W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alcantra Steering Wheel - back to like new (10 min cleaning)

Old 10-03-2018, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Alcantra Steering Wheel - back to like new (10 min cleaning)

there's a few posts about this that you have to dig around for so i thought i would post this to our E63/W212 board...apologies if many of you already did this.

my 2015 e63 alcantra steering wheel looked like crap since i bought the car with 12k miles. i was hesitant to clean it thinking i needed some special MB brand cleaner which is NOT the case. I researched a bunch of sites and while there are numerous cleaning products you can buy to clean your alcantra wheel, there were many sites that referenced using just mild soap and warm water to clean it using a microfiber cloth which i decided to try tonight.

this will take you max 10 mins - warm water + 3-4 drops of soap (minimal) and soak your microfiber cloth in it. Ring out all the water from the cloth as best as you can and begin wiping down your alcantra steering wheel going against the fabric grain. immediately you will start seeing dirt accumulate on your microfiber cloth as you see in my photos. i could have spent another 15-20 mins repeating this process to remove more of the dirt, but as you can see it looks incredibly better from the gross flat, greenish, matted down look it had before cleaning. i am sure others get better results with some of the cleaning products offered on the market, but i suggest taking 5 mins and doing this easy clean to start and you will be quite pleased in how it brings the alcantra back to almost new condition.

left side alcantra steering wheel before cleaning with soap and warm water with microfiber cloth and right side having been cleaned

left and right sides alcantra steering wheel cleaned with soap and warm water..

this was initially a new clean microfiber cloth that was used to clean my alcantra steering wheel and you can see all the dirt that comes up after wiping down the steering wheel!!!

this was initially a new clean microfiber cloth (back side) that was used to clean my alcantra steering wheel and you can see all the dirt that comes up after wiping down the steering wheel!!!
The following users liked this post:
Rehabguy (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
I read somewhere recently of similarly impressive results achieved using a pack
of those “baby wipes”.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,319 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Just used your technique came out great

Old 10-03-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E63S Wagon, 16 GTS Edition1 (Sold), 17 SL450 designo edition
I do basically the same thing only I also use a toothbrush to work the soap solution in and it also fluffs the fabric.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Great post and helpful.

One question to others out there though: I thought I have read in several other posts in the past on different subjects that you should never use microfiber on alcatara. What am I missing? In the other posts it was related to headliners as I recall and the issue was that the microfiber fibers get entangled into the alcatara???

Just wondering.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
E63s s213 2019 ,SOLD E63 Weistec, E55, C36
done the same with baby wipes also, went through half a pack but came out nice and fluffy