Sponsored by:

Considering an E63S Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 04:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Porsche
Considering an E63S Wagon

I currently own a 2016 C63S with the 4.0l AMG engine. While I absolutely love the car, my needs are changing and I require a car with AWD and more room. For various reasons I am not very interested in the SUV offerings and am strongly considering an E63S Wagon. How is the long-term reliability of the 5.5L engine? Is the fuel economy really as bad as it seems? The 4.0 is a gem and if I'm careful I can average 27+mpg on road trips. While I would love to buy the new W213 car, it is out of my price range. This is a car that will see a lot of high mileage use per year and will be purchased with a CPO warranty. Ideally I would prefer to skip the +2 year option as the cost/benefit seems out of alignment.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon, 1988 BMW M3, 2004 Tacoma
The M157 appears to be fairly reliable, it's been around in the US since the 2012 MY in many of the larger AMGs. I only have about 30k on mine so its way to early for any personal observations other than mine consumes about a quart of oil every 5-6k miles and that this is considered 'normal'.

Fuel economy is pretty terrible, but I think it depends on your commute as well as your right foot, over the last 13k miles I've averaged 14.1 MPG and my best is 16 MPG. Sadly I wasn't tracking mileage on the highway miles I did from NJ to TX when I purchased the wagon. My commute is short (15 miles) and also mostly non-highway, any kind of long drive during the week where I can cruise is easily noticeable on that weeks MPG.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/mercedes-benz/e63_amg_s

-chris
Old 09-18-2018, 02:31 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
If you're interested in mine I am willing to discuss. I have sold many of my own personal vehicles across North America and have 100% feedback for over a decade and half.
Original MSRP of $128k. You can find photos of it along with a 2014 I had and other vehicles I own(ed) on my IG account. If that works and you do not have an aversion to working with me let's chat.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:12 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC63
Originally Posted by tripitz
I currently own a 2016 C63S with the 4.0l AMG engine. While I absolutely love the car, my needs are changing and I require a car with AWD and more room. For various reasons I am not very interested in the SUV offerings and am strongly considering an E63S Wagon. How is the long-term reliability of the 5.5L engine? Is the fuel economy really as bad as it seems? The 4.0 is a gem and if I'm careful I can average 27+mpg on road trips. While I would love to buy the new W213 car, it is out of my price range. This is a car that will see a lot of high mileage use per year and will be purchased with a CPO warranty. Ideally I would prefer to skip the +2 year option as the cost/benefit seems out of alignment.
in one year of ownership my engine has run like a top and I know the PO didn’t have any problems.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Love my 2016 Wagon. Engine has been fantastic thus far but it's still too early to pass judgement. I've got 26k miles and have yet to experience any issues. Gas mileage is as one would expect, but who cares?!
Old 09-24-2018, 10:56 AM

Porsche
Thank you all for the responses! I'm really on the fence as I want to do a dealer trade in on my C63S vs. selling privately (I do not like to sell high value cars privately as it never works out for me) and wagons are scarce. There is one 200 miles from my house that was a minor accident and has had the wheels repaired. Also not my favorite color for the wagon (black). Also considering a GL550 with a tune as an alternative with even more space... Been reading up on the forums and most say to save the money and skip the 63 for the GL. Prices on an off lease GL550 are quite good (mid 50s with 7 year warranty and 28k miles). E wagon just seems like I can have my cake and eat it too (good handling, performance, etc.) vs raw space and power. I feel like a fool.. my dealer had a perfect one a few months ago and when looking for a car for my wife and skipped out on it...

Last edited by tripitz; 09-24-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC63
Thank you all for the advice! I'm really on the fence as I want to do a dealer trade in on my C63S vs. selling privately (I do not like to sell high value cars privately as it never works out for me) and wagons are scarce. There is one 200 miles from my house that was a minor accident and has had the wheels repaired. Also not my favorite color for the wagon (black). Also considering a GL550 with a tune as an alternative with even more space... Been reading up on the forums and most say to save the money and skip the 63 for the GL. Prices on an off lease GL550 are quite good (mid 50s with 7 year warranty and 28k miles). E wagon just seems like I can have my cake and eat it too (good handling, performance, etc.) vs raw space and power. I feel like a fool.. my dealer had a perfect one a few months ago and when looking for a car for my wife and skipped out on it...
Completely understand. These cars are really scarce, and a lot of the ones that come up for sale have some sort of issue. It took me nine months to find mine, and even then it wasn't my first color choice but it had excellent provenance. We owned a GL450 a number of years ago and really have nothing but good things to say about it, so you can't go wrong with a 550. But, there's something just plain cool about driving a 577 hp......wagon.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:47 PM

Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
Also considering a GL550 with a tune as an alternative with even more space... Been reading up on the forums and most say to save the money and skip the 63 for the GL. Prices on an off lease GL550 are quite good (mid 50s with 7 year warranty and 28k miles). E wagon just seems like I can have my cake and eat it too (good handling, performance, etc.) vs raw space and power. I feel like a fool.. my dealer had a perfect one a few months ago and when looking for a car for my wife and skipped out on it...
I've been in a GLS for the three weeks or a month or so and I hate it. I should've went for the GL63 despite it being even more outdated than the GLS.
If you do not need third-row and it doesn't have to be an MB then I would look in a different direction because there are far better options.

E wagon just seems like I can have my cake and eat it too (good handling, performance, etc.) vs raw space and power.
That is the point of it. You get the performance and practicality in one package along with exclusivity. The vehicle is incredibly rare in the long roof variant and when it passes a group of people it cracks more necks than a Chiropractor.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:59 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by iconoclast
I've been in a GLS for the three weeks or a month or so and I hate it. I should've went for the GL63 despite it being even more outdated than the GLS.
If you do not need third-row and it doesn't have to be an MB then I would look in a different direction because there are far better options.

That is the point of it. You get the performance and practicality in one package along with exclusivity. The vehicle is incredibly rare in the long roof variant and when it passes a group of people it cracks more necks than a Chiropractor.
Why do you hate it? I drove a GL450 and it was awful. The new GLS550 I seemed to like. I have yet to drive a GL550. I also have a Cayenne diesel that I use for towing, etc... I would like more space as I adopted a large dog and I go biking (road an mtb) and am pretty busy/active with the family.

What other large SUV would you recommend? The Tahoe/Escalade/Yukons are all meh to me... The Lexus is completely outdated as is the Land Cruiser. I test drove an X5M and while it was fun, every CPO car I have looked at has a huge and long list of repairs/tweaks.. literally every 1-2k miles. Also it's smaller than my C from a practicality perspective other than the back space.

Last edited by tripitz; 09-24-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:45 PM

Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
This is the short list. Outdated for being a face lift, the tech is lagging and missing features, no HUD option, eats fuel like crazy for a non amg/63 product, seats are not comfortable, column shift is clumsy and takes a while to get used to, it's wide and long without really any of that translating to the inside, with third row up there isn't any cargo space, handling is sloppy, and in the past month the car lurched while in PARK three different times.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:41 PM

Porsche
There are only 2 E63 wagons for sale right now CPO in the country (1 older generation, 1 newer). Looking at the new one, the interior is pretty much the same as the C... it makes me wonder if it is going to have the same cheap/plastic build quality as my C that annoys me every time I drive my car. The gaps and stuff for lighting, etc. look cool, except the clips and anti-vibration work on the US made C is rubbish. I call the C a 15k car with a 60k motor in it... it's absolute rubbish compared to any of the Porsche cars I have owned or actually any BMW I currently own (I have the cheapest car you can get in the US, a bare minimum 2 and with 50k of tough commuting miles on it with potholes, etc. there is not 1 squeak or rattle in the car... as compared to my C which rattles like a can with nails rolling around in it and the MB dealerships are incompetent at fixing problems like this). Wondering if it is worth waiting a bit longer for the new gen to come down in price or just keep my eye open on a 15/16...
Old 09-24-2018, 05:36 PM

Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
I'll sell you mine. It has CPO coverage through 6/2021 and is priced very well considering the original MSRP of $128k. Every option except Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Hi, my CLS63S averages 16.8mpg longterm. Long highway trips 23mpg. I'd say quite efficient given its potential