Sponsored by:

Latest AMG Engine Break-in Protocol from Germany

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
So a couple weeks back there was a lot of debate in this thread about breaking in a new motor. I ended up sticking with the MB recommendation which was varying loads up to 4500 RPM and not exceeding 85 MPH for the first 1000 miles. I am at 750 miles now and I confess I have started driving it a bit harder for about 100 miles now but not full launch or WOT and still not over 85 mph (OK, maybe I slipped to 90 once or twice, lol)

So the 2 rules of thought kicked back and forth on this thread were what I am doing, and drive it like you stole it from day one.

Here is a somewhat informative video by Road and Track from the Engineering Explained dude:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ak-in-new-car/

He gives compelling reasons why the MB recommendation looks more legit.

Judge for yourselves.

Cheers
Old 12-18-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 AMG GLC63
Originally Posted by Vrodman
So a couple weeks back there was a lot of debate in this thread about breaking in a new motor. I ended up sticking with the MB recommendation which was varying loads up to 4500 RPM and not exceeding 85 MPH for the first 1000 miles. I am at 750 miles now and I confess I have started driving it a bit harder for about 100 miles now but not full launch or WOT and still not over 85 mph (OK, maybe I slipped to 90 once or twice, lol)

So the 2 rules of thought kicked back and forth on this thread were what I am doing, and drive it like you stole it from day one.

Here is a somewhat informative video by Road and Track from the Engineering Explained dude:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ak-in-new-car/

He gives compelling reasons why the MB recommendation looks more legit.

Judge for yourselves.

Cheers
What are your thoughts on using launch control right after you pass that 1000 mile mark? I have seen people who say its fine to go ahead and also heard people say that you should wait until you hit that 1850 mark and get the diff oil changed. I really don't think I can wait another 850 miles! haha.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
I don't get why the manufacturer themselves can't limit this stuff electronically? If they think it's that important, then they can just prevent you from doing it. They already have the system in tact for preventing launch control electronically... why not for this?
Old 12-19-2018, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle
I don't get why the manufacturer themselves can't limit this stuff electronically? If they think it's that important, then they can just prevent you from doing it. They already have the system in tact for preventing launch control electronically... why not for this?
I wondered about the same question. My best guess is it comes down to liabilities. If someone were in some type of an emergency situation and needed more power, or to go faster than 85, and it wasn't there when they expected it to be they might sue. It's absurd of course. But lawyers advise against all scenarios that can cost the company money.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Brendon Hudson
What are your thoughts on using launch control right after you pass that 1000 mile mark? I have seen people who say its fine to go ahead and also heard people say that you should wait until you hit that 1850 mark and get the diff oil changed. I really don't think I can wait another 850 miles! haha.
I would stick with your manual's requirements. BTW, I originally launched this thread related to my new engine replacement. So all break in topics are not necessarily relevant. In your case you have your entire drivetrain to worry about. My car has 34k miles on it. But the engine only has 750 at this point. So my concern was only with breaking in the new motor.