Sponsored by:

Instrument cluster failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
993 cab, 2014 E63 AMG 4matic T
Instrument cluster failure

Car is a 2014 E63 AMG wagon, all stock, no mods. App. 36k miles, German car. Drove some 150 miles in one stint, stopped to add a passenger, started engine and kept driving. Within 5 minutes, all warning lights came on in the central display, one after another, followed by error messages for just about everything you can select within the cluster. Car kept shifting and driving normally the whole time.
I stopped, restarted but no luck, all lights, temp. gauge, speedo and rpm's kept going up, down and completely out. Car is still under warranty so I called the 24h MB road side assistance. Some guy showed up app. 1/2 h later and hooked up the Star Diagnostics. Instantly showed some 50 + error codes. No connection to the can bus for any system on board. At this point, the headlights started going disco. On off, leveling left right, up and down, not finding a position to rest. Had to pull both plugs on the lights. Once we did that, the instrument cluster started to come back to life, just to fail again a short time later, this time the power steering cut out and later on the blinkers malfunctioned too.
The service guy had me follow him to the shop. Wasn't easy w/o ps. Car's been in the shop for 1.5 weeks now, still waiting for a new cluster. Del. time is app. 2 - 3 weeks is what they told me.
We'll see if this will fix it. They were thinking that the cluster lost it's programming but at this point they're startled. They never had a situation like this.
Enclosed a short video when the error codes started coming up. It's all in German but you get what's going on.
Ed
Old 10-09-2017, 03:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Ya gotta wonder if mice have been chewing wiring looms somewhere ... I’ve never read about anything like this thus far
Old 10-11-2017, 03:09 PM

So far, visual check showed no evidence of rodents.
Everything's apart, waiting for the new cluster.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:16 AM

Update,
Car spent a total of 11 weeks in the shop, waiting for the new instrument cluster. Programming took 4 hours and error was resolved. No other issues came up during a short test drive.
So I took the car for our first longer trip and now the car jumps from a stop, as soon as you ease off the brake pedal. I used to be able to creep forwards into the garage. Last night I almost hit the wall in front of me. Shut the car down and the cooling fan came on and kept going on low speed. It's never done this before, even in summer with AC on and hot temps outside. I checked 15 minutes later and the fan was still going. Fired up the engine and shut it down again. Fan stopped. Temp gauge for oil and water was within normal operating temps.
I'm afraid I'll be heading back to the shop again.
Merry Xmas and happy holidays
Ed