Potential new owner questions, E63 AMG Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo V60 Polestar
Potential new owner questions, E63 AMG Wagon

Hi,

Potential new owner of a 2012 E63 AMG wagon. The car in question has fairly low miles (28K) and appears to have a clean record. It has no factory warranty remaining and there is no CPO option. Would members here recommend an extended warranty? This would be my first AMG car and I don't know the reputation for reliability. I'm hoping to keep this one for many years.

Also, being a 2012 how's the cabin tech? I'm hoping I'll get ipod to work... that's all I really care about.

Advice welcome. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon
Speaking personally, I would absolutely recommend extended warranty with any M-B. Especially AMG.

We had a 2010 GL350 that had to have had $15,000 in mechanical work done under a CPO Extended Warranty - worth every penny and then some.

Haven't had to use them yet on the 2016 GL350 (still under new, but with extended to 7/100k), 2016 GLA45 (also new, also extended) or 2016 E63s CPO (also extended). Not a matter of if, but when

Can't speak to 2012 cabin, but the 2010 GL - wife thought it was nicer, more refined, though lower tech. I tend to agree.

Hope that helps, good luck, these E63 cars are just ridiculous and so fun to drive the speed limit
Old 09-13-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by MrBell
Also, being a 2012 how's the cabin tech? I'm hoping I'll get ipod to work... that's all I really care about.

Advice welcome. Thanks!
I can speak to that too - so, if by work you mean Apple CarPlay integration - my understanding is no go. You need min 2016 car with a post 9/2015 manufacture date to have a chance. For example, my 2016 GLA45 was built 10/2015 - had multimedia package, and we were able to upgrade the software to enable CarPlay and Android Auto. Our GL350 however has the previous gen tech, even though it is a 2016 - and it is not possible to upgrade.

Our 2016 E63s has the later tech - but we haven't tried for an upgrade on that one yet. I assume it would be the same as our GLA - same base system.

If you mean bluetooth - the experience is pretty good already. In fact, Android Auto wasn't all that and I just use blue tooth audio with my Samsung 8+. Does all I need it to.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E63 AMG Wagon
Reviving this old thread, as I have til Monday to decide on whether to purchase a 2 year extended warranty on my 'new to me' 2012 E63 wagon - 46k miles, super clean, checked out clean at the MB PPI, felt great on test drive ...
will likely drive less than 5k a year, so wondering the same, if spending 3800$ is worth it, (more years starts getting expensive) or take the risk?

My gut tells me buy it and drive it without worrying about catastrophic failure, but then again, I haven't seen too many issues with these cars...

I have an 07 ZO6 for track use, so I'm not gonna be trashing this car, but, I DO wanna drive it with some peace of mind!

Thoughts?

Also, I am checking on a company that does upgrades for the Navi system on these cars... will advise when I find out more.

Originally Posted by MrBell
Hi,

Potential new owner of a 2012 E63 AMG wagon. The car in question has fairly low miles (28K) and appears to have a clean record. It has no factory warranty remaining and there is no CPO option. Would members here recommend an extended warranty? This would be my first AMG car and I don't know the reputation for reliability. I'm hoping to keep this one for many years.

Advice welcome. Thanks!