Sponsored by:

Loose Steering?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loose Steering?

Hi Everyone,
Picked up my 2015 E63 S sedan a week ago and have been putting it through its paces. I'm noticing that the steering feels very loose at the 12 o'clock position, like there's a large dead zone. While driving at speed, it almost feels like I'm driving a bus, constantly making minor corrections. It feels very imprecise. I am coming from a Golf R, but I would think that a car of this caliber should have equal or better steering than a vw. Is this normal, or a common issue? Is there a fix?
Looking forward to the replies.
thanks
Old 11-01-2018, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by BlastedBilly
Hi Everyone,
Picked up my 2015 E63 S sedan a week ago and have been putting it through its paces. I'm noticing that the steering feels very loose at the 12 o'clock position, like there's a large dead zone. While driving at speed, it almost feels like I'm driving a bus, constantly making minor corrections. It feels very imprecise. I am coming from a Golf R, but I would think that a car of this caliber should have equal or better steering than a vw. Is this normal, or a common issue? Is there a fix?
Looking forward to the replies.
thanks
I have the same year and model and this does not sound normal. But then again, your baseline might be quite different as to what feels normal coming from the vw. In case you don't know this car has electronic adaptive steering. So it may be that you are just not used to that? Does it feel the same in all modes, C, S, S+? Does it feel the same at all speeds? Freeway vs City?
Old 11-01-2018, 12:46 PM

I definitely notice it most driving straight line highway speeds
Old 11-01-2018, 01:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,036 Likes on 1,420 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Could be the tires tram lining on that highway if it's a grooved highway

also could be your alignment or tires pulling or loss of tread ... what's your tire pressure

are you lowered? On oem rims and suspension? Are you in s+ suspension mode as this is best and most lowered position while driving

this is not normal as you describe it

my mdx and 550i both feel very accurate at 12 o clock

Last edited by PeterUbers; 11-01-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers

also could be your alignment or tires pulling or loss of tread ... what's your tire pressure

are you lowered? On oem rims and suspension? Are you in s+ suspension mode as this is best and most lowered position while driving

Not a grooved highway. It's actually backroads with decently smooth pavement.
Suspension and rims are stock. It came with Firestone Firehawk tires which I've never used before. They are ~42psi.

Mostly it feels like a dead spot in the steering, where moving the wheel a slight amount will not turn the tires, but it's only in the center/12 o'clock position.

Could it be worn linkage in the suspension? Bushings? Do these cars have rack & pinion that could be worn?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2018, 01:55 PM

Received 370 Likes on 158 Posts
AMG
Sport and sport+ Suspension mode Both put the steering into a more aggressive mode (heavier)
C put the ateering in the lazy mode.

I would get a wheel alignment done, ask for both pre and post restults.. double check the tire psi’s, and go from there.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

Hey Peter,

I didn't sense the OP has alignment type issues. It sounds like he thinks the wheel is too loosey goosey at 12 o'clock while driving. If he is in C mode at freeway speeds, he might just not be used to the electronic adaptive steering. It's hard to say. But what he described did not sound like tires, road grooves, or alignment.

Op,

Next time you take it in for a service tell them about your concern and they will tell you if that is normal. Of course, with that said, they might still shine you on and just say it's normal rather than deal with it. Maybe you can make a short video showing us with your narrative what you are experiencing?

Good Luck
Old 11-01-2018, 05:26 PM

Received 370 Likes on 158 Posts
AMG
Sometimes an wheel alignment can highlight another problem or issue.. That is why i mentioned it.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:21 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
Wheel alignment with toe set properly