Sponsored by:

I Love My W212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 01:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 CLS S-Model
I Love My W212

I love to fire up my W212 E63S model, crank up the tunes, and roll my troubles away... if just for a short time, it makes me feel so good, to have those nearly 600 horses under my direct control, and which will obey my every command from the throttle, suspension and gearbox. Within the bounds of physics, of course...

Last edited by Kei2thehwy; 12-09-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Forgot a line
The following 2 users liked this post by Kei2thehwy:
Jan AMG (11-30-2019), jvakos (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by Kei2thehwy
I love to fire up my W212 E63S model, crank up the tunes, and roll my troubles away... if just for a short time, it makes me feel so good, to have those nearly 600 horses under my direct control, and which will obey my every command from the throttle, suspension and gearbox. Within the bounds of physics, of course...
AMEN BROTHER!!!! Had my 2015 for 2+ years and it always brings a smile to my face when the music is loud and i give it a rip at WOT.... then you add a tune to these cars and you'll go nutso!!!!
Old 12-09-2018, 11:30 PM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
E90 M3
Nothing has a better first few seconds of start up sound, amazing what it can do for your mood in that short span of time.
The following 3 users liked this post by signes:
CerBErusM113 (12-14-2018), Jan AMG (11-30-2019), NedNederlander (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,501 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
This car has never let me down since 2014..... always a thrill
Old 12-11-2018, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 138 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Nice to see a random shout out to how wonderful these cars are. Couldn’t agree more.

Saved countless dollars on marriage counseling! Wife gets on me, I take a deep breath, walk out to garage, start her up, take her around the block!

Then come home and say “ you’re right honey, its all my fault” 😎
The following 3 users liked this post by Vrodman:
Johnny Rad (11-30-2019), jvakos (12-14-2018), Solo wing (12-12-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
LOL! Ditto
Old 12-14-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 CLS63 S AMG
Hehe I gotta say I agree its nice seeing all these comments of owners gushing over the W212 E63. Especially compared to the W213 that's been the focus of many lately. The sheer force of the M157, it's like being swept away by a tidal wave when you floor it lower in the powerband.
I have meetings with my partners on Thursday nights up north and I find myself incredibly pumped up when leaving in the late hours of the night. I'm a habitual power junkie and always want more but, when leaving last night the E63 scared the hell out of me on a long straight, it's almost as if it says "You're not ready! You forget yourself sir!"

It is always amazing to me how I fall in love with this vehicle on spirited runs; its comfort, its sound and its performance even after owning it for a year and a half. Could not agree more with this post
Old 12-14-2018, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by CerBErusM113
Hehe I gotta say I agree its nice seeing all these comments of owners gushing over the W212 E63. Especially compared to the W213 that's been the focus of many lately. The sheer force of the M157, it's like being swept away by a tidal wave when you floor it lower in the powerband.
I have meetings with my partners on Thursday nights up north and I find myself incredibly pumped up when leaving in the late hours of the night. I'm a habitual power junkie and always want more but, when leaving last night the E63 scared the hell out of me on a long straight, it's almost as if it says "You're not ready! You forget yourself sir!"

It is always amazing to me how I fall in love with this vehicle on spirited runs; its comfort, its sound and its performance even after owning it for a year and a half. Could not agree more with this post
AMEN BROTHER!!! Love the first 2 min start up roar, love doing a WOT rip in S+ from 30 to 100+ and hearing that exhaust growl on the way up and how it barks on the down shifts

Stock its amazing and the tune makes this 4500 pound luxury cruiser a monster!!! (yes, I love the look of the w212 way better than the w213 - but still both awesome MB products)
The following users liked this post:
CerBErusM113 (12-17-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,501 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
With a tune this car is straight up dangerous and demands your full respect
The following users liked this post:
CerBErusM113 (12-17-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And trust me on this, if you want to really love your driving experience in these cars, and you love a good sound system, you must install one of these babies!

Trunk needs vacuuming. lol This is a 1200W Image Dynamic 12" Sub with an Alpine 1200W Amp. It connects right into the low pass cabling under your rear deck that feeds the existing stock twin (almost useless) subs. And it sits nicely in place against the little custom rails I made under the cargo net. It comes out on quick disconnects in about 30 seconds if you need your trunk space.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 E63 AMG Wagon

LOL a big +1 to that
Old 12-15-2018, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hahaha

Crazy. You did yours a bit different. But both likely sound killer. Guys who don’t have this really don’t realize what they are missing. This simple addition to the stock sound system improves it DRAMATICALLY! For those curious, it’s not just a thumping device. This restores the grossly lacking bottom end in the OEM system. You have to experience it to fully understand.

Nice post man! Great minds and EARS, think and HEAR alike!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 E63 AMG Wagon
Thanks Vrodman.

This particluar sub has a religious following in car audio circles - mine's over 10 years old but is still the best car audio investment I ever made, other than my old-school amps. The magnet assembly is crazy, but it's magic is the ability to pound it out and stay musical.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amgggg...
Thanks Vrodman.

This particluar sub has a religious following in car audio circles - mine's over 10 years old but is still the best car audio investment I ever made, other than my old-school amps. The magnet assembly is crazy, but it's magic is the ability to pound it out and stay musical.
Yup. I know its a popular sub. And get this: I designed Velodyne Acoustics first car Sub! I used to work for the innovative founder Dave Hall directly. I also co-designed their first full range loudspeakers for their home theater lines. The df661’s. Google those babies. Lowest distortion speakers ever made!

My point in sharing this is that I know good sound when I hear it. Lol.

Cheers
Old 12-15-2018, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
E 320
Originally Posted by jvakos
AMEN BROTHER!!! Love the first 2 min start up roar, love doing a WOT rip in S+ from 30 to 100+ and hearing that exhaust growl on the way up and how it barks on the down shifts

Stock its amazing and the tune makes this 4500 pound luxury cruiser a monster!!! (yes, I love the look of the w212 way better than the w213 - but still both awesome MB products)
Agree with you on the tune! Even with a stage 1 tune and cat-delete, this car is a monster! Puts a smile on my face every time I punch it

On a side note, I am thinking of getting the UPD air intake! What's your take on it? Does it make a difference in power? On the highway top end?
Thanks in advance.

Iron Sheik
Old 12-16-2018, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Iron Sheik
Agree with you on the tune! Even with a stage 1 tune and cat-delete, this car is a monster! Puts a smile on my face every time I punch it

On a side note, I am thinking of getting the UPD air intake! What's your take on it? Does it make a difference in power? On the highway top end?
Thanks in advance.

Iron Sheik
It is fairly well documented in various threads that this mod has a nice bang for the buck. The kit roughly has been shown on this site on average to add about 25hp. I had it for a few months. But I installed (I have a DIY thread on installing it on this board btw) right around the same time I dropped in a new ECU tune. So difficult to say how that change alone would feel. With all of this said, A couple of months after this mod, I did have scoring occur in 2 adjacent cylinders found when I took the car in for a ticking sound. Resulted in a new motor! I would be lying if I denied somewhat wondering if the higher flow filters in the kit may have allowed damaging particles to enter the combustion chamber. But then again, statistically it seems unlikely that 2 adjacent holes would be affected.

Long and short is,

While I intend to drop in my tuned ECU at some point well after my 1000 mile breakin of the motor, I am not certain, in my mind only, that I will re-install this mod. Not certain the extra 25 hp above apx 700hp, is worth the risk that these filters may not be safe.

And before Shardul and other guys with the UPD start sending death threats, 😂 I am not here throwing out red flags. If you went through my experience you would understand. While I highly doubt the only two mods I ever added were to blame for that engine failure, I just dont want to risk it again for 25 hp even if it is a 1% chance of being the problem.

Also, if I were in a geography where the air quality is poor, I would not cut corners on intake filtering.

Good luck what ever you decide.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
E 320
Originally Posted by Vrodman

It is fairly well documented in various threads that this mod has a nice bang for the buck. The kit roughly has been shown on this site on average to add about 25hp. I had it for a few months. But I installed (I have a DIY thread on installing it on this board btw) right around the same time I dropped in a new ECU tune. So difficult to say how that change alone would feel. With all of this said, A couple of months after this mod, I did have scoring occur in 2 adjacent cylinders found when I took the car in for a ticking sound. Resulted in a new motor! I would be lying if I denied somewhat wondering if the higher flow filters in the kit may have allowed damaging particles to enter the combustion chamber. But then again, statistically it seems unlikely that 2 adjacent holes would be affected.

Long and short is,

While I intend to drop in my tuned ECU at some point well after my 1000 mile breakin of the motor, I am not certain, in my mind only, that I will re-install this mod. Not certain the extra 25 hp above apx 700hp, is worth the risk that these filters may not be safe.

And before Shardul and other guys with the UPD start sending death threats, 😂 I am not here throwing out red flags. If you went through my experience you would understand. While I highly doubt the only two mods I ever added were to blame for that engine failure, I just dont want to risk it again for 25 hp even if it is a 1% chance of being the problem.

Also, if I were in a geography where the air quality is poor, I would not cut corners on intake filtering.

Good luck what ever you decide.
Oh boy! Looool

Thanks a lot for the detailed review!
I am in Ontario Canada! A good hour west of Toronto where, I think, air quality is ok!

I may decide to get them and only use them at the track when I go! Best time stock was 11.6 @ 122 on crappy 91 octane. Was a humid day as well.
Hoping with stage 1 (roughly 619 whp and 690 wtq), 94 octane, upd and cooler weather maybe I'll hit a flat 11.0

That being said, I love this car and engine! A year and half later and still puts a big *** smirk on my face!

Iron Sheik
Old 12-16-2018, 03:51 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Me too, after I did cold air intake kit, suspension, underdrive crank pulley , idlers and tune! Roll the Pano roof back and listen to those turbos sing! w212 is one refined machine and even with so much bolt on power, it just drives and idles with class, until you punch it.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-17-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts
CLS 63 and M4
Originally Posted by Vrodman
And trust me on this, if you want to really love your driving experience in these cars, and you love a good sound system, you must install one of these babies!

Trunk needs vacuuming. lol This is a 1200W Image Dynamic 12" Sub with an Alpine 1200W Amp. It connects right into the low pass cabling under your rear deck that feeds the existing stock twin (almost useless) subs. And it sits nicely in place against the little custom rails I made under the cargo net. It comes out on quick disconnects in about 30 seconds if you need your trunk space.
Originally Posted by amgggg...

LOL a big +1 to that
wow!!! IDs. i remember when they first came out with the WaveGuides back in 1992-93. i think im still paying on the loan i took out for that stereo system. hahahahaha
Old 12-18-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
just based on the design of the spacer and the filters its hard to see how it can cause any damage let alone engine failure. I know you are just being cautious but thats a strong statement. I have this mod as well, and it does give noticeable power gains, i feel like the better reason for having it is overall breathing of the car. If you think the filters are the dangerous part of the mod, its hard to say. but its almost undoubtable that the spacer itself improves upon the oem design that is restrictive from the factory. these are my thoughts and I respect yours as well just wanted to share mine so he can consider it as well.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amgboy916
just based on the design of the spacer and the filters its hard to see how it can cause any damage let alone engine failure. I know you are just being cautious but thats a strong statement. I have this mod as well, and it does give noticeable power gains, i feel like the better reason for having it is overall breathing of the car. If you think the filters are the dangerous part of the mod, its hard to say. but its almost undoubtable that the spacer itself improves upon the oem design that is restrictive from the factory. these are my thoughts and I respect yours as well just wanted to share mine so he can consider it as well.
Not sure if this was in response to my post up above. If so, as I said, I think it is a very small chance that this mod contributed to the cylinder scoring. And to have it in 2 adjacent holes makes it even less likely from a probability standpoint. I never hinted that the spacers were the slightest to blame. I was only wondering if the higher flow filters that come with the kit might not be filtering enough. I may look into a different filter to use with the spacer setup. Maybe the stock filter fits. Not sure. I believe most of the gains from this UPD setup come from added airbox volume and only a bit from the higher flow filters. So perhaps the spacers with a proper fitting lower flow filter (that's safer) might yield 20Hp gain instead of the 25Hp and give peace of mind.

Just some thoughts
Old 12-18-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
I see what you're saying. hard to comment on the filters, personally I am not using theirs either I have another brand of green performance filters I forgot the brand but you're not the first person i've heard say that they werent a fan of the red ones that came with the kit. anyways you made good points, all of these should help him decide whether or not to get the spacer, he also won't be missing out on much without it
Old 11-30-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 CLS S-Model
Totalled. Just a shame...
Old 11-30-2019, 02:27 PM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
Old 11-30-2019, 03:21 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Totalled. Just a shame...
Hope everyone is ok.

Sounds like a good news, bad news thing - good news is you’re going shopping again.

W213 E63 S long roof?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Love My W212