Sponsored by:

New member with E63 in Ohio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
None currently
New member with E63 in Ohio

Just wanted to say hello, as I acquired almost new 7 year old E63 recently that I'm excited about. I was specifically searching for a 2011 M156 E63, as I love the big old-fashioned AMG hotrod motor and fell in love with the sound of it. I know the TT's are more tunable - I'm not sure I feel the need to go much beyond 518HP. I was looking for the last year of the big V8, and what was incredible about this car is the very low miles (only 4,900!) and the way the prior owner cared for it. Records show oil was changed every year (averaging 700-ish miles per oil change), it really looks like it just rolled off the line. VIN shows this car was built after the headbolt issue was resolved. The options are almost perfect for me. Thanks for letting me share it.

Last edited by dn325ci; 04-09-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
2016 E63 AMG-S, 2007 FERRARI 430, 2001 JEEP WRANGLER 60TH ANNI. EDITION SOLD 2011 E550 4matic
So you're the second owner and found this in a barn
Old 04-19-2018, 09:08 PM

None currently
Originally Posted by ScoponeCazzone
So you're the second owner and found this in a barn
You got it. Unusual for me, too.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:45 PM

2016 E63 AMG-S, 2007 FERRARI 430, 2001 JEEP WRANGLER 60TH ANNI. EDITION SOLD 2011 E550 4matic
How did you come across it
Old 04-19-2018, 11:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Does it still smell new?!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:20 AM

None currently
How did you come across it
Good question. My approach was a little bit about patience, and I've had some success in the past buying cars at a distance. Since I wanted a specific vintage (M156 W212 E63, limiting me to model years 2010 and 2011) with low miles and some other particular interests, I set up alerts and watched auto trader.com and cars.com daily. There were several examples that came up for sale with low 20,000 mile odometers - two of them I actually tried to buy but didn't get the deal done in time. I'm thankful for that now, because when this 5K mile gem came up 350 miles from my home, traded in at a Jaguar/Land Rover dealer, I was ready for it.

BTW, I found a method of buying Carfax's + Autocheck's much cheaper than retail. PM me if anyone is interested in that. I verified everything in every way I could. I found a few Houston flood cars on the market not advertised as flood cars - be careful out there! I considered one because it was so cheap for a Renntech special, but the universal advice I received was there was no circumstances under which any expert I talked to would buy a flood car.

Don
Old 04-20-2018, 09:23 AM

None currently
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Does it still smell new?!
It is no exaggeration to say that it does. Surprises me, frankly. You get the smell immediately when you open the door.

Don
Old 04-20-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by dn325ci
Good question. My approach was a little bit about patience, and I've had some success in the past buying cars at a distance. Since I wanted a specific vintage (M156 W212 E63, limiting me to model years 2010 and 2011) with low miles and some other particular interests, I set up alerts and watched auto trader.com and cars.com daily. There were several examples that came up for sale with low 20,000 mile odometers - two of them I actually tried to buy but didn't get the deal done in time. I'm thankful for that now, because when this 5K mile gem came up 350 miles from my home, traded in at a Jaguar/Land Rover dealer, I was ready for it.

BTW, I found a method of buying Carfax's + Autocheck's much cheaper than retail. PM me if anyone is interested in that. I verified everything in every way I could. I found a few Houston flood cars on the market not advertised as flood cars - be careful out there! I considered one because it was so cheap for a Renntech special, but the universal advice I received was there was no circumstances under which any expert I talked to would buy a flood car.

Don
post more pics of the engine bay, under carriage, etc. Im meticulous also when it comes to buying cars and finding diamonds in the rough as well. The search itself is a thrill then the find checks out is rewarding. This previous owner sold it traded it in to a dealership. ...
Old 04-20-2018, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GMC Sierra Denali
post more pics of the engine bay, under carriage, etc. Im meticulous also when it comes to buying cars and finding diamonds in the rough as well. The search itself is a thrill then the find checks out is rewarding. This previous owner sold it traded it in to a dealership. ...
Congrats! O-H!
Old 04-21-2018, 12:08 AM

None currently
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBenz
Congrats! O-H!
I-O!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Congrats and an excellent find! That motor is to die for...
Old 04-21-2018, 05:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
I just purchased a 2010 E63 AMG yesterday. I'd love to know what price you paid for your low mile one if you felt like sharing. I know you're loving yours too
Old 04-22-2018, 09:48 PM

None currently
Originally Posted by THXETHAMG
I just purchased a 2010 E63 AMG yesterday. I'd love to know what price you paid for your low mile one if you felt like sharing. I know you're loving yours too
I'm usually not that guy that discusses prices, but in the spirit of the question you asking, let me make you feel better about your deal - I paid what I consider substantially and significantly above market. I was interested in finding the most pristine example for sale in the country, and I would have bought it from anywhere. I knew what this car represented and so did the fellow I dealt with, who was the General Manager of a large dealership experienced in interstate sales. I got them to knock 10% off their ask, but I paid I would estimate at least another 10% above the market rate for the low mile cars in the 25-35K miles zone.

I could rationalize it a number of different ways, but won't bother. Our evaluation after owning it a few weeks is that the interior, exterior and (now that I've had it on my own lift) mechanically it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. My wife in particular is astonished by it. We have seven vehicles in our garage right now, but this one feels like a $100K car for more than 60% off, which is a happy place for us. I sure you're enthralled with your E63 just as much - enjoy it!
Old 04-23-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Most of them
Insane! You've got some catching up to do, i just ticked over 150,000 miles today in my '10 E63

It is cool to see one of these in such factory fresh condition. Just looking at the steering wheel in that condition is crazy.

Do you plan to keep the mileage down or drive it a lot?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:06 PM

None currently
Originally Posted by dinman
Insane! You've got some catching up to do, i just ticked over 150,000 miles today in my '10 E63

It is cool to see one of these in such factory fresh condition. Just looking at the steering wheel in that condition is crazy.

Do you plan to keep the mileage down or drive it a lot?
Wow, you're giving me hope, brother! 150K - congratulations! You must be good at maintaining such a fine car. This E63 will be my primary car, which means it will probably get about 12,000 miles a year. Still, after 7 years of <1K / year, I guess it will always be "low miles."

Don
Old 04-23-2018, 07:10 PM

Most of them
Wow, you're giving me hope, brother! 150K - congratulations! You must be good at maintaining such a fine car. This E63 will be my primary car, which means it will probably get about 12,000 miles a year. Still, after 7 years of <1K / year, I guess it will always be "low miles."

Don
Thanks! I would imagine if you take care of yours it will last for a very very long time. Would love to have purchased mine at only 4900 miles.

I change oil every 5k with Mobil1 0w-40 Synthetic. Check it at least once a week to make sure it isn't low (which it never is, mine tends to consume about a half a qt every 5k miles)

I also never rev it high before the oil temp hits 176 degrees.

No plans to ever sell mine. It has high miles, and has been wrecked (minor) twice under my ownership, but it still would more than likely show on a carfax or something of that sort.

My biggest issue besides tires has been that the transmission computer and conductor plate had to be replaced. Car would not go into gear.

Other than that, just wear parts. Engine mounts, Serpentine belt, cracked oil cap, etc. Cracked airmatic line due to old age, replaced that.

It has been phenomenal for me. Comfortable daily driver/road trip car with plenty of features, not to mention a very addicting drivetrain
The following users liked this post:
dn325ci (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 02:38 AM

Don
when it's all said and done at 12k miles a year yours will have a lot more miles than mine. I barely drive mine monthly, let alone yearly, Helps having other cars and traveling for months during the year. You driving it as a daily will drop it's value fast. I wouldn't have a car like that and rack up the miles.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:08 AM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
when it's all said and done at 12k miles a year yours will have a lot more miles than mine. I barely drive mine monthly, let alone yearly, Helps having other cars and traveling for months during the year. You driving it as a daily will drop it's value fast. I wouldn't have a car like that and rack up the miles.
People are different, it's also a nice way to enjoy the car and all it's capabilities.... Life is short - live a little and enjoy it!
Frankly, 4 door sedans will never be really collectible anyhow (which some rare exceptions) so age will make depreciation increase fast,. A low mileage car may be worth $10k or so more than a high mileage one in 5-9 years, but that's about it. And think of all the fun he has had driving it!
dn325ci (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 09:33 AM

None currently
Yep. I'm OK with that. Though this car has been a garage queen, I didn't buy it for that purpose. It's role in our garage at least for now is as my primary. If history is an indicator, it will probably get 12K miles per year while it has that role. I don't like odometer watching - I'll enjoy it. Probably won't get driven in winter as I have a 4x4 for that.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:35 AM

None currently
No plans to ever sell mine. It has high miles, and has been wrecked (minor) twice under my ownership, but it still would more than likely show on a carfax or something of that sort.
Your comment reminded me that the first M156 E63 I drove was a 72,000 mile car at a local independent dealer in Mason, OH. At that time I was looking for a car in general and hadn't settled in on what I wanted. I arrived on a sunny day in a bright red Alfa Romeo 4C and drove up and down a few aisles looking for this baby blue E63. When I found it, it had a coat of dirt on it like it had not been driven in some time. Though really busy at the dealership at 11am on a sunny Saturday, 3 people came out of the dealership to see what the red car was.

They bring the key out, and while they're all standing there, I get in, push the start button. Nothing. A couple more tries - not even a flicker on the dash. Somebody suggests pulling the key cover off and using the key directly in the dash. Nothing. That sends the group on a hunt for the battery - is it under the hood or trunk like a BMW? They find it beneath a black cover under the hood. They call over a portable battery charger and connect it to the battery, and now the dash lights up. Turn the key - nothing. We wait. 5 minutes feels like a month. Again - nothing. They bring a second battery charger over and connect it in parallel to the first. Turn the key - nothing. The guy who I believe to be the leader and visually appears to be of an Asian descent, is clearly a smart, personable guy and says in 80% english something approaching "Hard to start the big engine". He is immediately on a cell phone, orders a full replacement battery for the E63, and asks if I can wait 15-20 minutes while it gets delivered from the local auto parts store. I agree.

So everyone scatters for 20 minutes and I'm alone checking out the baby blue E63 with the almond interior. I decide I'm not a fan of the almond, mostly because the materials MB has used appear to be fading/aging at different rates. I also notice that there is a pinstripe down the passenger's side of the car, but not on the driver's side. Driver's side could have been repainted. The headlights are yellowing. There is oil residue all around the port side of the engine. I decide this example has probably lived a hard life.

Battery arrives, it's quickly installed, and the big V8 roars to life on the first try probably 45 minutes after I had originally arrived. Everyone is apologetic, and as I head off alone in the E63 I feel like I am justified in a lengthier-than-average test drive right now. I head north to the country roads north of Cincinnati, south of Dayton. This tired example of an E63 moves with the speed and sound and grace of something completely different. I'm at first impressed with the vault - so incredibly solid, rattle free, well-dampened and controlled movements of the chassis and even the little things like the switchgear. I imagine that anyone who has ever driven a W212 E63 must sense how uncannily solid and seemingly well-engineered it is. It's beyond all the BMW's we have & had.

Long story long now, the way that E63 poured itself down those backroads was poetry. The glorious sounds of the V8 at high revs, and the extraordinary comfort of the high-speed I-71 run back to the dealer convinced me my next car would be an M156 E63. That car had 18 inch wheels, and the one I ultimately bought has the forged 19's, which makes the ride slightly more coarse, but I love the look and wouldn't change a thing. It's a stunning cruise missile. As I read later in Jonny Lieberman's review, it was probably the best car offered for sale at that time.

Sorry so long, but thought I would share what convinced me to buy an E63!

Last edited by dn325ci; 04-24-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:02 PM

Yep. I'm OK with that. Though this car has been a garage queen, I didn't buy it for that purpose. It's role in our garage at least for now is as my primary. If history is an indicator, it will probably get 12K miles per year while it has that role. I don't like odometer watching - I'll enjoy it. Probably won't get driven in winter as I have a 4x4 for that.
Understood. I didn't know your intentions for the vehicle. I don't watch the odometer on mine but I take turns driving my vehicles. I also enjoy mine. In fact I drive mine a lot without any music at all. Windows down, sunroof open. I just love hearing the sound of my E63S. I'm not at all into Rap hiphop, so when the nuisances of those types pull up to me I just ignore it and listen to the thunderous sound my beast makes. You kind of got me thinking to look into finding a version like yours. Maybe not such low mileage but low enough, one owner, no accidents, and stock.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:47 AM

None currently
Understood. I didn't know your intentions for the vehicle. I don't watch the odometer on mine but I take turns driving my vehicles. I also enjoy mine. In fact I drive mine a lot without any music at all. Windows down, sunroof open. I just love hearing the sound of my E63S. I'm not at all into Rap hiphop, so when the nuisances of those types pull up to me I just ignore it and listen to the thunderous sound my beast makes. You kind of got me thinking to look into finding a version like yours. Maybe not such low mileage but low enough, one owner, no accidents, and stock.
You and I are the same kinda guy - I like driving the same way.
MaschioneCazzuto (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 11:05 AM

You and I are the same kinda guy - I like driving the same way.
I'm very old school, from the days when handshake was a signature. Thats how I was taught by my father grandfather uncles. Taught me to appreciate the engineering behind a car and not just drive the car as a tool to feel empowered. Unfortunately most of my generation is pathetic.
dn325ci (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 04:28 PM

Most of them
Your comment reminded me that the first M156 E63 I drove was a 72,000 mile car at a local independent dealer in Mason, OH. At that time I was looking for a car in general and hadn't settled in on what I wanted. I arrived on a sunny day in a bright red Alfa Romeo 4C and drove up and down a few aisles looking for this baby blue E63. When I found it, it had a coat of dirt on it like it had not been driven in some time. Though really busy at the dealership at 11am on a sunny Saturday, 3 people came out of the dealership to see what the red car was.

They bring the key out, and while they're all standing there, I get in, push the start button. Nothing. A couple more tries - not even a flicker on the dash. Somebody suggests pulling the key cover off and using the key directly in the dash. Nothing. That sends the group on a hunt for the battery - is it under the hood or trunk like a BMW? They find it beneath a black cover under the hood. They call over a portable battery charger and connect it to the battery, and now the dash lights up. Turn the key - nothing. We wait. 5 minutes feels like a month. Again - nothing. They bring a second battery charger over and connect it in parallel to the first. Turn the key - nothing. The guy who I believe to be the leader and visually appears to be of an Asian descent, is clearly a smart, personable guy and says in 80% english something approaching "Hard to start the big engine". He is immediately on a cell phone, orders a full replacement battery for the E63, and asks if I can wait 15-20 minutes while it gets delivered from the local auto parts store. I agree.

So everyone scatters for 20 minutes and I'm alone checking out the baby blue E63 with the almond interior. I decide I'm not a fan of the almond, mostly because the materials MB has used appear to be fading/aging at different rates. I also notice that there is a pinstripe down the passenger's side of the car, but not on the driver's side. Driver's side could have been repainted. The headlights are yellowing. There is oil residue all around the port side of the engine. I decide this example has probably lived a hard life.

Battery arrives, it's quickly installed, and the big V8 roars to life on the first try probably 45 minutes after I had originally arrived. Everyone is apologetic, and as I head off alone in the E63 I feel like I am justified in a lengthier-than-average test drive right now. I head north to the country roads north of Cincinnati, south of Dayton. This tired example of an E63 moves with the speed and sound and grace of something completely different. I'm at first impressed with the vault - so incredibly solid, rattle free, well-dampened and controlled movements of the chassis and even the little things like the switchgear. I imagine that anyone who has ever driven a W212 E63 must sense how uncannily solid and seemingly well-engineered it is. It's beyond all the BMW's we have & had.

Long story long now, the way that E63 poured itself down those backroads was poetry. The glorious sounds of the V8 at high revs, and the extraordinary comfort of the high-speed I-71 run back to the dealer convinced me my next car would be an M156 E63. That car had 18 inch wheels, and the one I ultimately bought has the forged 19's, which makes the ride slightly more coarse, but I love the look and wouldn't change a thing. It's a stunning cruise missile. As I read later in Jonny Lieberman's review, it was probably the best car offered for sale at that time.

Sorry so long, but thought I would share what convinced me to buy an E63!

Nicely put. My experience was similar, the first one i looked at was originally owned by a lawyer up north, the paint was pretty rough, and the interior just as bad. Had tacky stick on AMG badges everywhere inside. Underside didn't look too great. Passed on it, but it made me realize one thing- that was the car i was after.

I wish we were a little closer to each other and could meet up to compare a 150,000 mile example vs. a 5,000 mile example. Would be interesting to drive the two back to back in order to compare how the 150,000 miles has treated the car.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:49 PM

None currently
Nicely put. My experience was similar, the first one i looked at was originally owned by a lawyer up north, the paint was pretty rough, and the interior just as bad. Had tacky stick on AMG badges everywhere inside. Underside didn't look too great. Passed on it, but it made me realize one thing- that was the car i was after.

I wish we were a little closer to each other and could meet up to compare a 150,000 mile example vs. a 5,000 mile example. Would be interesting to drive the two back to back in order to compare how the 150,000 miles has treated the car.
I’d wager not a lot has changed. I appreciate your story, dinman. I’m sure I’ll have some issues, but I’m looking forward to owning and driving this masterpiece for a long time.

Don