Hellcat new, but it seems they have too much power for rear wheel 275's and they just spin the tires.

With that said, I am hesitant to get a used AMG, as I assume someone drove the hell out of it and the warranty will be over, or ending soon. I currently have a 2004 jaguar XJR and I drive it very hard. I take care of it as well as I can, early oil changes, a lot of "check ups" as well as I can do it and from mechanics. I recently had to have the transmission on it rebuilt, and I have no doubt it was due to hard driving.

What are the major points of failure on the 2014 E63 AMG S? Will one that is already nearly 4 years old be able to take another 4+ years of hard acceleration, high speeds and hard cornering? I don't like high powered vehicles to drive them like a little old lady.

How is the air suspension in the rear? The air ride in my Jaguar was a pain in the *** and I ended up replacing it with springs. How tough is the transmission? What should I look out for in the car? Are there any major areas I should self inspect when looking at a used one?

Lastly, is there anything better out there as far as quickness, luxury, and tech for 60K? I can't seem to find anything. It just looks amazing, but there has to be a downside I would assume.

I own a 204e63-s. I may be looking to sell it--I have a w213 ordered, but probably won't arrive at the dealership for who knows how long.

I traded my e92 m3 for the e63. I bought the e63 without driving it--based on Chris Harris' review.

The e63 is a fantastic car. I have an AMS tune and would strongly encourage an ECU modification. I'm looking for a cat back exhaust if I don't wind up getting the w213.

To answer your questions--yes--I do believe the e63 can take another 4 years of aggressive driving. I have a friend who's a MB master tech and he's suggested that the w212 engine is one of the most bullet proof engines that MB has made. I don't beat the hell out of mine--but even with crank HP close to 650 (with the tune)--it's been flawless.

The transmission isn't fantastic-- it's maybe an 8.5/10. BMW's or Porsche's is probably a little smoother.. Steering feel is light. The car does suffer from a stiff suspension--so a soft, compliant ride is lacking to some degree--but the other characteristics of the car make up for it.

The air suspension will likely need to be replaced at some point as my MB tech friend has repeatedly suggested. Not sure if they are fool-proff on any MB vehicle. But the back seat ride isn't bad--my wife has an s550 and my kids don't complain about the harsh ride when they get in my car--so you back seat passengers should be fine.

Points of failure: auxillary battery kind of a pain in the rear--mine had to be replaced twice. Wet clutch doesn't sometimes engage well when at a stop and hammering the throttle (kills the engine when this happens). Stock exhaust not loud enough.

Overall though it's been one of the best cars I've ever owned. And with the tune--it's a monster. I question my decision to get the new one routinely.

You might also consider an rs7 performance. Haven't had seat time, but my neighbor has one and loves it.
The following 3 users liked this post by m3gtr8:
Amg63- (09-11-2017), jtc3400 (09-11-2017), TopazM3 (11-25-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 04:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by jtc3400

The E63 is very well built compared to its predecessors. AMG has a track record for building great cars. I'm sure (and know of) people who owned these cars before and a handful of them never even drive outside of comfort mode. Most of these cars are going to be low mileage anyhow and they're not going to need much. However, if something does go wrong it's not going to be cheap. But neither will any other performance car. Honestly you should go for it if you are looking for a sporty car. It has the versatility of a 4 door and honestly is a great bang for your buck. AMG has great horsepower and torque numbers compared to its competitors--and at the 3-4 year mark, it's a great value buy IMO.
The following users liked this post:
jtc3400 (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar XJR
Thank you for the replies. I can only afford one good car, so I can't have a "toy" and then a normal every day car like some people have. I am single and make about 100k a year, my family and friends already think I am a fool for spending over 30-40k on a car but I like nice cars... I normal living expenses and don't spend money on anything else really. I look for cars that are all in one. The E 63 AMG S seems to fit the bill there nicely. Honestly, I am still quite nervous about the possible repairs. After my Jaguar XJR I told myself I would not buy another car with air ride because it seems to fail easily, but at least this only has them on the rear, I suppose fixing two beats fixing four. A Warranty looks like it would be a must, what do you suggest is the best way of getting one for a used e63?

I was interested in the RS7 but I can't seem to find many used. If I search for E63 AMG S however, a lot more seem to pop up. I was also interested in an Audi S8, but the S8 plus is a pretty large upgrade and kinda killed the regular S8 for me. By contrast, at least from what I have read, the 2017 E63 S isn't too much of an upgrade from the 2014-2016 versions.

Last edited by jtc3400; 09-11-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 911 Likes on 641 Posts
E63S | X5
To try to give you some peace of mind when it comes to air ride... You're talkin' about an 04 Jag vs. a 14+ MB. The tech is 10 years newer and Jag isn't exactly known for reliable cars, especially when it comes to 13 year old cars.

Also, arnott makes air suspensions that come with lifetime warranties. I'm not sure if they are available for our platform yet, but surely will be if not already.

I love mine. Had 2 c63s and stepped up to the E. Tune, catless downpipes, and this car is a riot. It isn't the "best" per se as the BMW/Audi counterparts (m5/rs7) have better transmissions and can go a little deeper in the aftermarket world. However they aren't without faults, either, as the M owners spend more time in the shop and the Audi guys have eye issues because that car beyond the front end looks like butt cheeks. Appearance is a personal thing though so I can't say how your eye takes in the car.

Great time to buy these. You'll have some factory warranty remaining and they are almost 50% off from where they MSRP'd a couple years ago.