W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster Dyno results with custom tune from HD Tuning!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GTS
Monster Dyno results with custom tune from HD Tuning!

Hey guys,

New member here who wanted to share his experience with the group. My 2014 E63s had a box tune from OE Tuning that when put on a Dynojet produced 603 hp and 666 pound feet of torque to the wheels. Having never had a car that powerful I was very pleased with the results until I ran into my neighbor that had his pre-facelift 2013 E63 custom tuned by HD tuning with great results over and above the current OE tune that he was running. Being a little competitive has always been in my nature so I decided to contact HD Tuning located in the orange county area of Southern California to set up a custom Dyno tune of my own.

The Mainline Dyno that I was set to tune on is well know for low heartbreaking numbers however this did not bother me because we were looking to see how much horsepower and torque I could gained over what I had existing. The end result had me grinning from ear to ear!

The best numbers came out to my car producing 589 hp and 769 pound feet of torque at the wheels in the Mainline configuration but once it was put into Dynojet mode the results were insane! The result was 623 hp and a mind bending 877 pound feet of torque at the wheels on stock turbo’s! That comes out to nearly 1000 pound feet of torque being produced by the motor at the crank. The graph shows that once the car gets just above 5000 RPMs the power drops off but that is more than ok with me because I feel that it will protect my transmission at full throttle shifts with less power.

I never scoured the Internet to see what other high numbers were out there but I was beyond shocked at the results that HD tuning was able to get out of my car because I haven’t seen torque numbers that high in cars with the small stock turbo’s.

As for modifications my car has UPD aluminum intake spacers, colder racing spark plugs, Rado catless down pipe’s from world motorsports in Torrance, resonator delete, racing rotors at all four corners along with pads and a Weistec Water/Methanol injection system. The last 2 items were installed by my buddy Chris Mattox at Star Motor Werks in Costa Mesa.

The power of this car is so insane that I almost am scared to take it out of comfort mode and turn off the traction control ha ha. I don’t plan on taking the car to the quarter-mile track in Fontana until the weather cools down out here but I am eager to see my results.

In summary, I can’t say enough good things about HD Tuning and would highly recommend that if someone is in the market to tune a car anywhere near Southern California regardless of what type of vehicle it is to definitely give HD Tuning a call or look them up on Instagram or Facebook. 💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽
Results
Old 08-23-2018, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
With no baseline numbers this whole post is pointless and questionable at best considering your post count and join date.
The following 3 users liked this post by chiromikey:
CerBErusM113 (08-24-2018), jvakos (08-24-2018), loungn14 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 12:13 AM

2016 GTS
You’re joking right?

What do you mean no baseline numbers? If you understand a dyno chart you can look at the bottom and will clearly see what numbers that it produced when the ECU was flashed back to stock. The car only put out 486 horsepower and 493 pound feet of torque at the wheels so get your facts straight before trolling the new guy. My friends in my local AMG group have told me about this site for years but I finally just now got around to joining because I primarily stick to Instagram and Facebook so your assumptions that my post isn’t real just because this is my first post and because you didn’t pay full attention to the Dyno sheet is idiotic at best.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If anything is idiotic, it’s having a box tune then going in for a custom tune but not getting a baseline to compare the two. Who’s trolling who...
The following users liked this post:
CerBErusM113 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 06:17 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Topic name “monster dyno result” says everything for it...

You can show whatever you want to be on dyno, even 1000+ hp
you car won’t go faster cause of it
Old 08-24-2018, 11:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Yep -- waiting for time slips. Also curious if you get any CELs or downstream engine issues,m.

enjoy the new tune
Old 08-24-2018, 01:09 PM

2016 GTS
Try again troll

Originally Posted by chiromikey
If anything is idiotic, it’s having a box tune then going in for a custom tune but not getting a baseline to compare the two. Who’s trolling who...
with every response you prove more more that you don’t know how to read or pay attention. Your first gripe with my post was that there was no baseline numbers to compare it to even though you can clearly see what the stock numbers were once the ECU was flashed to stock but instead of acknowledging that you made a mistake and moving on, you want to find something else to gripe about which is the numbers on my box tune. The very first paragraph of my original post tells you what power the box to put out which was 603 hp and 666 pound feet of torque at the wheels. What do you want to gripe one next? Do you want to gripe about the fact that I didn’t mention that it was 91 pump gas?

how about next time you ask a legitimate question instead of pouring negativity on the new person’s positive experience first post…
Old 08-24-2018, 01:20 PM

2016 GTS
Really?

[QUOTE=dav461;7537242]
Topic name “monster dyno result” says everything for it...

You can show whatever you want to be on dyno, even 1000+ hp
you car won’t go faster cause of it
[/QUOTE
So here we go again, did I mention anywhere in my post about my car being fast? I didn’t mention one word about it being fast, I only said but I will wait until it cools down before I take it to the track and to be clear, I’m not expecting some mind blowing numbers in the quarter mile. My car has never put down great times at the local track because I can never seem to get the launch just right which is why previously my fastest time was 11.5 at 125 mph. There are other E63’s in my local Southern California AMG group that put down less power and walk away from my and I’m fine with that. There is over 1000 members in my local AMG SoCAL lounge group that have followed the highs and the lows of the modifications of my car and all of them would laugh at the negativity you guys are putting out because they all know I’ve never claimed my car to be fast, I’m just proud of the torque numbers that are produced. This is a weekend car and is not daily driven or raced often. I love the way the car feels and could care less that it’s not the fastest out there, as a matter of fact 75% of the time I keep the car in comfort mode because I just cruise around taking it easy mostly, I’m not trying to be Speed Racer...geez lol.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by BeastE63s
What do you mean no baseline numbers? If you understand a dyno chart you can look at the bottom and will clearly see what numbers that it produced when the ECU was flashed back to stock. The car only put out 486 horsepower and 493 pound feet of torque at the wheels so get your facts straight before trolling the new guy. My friends in my local AMG group have told me about this site for years but I finally just now got around to joining because I primarily stick to Instagram and Facebook so your assumptions that my post isn’t real just because this is my first post and because you didn’t pay full attention to the Dyno sheet is idiotic at best.
From my understanding from a reputable dyno tester here in northern Cali, you cannot flash back and forth between tune programs in the same testing day. When you flash back to stock it will not be at full power for a period of time due to the adaptive process coded into these ECU's. They tell me you need to come back after driving the car for a few days with the stock tune after sporty driving. So while your tuned numbers may (or may not be) accurate, your stock baseline is likely low if you flashed it back in the same session and retested.

And yes, I am aware that this sounds like they want to sell an additional session on the dyno. But I followed up with AMS (that tuned my ECU) and they confirmed this to be true.

As far as the rest of the discussion, I believe I will keep clear! lol
Old 08-24-2018, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Where's the graph with 877lb/ft
Old 08-24-2018, 01:29 PM

2016 GTS
Thanks!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Yep -- waiting for time slips. Also curious if you get any CELs or downstream engine issues,m.

enjoy the new tune
to be honest I will be happy if I am even able to achieve a time of 11 seconds flat. Since I don’t go to the track often or practice I’m always horrible at launching in the car. Based on the way this tune produces power I should be able to get off the line pretty good but they were pointing out that it’s not going to be a really fast quarter mile car because of the way the power drops off around 5000 RPMs which means that full throttle shifts will take it right back into the zone where power has already fallen off which is not optimal.

there is a car like mine in my group that doesn’t even have methanol or put out as much power yet was able to run 10.9 seconds at 128 mph in the quarter mile but I doubt I can even achieve that. It’s all good because as long as I’m happy with the car I’m not bothered by who’s faster because there will always be someone faster.

As for issues, the only thing that has ever taken place was a little time getting around the torque limitations buried in the ECU but once you find a way to unlimited the values the torque really opens up!
Old 08-24-2018, 01:33 PM

2016 GTS
That makes sense

Originally Posted by Vrodman
From my understanding from a reputable dyno tester here in northern Cali, you cannot flash back and forth between tune programs in the same testing day. When you flash back to stock it will not be at full power for a period of time due to the adaptive process coded into these ECU's. They tell me you need to come back after driving the car for a few days with the stock tune after sporty driving. So while your tuned numbers may (or may not be) accurate, your stock baseline is likely low if you flashed it back in the same session and retested.

And yes, I am aware that this sounds like they want to sell an additional session on the dyno. But I followed up with AMS (that tuned my ECU) and they confirmed this to be true.

As far as the rest of the discussion, I believe I will keep clear! lol
I was indeed shocked at how low the numbers were in stock form so your explanation makes perfect sense. There was a period months back when my car was flash to stock and after a while felt like it was getting stronger so now I know that wasn’t just my imagination. I originally thought it was because the Mainline Dyno I was at had a history of low reading numbers.

I learn something new every day, thanks for the information!
Old 08-24-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
2019 GLC 63 SUV, 2013 SLK55
As for issues, the only thing that has ever taken place was a little time getting around the torque limitations buried in the ECU but once you find a way to unlimited the values the torque really opens up!
I thought the only way around the torque limitations was to hack the TCU, which only Renntech has done so far...
Old 08-24-2018, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

with every response you prove more more that you don’t know how to read or pay attention. Your first gripe with my post was that there was no baseline numbers to compare it to even though you can clearly see what the stock numbers were once the ECU was flashed to stock but instead of acknowledging that you made a mistake and moving on, you want to find something else to gripe about which is the numbers on my box tune. The very first paragraph of my original post tells you what power the box to put out which was 603 hp and 666 pound feet of torque at the wheels. What do you want to gripe one next? Do you want to gripe about the fact that I didn’t mention that it was 91 pump gas?

how about next time you ask a legitimate question instead of pouring negativity on the new person’s positive experience first post…
Wow. Who the hell cares what your “reverted back to stock” or “converted dynojet” numbers are when you had a box tune to compare a custom tune against ON THE SAME DYNO. Any car guy as well as legit tuner would be all over that comparison! That makes this whole post seem like a fabricated commercial from a worthless shill. If this was legit and you were into your car as much as you come off, you most certainly would have compared the two tunes. So you can quit deflecting and acting like I’m the problem here.

Last edited by chiromikey; 08-24-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:14 AM

2016 GTS
Originally Posted by Stereolab42
I thought the only way around the torque limitations was to hack the TCU, which only Renntech has done so far...
All that I was told was that he finally found a way around it and as soon as he did the torque numbers shot up. There must be others that have found a way around the limitations, the cars with upgraded turbos that have high numbers that I’ve been following on Instagram.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:37 AM

2016 GTS
You’re a joke!

Originally Posted by chiromikey

Wow. Who the hell cares what your “reverted back to stock” or “converted dynojet” numbers are when you had a box tune to compare a custom tune against ON THE SAME DYNO. Any car guy as well as legit tuner would be all over that comparison! That makes this whole post seem like a fabricated commercial from a worthless shill. If this was legit and you were into your car as much as you come off, you most certainly would have compared the two tunes. So you can quit deflecting and acting like I’m the problem here.
Listen up troll, because results vary widely based on what Dyno is being used I decided to include that information. In total the session took almost 3 hours and there was countless runs and changes made. Did I ask for a sheet of every run? Hell no I didn’t, I was back and forth on the phone with my work handling business so I didn’t see every run. I didn’t ask what the numbers were if converted to Dynojet, the operator gave those to me without my asking for it. I was perfectly content with the 589 horsepower and 769 pound feet of torque at the wheels. My post never talked down on any other tuners nor did it say that mine was the best on the planet, I also never claimed that my car would be the fastest on a track or break records...I just simply shared my experience that I was happy with. I’m well aware of our cars limitations and know full well that no matter how much power is made on the Dyno that these cars even with upgraded turbos can barely run mid 10’s in the 1/4 mile. Even then there are plenty of cars like a new Audi RS5 that with only a tune and downpipes can outrun my car easily. So do me a favor and quit acting like I came along making bs claims and puffing out my chest because I did no such thing...
Old 08-25-2018, 03:45 AM

2016 GTS
Originally Posted by CarHopper
Where's the graph with 877lb/ft
I was showed the graph on the screen with the Dynojet numbers but I didn’t ask for a printout. I personally have put more faith into Mustang Dyno numbers because Dynojet readings always seem to be so high. I just thought I’d mention both since people usually ask but if they don’t I only usually mention the Mainline Dyno numbers
Old 08-25-2018, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Listen up troll, because results vary widely based on what Dyno is being used I decided to include that information. In total the session took almost 3 hours and there was countless runs and changes made. Did I ask for a sheet of every run? Hell no I didn’t, I was back and forth on the phone with my work handling business so I didn’t see every run. I didn’t ask what the numbers were if converted to Dynojet, the operator gave those to me without my asking for it. I was perfectly content with the 589 horsepower and 769 pound feet of torque at the wheels. My post never talked down on any other tuners nor did it say that mine was the best on the planet, I also never claimed that my car would be the fastest on a track or break records...I just simply shared my experience that I was happy with. I’m well aware of our cars limitations and know full well that no matter how much power is made on the Dyno that these cars even with upgraded turbos can barely run mid 10’s in the 1/4 mile. Even then there are plenty of cars like a new Audi RS5 that with only a tune and downpipes can outrun my car easily. So do me a favor and quit acting like I came along making bs claims and puffing out my chest because I did no such thing...

Yep, you’re a tool. I never talked about your car not being the “fastest on the planet” or your numbers weren’t “monster” but you keep deflecting and making up straw man excuses about some random crap and dyno numbers when all I’m asking about is the elephant in the room. Since you seem to barely understand different dyno/different day theory, here is the only question, where is the missing comparison between your box tune and custom tune ON THE SAME DYNO? Without that this whole story seems like a made up commercial from a half wit shill. If you’re not a full on shill, then I’d bet HD offered you a discount if you posted here. Very few are lucky enough to have that comparison opportunity and no legit tuner or big businessman wannabe would pass up that opportunity, even if he was pretending to be wheeling and dealing on the phone!!!

The bottom line is that both “you and your neighbor” had OE tunes then got a custom tune by HD and neither you nor HD (who’s been lurking on this thread) provided a direct dyno comparison to show the actual gains. I’d steer very clear of a tuner that failed to make that comparison TWICE. Maybe you should go back to Instagram where you can block people that call you out for your bullsh*t!...

Last edited by chiromikey; 08-25-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63

Dude you are really missing the point of all this. Let me spell it out.....you had a OE tune, you went and got a custon dyno tune from HD. Instead of comparing the tunes back to back (like I did, and countless others have done, and yes very easy to do), you compared a stock flash to the new tune. Whats to say your OE tune would not have put down the exact same numbers or even better numbers on that particular dyno?
The following 3 users liked this post by kponti:
CerBErusM113 (08-27-2018), chiromikey (08-25-2018), cocobeex (09-03-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
E63S AMG
Originally Posted by kponti
Dude you are really missing the point of all this. Let me spell it out.....you had a OE tune, you went and got a custon dyno tune from HD. Instead of comparing the tunes back to back (like I did, and countless others have done, and yes very easy to do), you compared a stock flash to the new tune. Whats to say your OE tune would not have put down the exact same numbers or even better numbers on that particular dyno?
HDtunes clearly did not want to go head-to-head with OE tuning so they made sure to flash back to stock before throwing it on the dyno for a baseline. All the while knowing that with NO TIME to adapt, the baseline numbers would be laughably low and anything they did after that from a tuning perspective would produce MONSTER DYNO RESULTS!!!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by kjkidd21:
CerBErusM113 (08-27-2018), cocobeex (09-03-2018), kponti (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kjkidd21
HDtunes clearly did not want to go head-to-head with OE tuning so they made sure to flash back to stock before throwing it on the dyno for a baseline. All the while knowing that with NO TIME to adapt, the baseline numbers would be laughably low and anything they did after that from a tuning perspective would produce MONSTER DYNO RESULTS!!!!!
That may be exactly what’s going on and they offered this guy some type of incentive to set up an account here and shill. HD has been lurking in the forum and has plenty of opportunity to show us how their custom tune compares to at least two OE box tunes.
The following users liked this post:
kponti (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
Originally Posted by kjkidd21
Which means HD was either punking the OP knowing their tune isn't much better than OE or HD doesn't know chit about the adaptive function of these ECUs or tuning for that matter.

Either way this thread sounds like a cheap commercial for HD that has apparently backfired.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY06 E55
Umm, I have some questions. Yes I don't know these computers, but I do dyno tuning almost daily.

I understand the OP graph, one is stock tune and the other one is the full custom tune. to me it appears a great result.

May I ask that other say once the car is tuned, it will take a few days for the car to make even more power ?
?? is that right ??

Does that mean once i tune my car i have to drive it for a few days before it will be fast enough to race ?
Sorry if I misread the post.

I want to tune my car, but even if i send it off to be done ( I do have HP tuners ) I want to understand it all first.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by Mr. CVE
Umm, I have some questions. Yes I don't know these computers, but I do dyno tuning almost daily.

I understand the OP graph, one is stock tune and the other one is the full custom tune. to me it appears a great result.

May I ask that other say once the car is tuned, it will take a few days for the car to make even more power ?
?? is that right ??

Does that mean once i tune my car i have to drive it for a few days before it will be fast enough to race ?
Sorry if I misread the post.

I want to tune my car, but even if i send it off to be done ( I do have HP tuners ) I want to understand it all first.
I believe you are referring to my post above along these lines. From what I have been told for the stock ECU if it is disconnected for any period of time and then reconnected, it will start to "re-learn" the driver through the adaptive process that MB employs. When it does this over a few days of sporty driving, it will amp up the power and pedal response to a degree. I honestly do not know if this applies the same to a tuned ECU. However, after getting back my AMS ECU for the 2nd time (they made some improvements for me over their original tune such as more power in the lower gears, and fixed a timing pull-back issue) it did seem like it got faster on the 3rd or 4th day. However, I cannot say it for a fact. BTW, I plan to do a follow-up thread on the 2nd tune from AMS soon. I need to get time to do my Vbox runs to have comparable data. I will say with NO DOUBT, that 2nd and 3rd gear are MONSTERS! when I stomp on the pedal while holding either gear, it feels like it's downshifting because it is so strong. Really pleased with round 2!

I don't know if I answered your question, but I tried.

Cheers
Old 08-27-2018, 12:57 PM

2016 GTS
Found my original Dyno sheet

Originally Posted by kponti

Here is the original sheet from last year around the same time. I had to dig through and find it because I don’t just keep these things laying around. As you can see the baseline for my OE tune was 546 hp and 650 pound feet of torque at almost 3000 RPMs. The HD tune was able to give me almost 60 additional horsepower at relatively the same rpm’s while increasing the torque by 37 pound feet at 600 lower RPMs. It may not seem like much but driving around town the difference in the feel of the car was huge. Not only that but my fastest run with the OE tune at the track was 11.6 seconds at 121 mph while the HD tune shown here around 11.5 seconds at 125 mph. I feel my times could be better but I have a horrible 60 foot time since it’s difficult to launch the car perfectly. Satisfied yet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Monster Dyno results with custom tune from HD Tuning!