Sponsored by:

TCU reset brings boost back

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 CLS S-Model
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

anytime it went to dealer for service that updated ecu, the ecu was reset.
so it got done at the 40000 B. Thanks
Old 12-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,449 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Kei2thehwy
I would ask if the auxiliary battery in the trunk powers the ECU for a short time. Of course I wouldn't want to disconnect both, possibly requiring the whole car to be reprogrammed, but I just wanted to ask that detail. Thanks.
the aux nothing to do with ecu you are correct; and you are wise not to unplug that
Old 12-13-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 474 Likes on 209 Posts
2007 e350 sport. 2010 350 4matic sport. Worlds first W212 E63R self built.
Originally Posted by Kei2thehwy
I would ask if the auxiliary battery in the trunk powers the ECU for a short time. Of course I wouldn't want to disconnect both, possibly requiring the whole car to be reprogrammed, but I just wanted to ask that detail. Thanks.
i actually disconnected both to be sure there was no information left. After 45 min I plugged all back up and to my surprise I still have radio and seat memory. I was confused
Old 12-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Cifdig

i actually disconnected both to be sure there was no information left. After 45 min I plugged all back up and to my surprise I still have radio and seat memory. I was confused
and how does the car feel now? Throttle... acceleration? Shifting?
Old 12-13-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 474 Likes on 209 Posts
2007 e350 sport. 2010 350 4matic sport. Worlds first W212 E63R self built.
I personally feel as if completely restored what I remember the power and tq feeling like when I first received my stage 2 tune. Haven’t went back to track but I’m confident there will be a difference. My head is planted to headrest again. So I can’t really say if it returns boost. What I feel it is , it’s timing which goes hand and hand with boost onset. After summer days of 100 degree weather, then winter back to summer I’m sure timing adjust and adapts, maybe we are just restoring it back to the beginning of the learning curve
Old 12-13-2018, 05:20 PM

Received 370 Likes on 158 Posts
AMG
Battery disconnect to reset ECU adaptions has and will always be a myth.. Regardless, they are adaptions, they will always adapt where they were originally were unless hardware was changed or something other was modified. Adaptions are usually ONLY reset via software resetting, via something like XENTRY.

I have up and running HP tuners datalogging, once i get some logs in, i will make a new thread i think will be priceless for us tuned guys and non tuned guys of course, to see our boost levels and parameters for cases like this.

Last edited by 5soko; 12-13-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by 5soko
Battery disconnect to reset adaptions has and will always be a myth.. Regardless, they are adaptions, they will always adapt where they were originally were unless hardware was changed or something other was modified. Adaptions are usually ONLY reset via software resetting.

I have up and running HP tuners datalogging, once i get some logs in, i will make a new thread i think will be priceless for us tuned guys and non tuned guys of course, to see our boost levels and parameters for cases like this.
MBmastertech,

This is in direct contradiction to what you wrote above. You said pedal dance was a myth and the battery reset works. 5soko here is claiming battery disconnect is also a myth.

What should we believe here?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:16 PM

AMG
MB does specify to not reset any ECU adaptions like Short term fuel trims or long term fuel trims, etc unless a repair is being made aswell.
Anyone who has reset hard ECU adaptions, knows how poorly the cars run until the ecu and sensors have adapted to its normal running range.

Last edited by 5soko; 12-13-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
All
Originally Posted by Vrodman
MBmastertech,

This is in direct contradiction to what you wrote above. You said pedal dance was a myth and the battery reset works. 5soko here is claiming battery disconnect is also a myth.

What should we believe here?
Lol, yeah he's wrong. I could sit here and type for an hour and a half explaining why but I honestly don't care. I'm a shop foreman at a Benz dealer and was the lead diagnostic tech at my previous dealer. I don't know everything but I've literally done these "resets" countless times and verified everything I've said. But hey, what do I know......
The following 2 users liked this post by mbmastertech:
altesporsche (11-15-2022), thxrick (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 07:49 PM

All
[QUOTE=5soko;7629015]MB does specify to not reset any ECU adaptions

Lol.....wrong.

​​​​
Anyone who has reset hard ECU adaptions, knows how poorly the cars run until the ecu and sensors have adapted to its normal running range.

You can't be serious!
The following users liked this post:
jvakos (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:01 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by mbmastertech
Lol, yeah he's wrong. I could sit here and type for an hour and a half explaining why but I honestly don't care. I'm a shop foreman at a Benz dealer and was the lead diagnostic tech at my previous dealer. I don't know everything but I've literally done these "resets" countless times and verified everything I've said. But hey, what do I know......
I would love to talk more and to know more... What exact adaptation does a battery disconnect reset? ECU adaptations like STFT, LTFT,MAF, MAP, etc are part of data in the ecu and does not get reset from a power disruption.
Once i have time i can check this out for everyone here using my Mp2 interface to be completely clear.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/77354857@N04/, on Flickr

The only time Mercedes mentions doing any type of adaptation is when install a new ecu, this is via WIS.
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/77354857@N04/, on Flickr

Last edited by 5soko; 12-13-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:01 PM

All
I would love to talk more and to know more... What exact adaptation does a battery disconnect reset? ECU adaptations like STFT, LTFT,MAF, MAP, etc are part of data in the ecu and does not get reset from a power disruption.
Once i have time i can check this out for everyone here using my Mp2 interface to be completely clear.

image1 (1) by 5soko, on Flickr

The only time Mercedes mentions doing any type of adaptation is when install a new ecu, this is via WIS.

image1 (2) by 5soko, on Flickr
Dude, there is way way too much information for me to explain everything to you. Disconnecting the battery DOES reset numerous values including: mixture adaptations for short term, long term, idle speed mixture adaptations, lower and upper partial load mixtures which combined change full load mixture adaptations. It also resets crankshaft sensor adaptations, lambda adaptations, throttle valve adaptations. That's all in the engine ecu, in the trans it resets the fill time and pressure adaptations, lockup clutch adaptations and wet clutch adaptations. The screenshot is the menu path that needs to be selected to go through a proper initial startup of the engine control unit lol! When using xentry you need to click on "engine control unit," then click on "control unit adaptations" to get to the learning process after you have replaced the ecu. You can believe what you want but don't confuse people with incorrect statements. Control unit resets are very very common with Mercedes, and that 100% includes battery disconnects! Anyone who works on these cars or any luxury car brand for a living knows that.

Anyways it was nice talking with you guys. Mercedes has the best cars in the world. You all should be very proud of your hard work that's led you to be able to own one. Some people are stuck driving regular boring Fords, Chevy's and Honda's. Have a great holiday everyone!

Last edited by mbmastertech; 12-13-2018 at 09:06 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by mbmastertech:
AMG140.6 (06-15-2020), Amg63- (01-15-2020), amgboy916 (12-14-2018), jvakos (12-14-2018), Yakatak (12-16-2020)
Old 12-13-2018, 09:19 PM

AMG
Dude, there is way way too much information for me to explain everything to you. Disconnecting the battery DOES reset numerous values including: mixture adaptations for short term, long term, idle speed mixture adaptations, lower and upper partial load mixtures which combined change full load mixture adaptations. It also resets crankshaft sensor adaptations, lambda adaptations, throttle valve adaptations. That's all in the engine ecu, in the trans it resets the fill time and pressure adaptations, lockup clutch adaptations and wet clutch adaptations. The screenshot is the menu path that needs to be selected to go through a proper initial startup of the engine control unit lol! When using xentry you need to click on "engine control unit," then click on "control unit adaptations" to get to the learning process after you have replaced the ecu. You can believe what you want but don't confuse people with incorrect statements. Control unit resets are very very common with Mercedes, and that 100% includes battery disconnects! Anyone who works on these cars or any luxury car brand for a living knows that.

Anyways it was nice talking with you guys. Mercedes has the best cars in the world. You all should be very proud of your hard work that's led you to be able to own one. Some people are stuck driving regular boring Fords, Chevy's and Honda's. Have a great holiday everyone!
Thanks for the reply! Love the chit chat.. The screen shot was showing what and where benz asks to perform any adaptations.
Im sorry, but all of the adaptation you mentioned are all only reset via xentry, not a battery pull.. My LTFT is a 0.6.. so if i pull the battery this should resort to 0.0 correct? I believe this is a very easy and simple way to prove this theory? I can do this all in one video live.
If you have tried resetting most of these adaptations via Xentry on the M157, you will see there is a difference in car behavior vs a battery pull as the sensors are adapting from i.e. Zero.

Back to the OP's question:

Boost... Wastegate Controlled by vacuum solenoid via ECU. ECU bases boost off of load ( and another map) via the RPM, IAT, throttle, MAP pre and post throttle valve, both intakes sensors, knock etc. Removing any boost leak from the equation, if your code scanning isnt bringing up any codes, i would get a boost gauge or logger to confirm boost is not hitting its target or send the ecu back to the tuner. Unless any of the above is out of order, IAT's way too high, igntion being pulled, MAF's not reading correctly, or clogged filters, etc, boost should be consistent for the most part. Battery pull, shouldn't effect this, and for those who believe it might, adaptions reset will only return back to their adapted state after some running time. (no changes to hardware otherwise)

Last edited by 5soko; 12-13-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:45 PM

All
Best of luck to you man. Have a great night.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:15 AM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
2019 GLC 63 SUV, 2013 SLK55
Disconnected my battery for 30 minutes then drove for two days. COMPLETE difference in how my trans shifts. Anyone who claims this doesn't do anything is talking out their behind, with all due respect. The hard/jumpy shifts I always got in S mode and frequently got in S+ mode from low speeds are now gone. For now at least... perhaps the trans/ECU will regain its "bad habits" over time since I have a lead foot. But we'll see.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:10 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by Stereolab42
Disconnected my battery for 30 minutes then drove for two days. COMPLETE difference in how my trans shifts. Anyone who claims this doesn't do anything is talking out their behind, with all due respect. The hard/jumpy shifts I always got in S mode and frequently got in S+ mode from low speeds are now gone. For now at least... perhaps the trans/ECU will regain its "bad habits" over time since I have a lead foot. But we'll see.
sounds like while the battery was removed, the trans did a full set of relearning and readaption, same type that is done at the dealer via xentry. Very nice!
Btw, i forgot to mention this, i write program for mercedes amg
Old 12-14-2018, 07:55 AM

All

Btw, i forgot to mention this, i write program for mercedes amg
haha! Just because you have software to modify the oem tune on your own car doesn't mean you know what you are doing. Lots of people can "wite" programs to ECU's lol! Please stop trying to make people think you are special. Typical Mr know it all. Fact is you have been wrong a lot on this forum. I feel bad for anyone that believes what you say. Unfortunately people like you are what ruins these forums.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 AM

AMG
haha! Just because you have software to modify the oem tune on your own car doesn't mean you know what you are doing. Lots of people can "wite" programs to ECU's lol! Please stop trying to make people think you are special. Typical Mr know it all. Fact is you have been wrong a lot on this forum. I feel bad for anyone that believes what you say. Unfortunately people like you are what ruins these forums.
Its a forum, a place for debate, your so hostile and angry because you want to be right.. Your username just shows how bad you want to be right.. your a dealer tech (maybe), you do what WIS tells u. Thats as far as your knowledge goes lol
stop lying to people about what you know and backing it up with you work at dealer, like that end the conversation lol that gives you no cred... show us proof, show us documentation?? This you wont provide because you cant.

I was trying to be nice and have a good conversation, im not sure why you got so bent out of shape because i challeneged what you said, really no room for attitudes like yours on this forum. You are going to have guys disconnecting their batteries for no reason and end up damaging components. If you were a true good tech, you wouldnt advise your customers to do this since you know the car will go back to its oringinal state before the battery was disconnecting anyways, and you should know resettinf adaptations is a bandaid, not a solution to any hardware problem.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 AM

All

Its a forum, a place for debate, your so hostile and angry because you want to be right.. Your username just shows how bad you want to be right.. your a dealer tech (maybe), you do what WIS tells u. Thats as far as your knowledge goes lol
stop lying to people about what you know and backing it up with you work at dealer, like that end the conversation lol that gives you no cred... show us proof, show us documentation?? This you wont provide because you cant.

I was trying to be nice and have a good conversation, im not sure why you got so bent out of shape because i challeneged what you said, really no room for attitudes like yours on this forum. You are going to have guys disconnecting their batteries for no reason and end up damaging components. If you were a true good tech, you wouldnt advise your customers to do this since you know the car will go back to its oringinal state before the battery was disconnecting anyways, and you should know resettinf adaptations is a bandaid, not a solution to any hardware problem.

Lol! You are too funny. I don't even know where to begin with all the nonsense you are writing. This topic is going nowhere so let's just agree to disagree. I have no need to prove who I am in the world of Mercedes. Especially to some random nobody on a forum like yourself. Maybe focus on "writing" the program for your amg lol. If you can't even grasp the reasons behind battery disconnects then I hope to god you don't sell your corrupt tunes to others. I'm sure you will be on here needing an engine someday. "Btw I forgot to mention I write programs to amg" LMAO! Funniest post I've ever seen here!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:10 AM

AMG
Lol! You are too funny. I don't even know where to begin with all the nonsense you are writing. This topic is going nowhere so let's just agree to disagree. I have no need to prove who I am in the world of Mercedes. Especially to some random nobody on a forum like yourself. Maybe focus on "writing" the program for your amg lol. If you can't even grasp the reasons behind battery disconnects then I hope to god you don't sell your corrupt tunes to others. I'm sure you will be on here needing an engine someday. "Btw I forgot to mention I write programs to amg" LMAO! Funniest post I've ever seen here!
haha excellent. Sounds good.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Battery disconnects do reset most adaptations including short term and long term fuel trims. Do not underestimate how fast it takes to get those trims adapted back again after a restart, however it may not go back to the original values right after a restart.

yes I have seen those values change after a reset
Old 12-15-2018, 04:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Is an ecu pull the same as at a negative terminal pull?

in terms of the performance gains that is....

Last edited by PeterUbers; 12-15-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Is an ecu pull the same as at a negative terminal pull?

in terms of the performance gains that is....
It absolutely should be! Simple electronics. Pulling the ECU disconnects power. Disconnecting negative terminal opens the circuit and is disconnecting power.

Now I am only speaking to matters that pertain to the ECU. Pulling the ECU does not disconnect TCU in any manner. Of course I am assuming that the TCU and ECU are separate components. I am not actually certain of that. Again though, assuming they are, then pulling ECU will not affect trans performance.

I have personally pulled ECU, without disconnecting anything and then reconnected it and witnessed adaptation resets.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by Vrodman

It absolutely should be! Simple electronics. Pulling the ECU disconnects power. Disconnecting negative terminal opens the circuit and is disconnecting power.

Now I am only speaking to matters that pertain to the ECU. Pulling the ECU does not disconnect TCU in any manner. Of course I am assuming that the TCU and ECU are separate components. I am not actually certain of that. Again though, assuming they are, then pulling ECU will not affect trans performance.

I have personally pulled ECU, without disconnecting anything and then reconnected it and witnessed adaptation resets.
You are right in your assumptions. ECU is reset with ECU pull. Both ECU and TCU resets are accomplished with negative terminal disconnects.
Have you ever seen a tuner pull battery after taking your ECU in and out of the car? Even after loading a whole new tune.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kponti
You are right in your assumptions. ECU is reset with ECU pull. Both ECU and TCU resets are accomplished with negative terminal disconnects.
Have you ever seen a tuner pull battery after taking your ECU in and out of the car? Even after loading a whole new tune.
Nope.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TCU reset brings boost back