MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W212 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg-146/)
-   -   E63 AMG 2014 bumpy suspension (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/716492-e63-amg-2014-bumpy-suspension.html)

e63amg2014 07-28-2018 07:59 PM

E63 AMG 2014 bumpy suspension

Hello, I just got my CPO E63 AMG 2014 model and enjoying everything about it. But on road bumps and imperfect road surfaces I found the ride to be not very comfortable and bumpy. I thought that MB cars are very comfortable and just wanted to check if anyone had similar experience. On the side note, I also had old 2008 BMW 550i model and on the same bumpy roads, I found old BMW to be much smoother ride than AMG. I switched between default Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ mode and does not seem to be much different on bumpy roads.

Thank you.

TMC M5 07-28-2018 09:17 PM

My ‘14 E63 S definitely does not handle bumps like my ‘09 CTSV or ‘13 M5 did. I find the Sport setting to be the best of the 3... it seems to be the best compromise to settle back quicker without feeling floaty... although it still isn’t all that great. It is just the nature of the beast and probably its worst fault (aside from its porky weight):

e63amg2014 07-28-2018 09:33 PM

Ok Thank you. I am glad to hear you had similar experience on AMG E63 2014 suspension. I was just worried for the possibility of malfunction in the suspension system but if these symptoms are normal then nothing much I could do about it. Are you still keeping both AMG and M5?

TMC M5 07-28-2018 10:29 PM

No M5 is gone. My commuting situation changed and wanted AWD. With the new M5 having AWD I might eventually flip back into one.

Shellbmb 07-28-2018 11:36 PM

I would classify my 2014 E63's ride as fairly harsh and I can't really tell that much difference between comfort, sport and sport plus. Thankfully my roads are pretty good so It's fine. But there is a little patch of bumpy road that i take to get home every day and it is pretty harsh. But I expected that so it doesn't bother me. Like previously stated, ride comfort is not one of this car's strong suits. And apparently the new E63 is pretty harsh as well. I would say the M5's ride is more comfy.

Grayblack 07-28-2018 11:41 PM

I came from an M5 as well, which had a more composed suspension. I’ve found sport to be the best setting of the three.

e63amg2014 07-29-2018 10:10 AM

It sounds like everyone posted here have similar harsh rides on E63 AMG's on bumpy roads, so I would just conclude that these AMG's are not engineered for comfort. Although I was not expecting to have a comfort like S-class, BMW 7 series and Lexus LS, I was expecting to be not this harsh. Anyways, I am stuck now but still love every other aspect of this car.

e63amg2014 07-29-2018 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Shellbmb (Post 7514854)
I would classify my 2014 E63's ride as fairly harsh and I can't really tell that much difference between comfort, sport and sport plus. Thankfully my roads are pretty good so It's fine. But there is a little patch of bumpy road that i take to get home every day and it is pretty harsh. But I expected that so it doesn't bother me. Like previously stated, ride comfort is not one of this car's strong suits. And apparently the new E63 is pretty harsh as well. I would say the M5's ride is more comfy.

Did you meant 2018 AMG E63's?

PeterUbers 07-29-2018 01:19 PM

I ride in S+ mode all the time and it's a bit choppy but that's why I bought the car; my 2016 m550i is very soft and almost too soft but makes for a nice luxury cruiser

i hear you though about the choppiness; switching to conti dws with 40psi helped a lot

Shellbmb 07-29-2018 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by e63amg2014 (Post 7515042)
Did you meant 2018 AMG E63's?

Correct. In every comparison or review I've seen, they comment the 2018 E63S' ride is pretty harsh as well. I currently have a 2014 like you and the ride is harsh IMO. But I expected that so it doesn't bother me.

chiromikey 07-29-2018 07:29 PM

This suspension is quite a disappointment. Our GT-R handled the choppy sharp bumps better than this car and that’s the car one can get away with expecting a harsh ride from, not an E class AMG. What’s the point of having adjustable shocks that cost over $1200 each when they can’t do what they should. While I’m comparing this to a GT-R, that DCT was smoother than our MCT as well. Go figure... :-/

sixfive 07-29-2018 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by e63amg2014 (Post 7514748)
Hello, I just got my CPO E63 AMG 2014 model and enjoying everything about it. But on road bumps and imperfect road surfaces I found the ride to be not very comfortable and bumpy. I thought that MB cars are very comfortable and just wanted to check if anyone had similar experience. On the side note, I also had old 2008 BMW 550i model and on the same bumpy roads, I found old BMW to be much smoother ride than AMG. I switched between default Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ mode and does not seem to be much different on bumpy roads.

Thank you.

mine is very depending on what kind of tire pressure I run. Worth checking if you haven't yet. May be way too high . . .

Rehabguy 07-29-2018 09:25 PM

I too am in a '14. I found that in C mode with NO lights on the "shock absorber button" the car is too bouncy over lumpy pavement. Yet, in S mode, with ONE light on in shock absorber button, it is not stiff enough to have that "planted" feel around corners at highway speeds. When I first got the car I drove it around with ~43 PSI Front and 40 PSI Rear. The car felt sort of heavy and it was even felt when turning the steering wheel. I now inflate the tires to about 50 PSI (or close to whatever it is the manual says) and the car actually feels lighter. Bumpy? Sure! Ask a friend with a lowered on stiff coilovers car to give you a ride and then get back in yours... you'll see how nice the E63 is! :rolf:

TMC M5 07-29-2018 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 7515418)
This suspension is quite a disappointment. Our GT-R handled the choppy sharp bumps better than this car and that’s the car one can get away with expecting a harsh ride from, not an E class AMG. What’s the point of having adjustable shocks that cost over $1200 each when they can’t do what they should. While I’m comparing this to a GT-R, that DCT was smoother than our MCT as well. Go figure... :-/

what year GT-R? As flawed as the E63’s suspension and MCT are, my ‘09 GT-R was that much worse. The DCT was clunky and loud, but got better with the Cobb LC4 updates... but still made the MCT look smooth in comparison. I purposely had to plan out my routes to avoid bone jarring rough roads. That never crossed my mind in th E63.

chiromikey 07-30-2018 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by TMC M5 (Post 7515495)

what year GT-R? As flawed as the E63’s suspension and MCT are, my ‘09 GT-R was that much worse. The DCT was clunky and loud, but got better with the Cobb LC4 updates... but still made the MCT look smooth in comparison. I purposely had to plan out my routes to avoid bone jarring rough roads. That never crossed my mind in th E63.

2010. Maybe I should have clarified, for the most part we have pretty good roads so it’s not the bone jarring potholes I’m talking about. It’s the small sharp road imperfections that the E63 is absolutely horrible over. No luxury car should transmit that much harshness through it’s suspension. And this is a luxury car above the power and handling attributes AMG tried to build in.

Celicasaur 07-30-2018 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 7515615)

2010. Maybe I should have clarified, for the most part we have pretty good roads so it’s not the bone jarring potholes I’m talking about. It’s the small sharp road imperfections that the E63 is absolutely horrible over. No luxury car should transmit that much harshness through it’s suspension. And this is a luxury car above the power and handling attributes AMG tried to build in.

:word:

I've always felt this about mine too.

JimmyR 07-30-2018 03:32 AM

I have a 2015 E63S. It is not anywhere near limousine ride quality but that was never the intention of the car. Personally I reckon it is a very good compromise. I came from a 2013 C63 estate with 19 inch wheels and non adjustable suspension and the ride in that was on typical roads "uncompromising" but on bad quality surfaces it could be downright brutal. Chalk and cheese compared to the E63

PeterUbers 07-30-2018 01:10 PM

You all needed to buy an S63 if you wanted more luxury in terms of ride

i contend that the E63 was and is and will never be designed to deliver a luxurious ride

its a 4500lb go cart with a nice stereo and massage seating

allenjdmb 07-30-2018 01:57 PM

You're not alone. The ride quality on the 212 63 is lousy. They are oversprung and overdamped.
It feels great on a smooth strip of blacktop, but anything else is just too stiff. Way too busy, transition impacts are an adventure.
In my mind the problem is those cheap Monroe shocks. Come on DBAG, I know they're probably AMG spec, but for a car that costs around $100k, you couldn't put Bilsteins on it? Would have improved it immensely.
Anyway, --again--you are not alone. If someone knows a more "compliant" solution, let me know. I'm only going to keep my car a few more months, but I'd still do it...

chiromikey 07-30-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 7515948)
You all needed to buy an S63 if you wanted more luxury in terms of ride

i contend that the E63 was and is and will never be designed to deliver a luxurious ride

its a 4500lb go cart with a nice stereo and massage seating

Trust me I’ve tried to put myself in an S63...all 3 times I bought an E class AMG. It’s just too big, inside and out, for my taste, needs, and wants. The W211 had such a better ride quality and it didn’t sacrifice enough handling to the W212 to justify what we ended up with. By all accounts the W213 is even worse...add that to the fact that they kept the MCT and AMG has guaranteed my next car will be an RS7 or M5/6.

allenjdmb 07-30-2018 02:44 PM

Regarding this S63 thing, its not for me either. It's cool, but its a boat.
All my M3's, even the E46, had far superior ride quality to this. So did my S5 (coupe and convertible) and RS5. Both have shorter wheelbases than the 212. Forget about m5, (E34, 39, 60 and F10, I've had them all)--they all rode far superior to this.
The point is that MB chassis engineers still seem to have a hard time realizing what roads in the USA are like.

allenjdmb 07-30-2018 02:50 PM

Just one more word and I"ll leave this alone..
What the other cars have that this one, and most other performance oriented MB's don't have-- COMPLIANCE in the entire suspension setup. This is where BMW and Audi excel, even if you install springs, etc. The problem is that I don't know of a strut/shock absorber manufacturer that makes a replacement for the OE Monroes. That's just saving a dollar on MB's part.

TMC M5 07-30-2018 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by allenjdmb (Post 7515991)
You're not alone. The ride quality on the 212 63 is lousy. They are oversprung and overdamped.
It feels great on a smooth strip of blacktop, but anything else is just too stiff. Way too busy, transition impacts are an adventure.
In my mind the problem is those cheap Monroe shocks. Come on DBAG, I know they're probably AMG spec, but for a car that costs around $100k, you couldn't put Bilsteins on it? Would have improved it immensely.
Anyway, --again--you are not alone. If someone knows a more "compliant" solution, let me know. I'm only going to keep my car a few more months, but I'd still do it...

It is funny. I felt the same way about the suspension characteristics of my old ‘05 CL65. The E63 has slightly better suspension dampening than the CL65 and its ABC hydraulic system. The only thing that set up did well was deter body roll for such a heavy car (4,600+lbs). But maybe Mercedes/AMG said ‘we can’t figure out how to get it right with an expensive/complicated system...let’s just save money and get essentially the same result’...

chiromikey 07-30-2018 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by TMC M5 (Post 7516461)

It is funny. I felt the same way about the suspension characteristics of my old ‘05 CL65. The E63 has slightly better suspension dampening than the CL65 and its ABC hydraulic system. The only thing that set up did well was deter body roll for such a heavy car (4,600+lbs). But maybe Mercedes/AMG said ‘we can’t figure out how to get it right with an expensive/complicated system...let’s just save money and get essentially the same result’...

If that was the case they would have run coil springs front and rear and been done. No, I think (just like they did by having to run their own transmission) they over engineered it to try to do everything better, to the point where it doesn’t do anything well!

Celicasaur 08-01-2018 04:51 AM

I suppose the silver lining is that the W212 does handle very nicely for such a big car, when you want to go on a spirited drive.