Cls 550 or e63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Cls 550 or e63

Made some money on stocks and I want to spend a little bit. I always want a n.a. V8 mercedes and there are two nicely appointed V8s that caught my eye. One ia a 2012 E63 with 89k on the motor and a 2013 CLS 550 4matic with 99k on the motor. Bought cars are equiped to the gills. Both are white with black interior and both are in immaculate condition except for normal wear and tear on the driver's nappa leather seat which I will be replaced anyway if I purchase either one. If I purchase the car it will be on my garage until I die. I am willing to spend money on it for maintenance and recondition whatever needs to be done to bring it to a as new like condition. Always like the 4 eyed/ boxy E-class and I also like the CLS....I am torn.

When the dealer loaned me a E550 convertible 4 years ago I fell in love with the V8. I know the AMG version will be heck a lot more fun but the 550 engine is more than enough to double my speeding tickets. So yup the seed was planted and now that seed has grown. The car will only be driven mostly during summer or to occasional I want to burn some rubber moments so it will be my ultinate garage queen. I can buy a new E63 easily or a Porsche or even go for a lamborghini but I rather put the money in restoring a car that I feel in love with before and still have some cash for the gas for x amount of years. Also I barely see a four eyed e-class right now not to mention in AMG form.

So can the E63 folks pursuade me to go AMG route or not to be "stupid-er" and go with the CLS.

By the way the E63 is priced at 39k and the CLS at 41k.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
I would go with a 2012 E63 but find one with less than 40,000 miles on it.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
‘17 Carrera GTS, ‘16 E63 Estate, 1965 Shelby Cobra and a few more
I have had both of these cars and would not advise either of them with those miles on the odometer. It’s not the mechanicals that are problematic, I think Mercedes engines (like Porsche) can go 200k miles under normal conditions without major issues. The problems with these cars, indeed all modern cars, is the electronics that permeate everything in the machine. I would not buy another CLS for a few reasons, in spite of the fact that I really enjoyed that car. The ergonomics are terrible, from the button locations to the center-console rear seating with limited headroom. Road noise is a problem, as is visibility.

At any rate, I’m confused by the premise of your post, which is your desire for a naturally aspirated Mercedes but then you focus on two models that are both twin-turbo powerplants. The E63 is a twin-turbo 5.5 liter while the 2012 CLS550 is a twin-turbo 4.7 liter.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
Made some money on stocks and I want to spend a little bit. I always want a n.a. V8 mercedes and there are two nicely appointed V8s that caught my eye. One ia a 2012 E63 with 89k on the motor and a 2013 CLS 550 4matic with 99k on the motor. Bought cars are equiped to the gills. Both are white with black interior and both are in immaculate condition except for normal wear and tear on the driver's nappa leather seat which I will be replaced anyway if I purchase either one. If I purchase the car it will be on my garage until I die. I am willing to spend money on it for maintenance and recondition whatever needs to be done to bring it to a as new like condition. Always like the 4 eyed/ boxy E-class and I also like the CLS....I am torn.

When the dealer loaned me a E550 convertible 4 years ago I fell in love with the V8. I know the AMG version will be heck a lot more fun but the 550 engine is more than enough to double my speeding tickets. So yup the seed was planted and now that seed has grown. The car will only be driven mostly during summer or to occasional I want to burn some rubber moments so it will be my ultinate garage queen. I can buy a new E63 easily or a Porsche or even go for a lamborghini but I rather put the money in restoring a car that I feel in love with before and still have some cash for the gas for x amount of years. Also I barely see a four eyed e-class right now not to mention in AMG form.

So can the E63 folks pursuade me to go AMG route or not to be "stupid-er" and go with the CLS.

By the way the E63 is priced at 39k and the CLS at 41k.
Any reason to go n/a?
The ‘13 cls550 is a biturbo, awd and a beast with a tune as well. Owned a modded ‘12 CLS63, father has the CLS550, and now own a ‘14 E63.
AMG and 550 are entirely different animals, drive and feel different. Biturbo will make you feel the torque bigtime compared to n/a, better resale value also. If you like slightly smaller/more agile feel do the E. Also consider rwd vs awd for where you live and whether you like tire spin or not.
Hard to go wrong with either, don’t service it at the dealer out of warranty and save a ton, good luck!