Advice on Aftermarket Shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 02:04 AM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 E63 AMG Estate
Advice on Aftermarket Shocks

Hi,

First post for me. The rear right shock on my W212/S212 E63 wagon has recently failed, and there is really no aftermarket support in Australia. The quote I've received from my workshop leans on the official AU delivery network of MB, and the costs are just obscene. One shock, delivered from Germany (not fitted), works out to $2,044.38AUD and I'm looking at replacing both.

I have an order processing at the moment online through a US stockist (for OEM parts) that is significantly cheaper and am waiting for it to be processed and shipped to me. But, I have a few questions in the meantime, if someone has the experience or advice.

The parts that I'm replacing are:
212-320-27-30 - Rear Left Shock Absorber
212-320-28-30 - Rear Right Shock Absorber

These items are clearly marked as being made for the wagon, NOT the sedan. And this is the point of concern whenever I start searching for aftermarket options.

There are local Bilstein suppliers in Australia and I'm trying to determine if Bilstein make a product that is applicable to the wagon? If they do, has someone tried them or can they advise on a part number/product number, as I'm not getting too far at the moment with their catalogue and my online request hasn't received a response? Searching for an applicable product is proving difficult.

I appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Bilstein shocks are as good as you wil get .Used on most cars .And well know for their products But i think you have the waggon and it might have the self leveling suspension .Now thats not like a normal shockabsorber and would account for the price from mb .
Old 11-12-2017, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,174 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I think the rear is airmatic and it's basically Arnott that makes aftermarket ones. There are also companies in the US that will rebuild them if you send them your old one. Not sure what you have available there.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/prod...-incl-amg/2012

Those part numbers in the US are for airmatic and they list for about $985 and mail order they're about $700 each.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
maybe go directly thru monroe..i believe they made the suspension for our cars....yeah i couldnt believe it either when i saw the sticker on it