Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M157 alternatives for making power and saving money

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS63, S55
For some reason I thought you only get the 2 small pipes and not the rest of the piping to the resonator. The price is not so bad then and you can always upgrade to the true downpipes in the future but I dont understand the pricing differences. Why are the true downpipes 2k more in price for the rwd version???

Last edited by Mikeki7; 11-10-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 465 Likes on 205 Posts
2007 e350 sport. 2010 350 4matic sport. Worlds first W212 E63R self built.
Originally Posted by 10speed
I was thinking there’s actually 3 sections of the exhaust system , Downpipes (short pipe from exhaust side of turbo) , the Cats(midpipes)bolt to the downpipes , then the resonator and muffler section
for some reason I got it backwards lol and the crazy thing is I made my own downpipes more then 4 times lol.
vw Audi world it’s just downpipes to exhaust. Atleast the older models

Last edited by Cifdig; 11-10-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
Originally Posted by Mikeki7
For some reason I thought you only get the 2 small pipes and not the rest of the piping to the resonator. The price is not so bad then and you can always upgrade to the true downpipes in the future but I dont understand the pricing differences. Why are the true downpipes 2k more in price for the rwd version???
i know that price for the true Downpipe is crazy ,must be made of a special materials and costly coatings plus I have the 4matic you have to drop the engine to install them , but if you know the car and dropped the engine before I heard it’s pretty easy,
Me personally I’m leaning towards Weistec tune, filters , and midpipes and done , keep it short and simple , there tune is also good for 91 octane but I will use 93 for cushion .
Old 11-10-2017, 07:35 PM

i know that price for the true Downpipe is crazy ,must be made of a special materials and costly coatings plus I have the 4matic you have to drop the engine to install them , but if you know the car and dropped the engine before I heard it’s pretty easy,
Me personally I’m leaning towards Weistec tune, filters , and midpipes and done , keep it short and simple , there tune is also good for 91 octane but I will use 93 for cushion .

that sounds about right. That package right there will hold its own next to mostpower houses. I just received back my new updated tune. Car feels insane. Where in ny are you. I can show you what a good eurocharged tune and do lol jump in the passenger side
Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
Originally Posted by Cifdig
that sounds about right. That package right there will hold its own next to mostpower houses. I just received back my new updated tune. Car feels insane. Where in ny are you. I can show you what a good eurocharged tune and do lol jump in the passenger side
Lol sounds good , I’m in Queens, I mostly go in Long Island,I heard good things about Eurocharged too, what other mods do you have ? What are you doing for exhaust and intake ??
The following users liked this post:
Sltncls63 (08-25-2020)
Old 11-10-2017, 08:33 PM

Lol sounds good , I’m in Queens, I mostly go in Long Island,I heard good things about Eurocharged too, what other mods do you have ? What are you doing for exhaust and intake ??
you have red seats? I may have seen you. Exhaust I removed resonators, removed stock mufflers and replaced with magnaflow 3” straight through , gutted cats,. Intake is k&n filter with the intake slates shaved, intake holes plugged and water meth pre turbo. So my intake velocity and temps are A+ lol
Old 11-05-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
Originally Posted by Cifdig
turbulence usually affects N.A cars, because it does use exhaust scavenging, but I have done dyno comparison from going to straight pipe catless from gutless cat, and it showed no gain at all. 2 cars tested were both 350whp Audi-vw. The exhaust side of the turbo has so much force coming out I think it cancels out any turbulence that may be accruing. Sound may be the only difference. I just don’t feel the 2,500 for downpipes is worth it. Again from the turbo back I’m sure there is a decent power to be had. Because the diameter from the turbo down is changed . But even that in my opinion not worth it. Cost way to much to remove the engine to get them installed, the power gain vs dollars is not there. Now if you are upgrading turbos!!! That’s a diff story.

side note. I’m waiting to hit the dyno to get my EC stage 2 numbers . But I have numbers showing when I went catless after my first EC stage 1 dyno. That way I can record factual gains. That way us m157 owners know what we are gaining when going catless without being tuned for it

Reviving this thread because I have a question

I appreciate all the tips you gave I will most likely be doing all of them however,
ive watched a video about m157 by Tasos on youtube and he frequently complains about the size and setup of the turbo wastegate for m157
and how it can negatively effect the life of the turbos
with that being said, do you think true turboback downpipes would be beneficial for maintaining the life of the turbos?

personally due to costs and reviews from many people I am leaning towards the gutted cats option but I am thinking if a true turboback would be beneficial for the life of the turbo maybe I should just bite the bullet and get turboback pipes?

what is your opinion on this?
Old 11-06-2018, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Thanks for the review on the UPD intake spacer kit!