E63S Trans Modes Explained....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
E63S Trans Modes Explained....

have had my 2015 e63 for about 18 months now with 23k miles on it and have never fully figured out the transmission mode differences.

i found this interesting article about the transmission modes and assuming its accurate would make me try to drive more in M (manual) mode if that is the fastest shift setting.

i typically drive in S+ which feels solid ripping through 1-2-3rd gears and fast, but i get a noticeable blip/pause (with exhaust bark) as it goes from 3rd to 4th gear in S+ mode at WOT which i would assume should be seamless and much smoother.

Here's the article - would welcome any other readings that help explain the trans modes if there is more to explain than what is written up here - cheers J

"MCT stands for Multi-Clutch Technology, and those clutches are the sole executors of gear changes. In the Manual mode, the gearbox managed to shift gears in just 100 milliseconds. That is incredibly fast, but the unit also had a comfort mode for day-to-day driving, as well as two sport modes. The first of them was 20% swifter than the Comfort mode, and the second Sport mode was 20% prompter than the previous. Meanwhile, the Manual mode is an extra 10% quicker than the S+ mode, which was the most rapid automated operating mode of that transmission. " https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...ms-112461.html

all i could find below from Mercedes about the trans options....................

http://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSi...ml?oid=9904482

http://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite/instance/ko.xhtml?oid=9903583&filename=A-new-benchmark-in-performance-dynamism-and-efficiency-The-new-E-63-AMG--with-4MATIC-and-as-S-Model&ls=L2VuL2luc3RhbmNlL2tvLnhodG1sP29pZD05MjY3N jQzJnJlbElkPTEwMDEmZnJvbU9pZD05MjY3NjQzJmJvcmRlcnM 9dHJ1ZSZyZXN1bHRJbmZvVHlwZUlkPTE3MiZ2aWV3VHlwZT10a HVtYnMmc29ydERlZmluaXRpb249bWFudWFsc29ydC0xJnRodW1 iU2NhbGVJbmRleD0wJnJvd0NvdW50c0luZGV4PTU!&rs=0

AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission for personal set-up
Maximum individuality and customised dynamics – these are the special strengths of the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission. The four modes – "C" (Controlled Efficiency), "S" (Sport), "S+" (Sport plus) and "M" (Manual) - offer the driver a personal set-up. In "C" mode, the ECO start/stop function is active and switches off the eight-cylinder engine when the vehicle is at a standstill. In addition, the transmission characteristics are tangibly soft, with smooth and early gear changes. Second gear is generally used as the starting gear in this mode.
The engine and transmission are far more agile in "S", "S+" and "M" mode; in addition, the ECO start/stop function is deactivated. Partial suppression of the cylinders proves perfect for an emphatic driving style: briefly and precisely interrupting ignition and injection under full load leads to even faster gearshifts with a more emotional sound than before. An automatic double-declutching function for downshifting and the RACE START function are also included as standard with the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission.

Last edited by jvakos; 03-03-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
It definitely feels the fastest shifting when in Manual mode, there's an extra kick there that isn't present in S+
Old 03-03-2018, 05:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,411 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
S mode with sprintbooster on green is my sweet spot; suspension at S+

Last edited by PeterUbers; 03-03-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
S mode with sprintbooster on green is my sweet spot; suspension at S+
Peter - how does the sprintbooster feel in S+ mode? A little too jumpy/jerky with the throttle? Might just go ahead and get one of those as I had one in my C32 and the throttle responsiveness felt better.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,411 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by jvakos
Peter - how does the sprintbooster feel in S+ mode? A little too jumpy/jerky with the throttle? Might just go ahead and get one of those as I had one in my C32 and the throttle responsiveness felt better.
sprintbooster in S+ is actually very nice so long it's on green; red is uncomfortable

i enjoy the throttle so much more on this car with the sprintbooster, in C, S, and S+

you wont regret the purchase
The following users liked this post:
jvakos (03-06-2018)