Sponsored by:

W212 - Shakes and Lurches when cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
W212 - Shakes and Lurches when cold

I have been researching this issue and it sounds like there may be some issues with the transmission controller but after reading some of those posts I don't believe that is my issue.

The first thing to happen: even when it was warm outside, at a stop sign/light the car would lurch, as if the transmission was sending power to the wheels. Then it would stop sending power and the car would rock back to the natural resting point. The whole cycle would last about 6 seconds and repeat indefinitely until I released some brake pressure or added a lot of brake pressure.

After a few months of the above happening, it started to get cold outside and I noticed the entire front of the car would shake at a stop sign, and it would not want to move forward. Once it did start moving forward, it would jerk the whole car multiple times before smoothing out.

It seems like it got a lot worse right when it started getting cold outside (car is in Fort Worth). It also goes away after the car is hot (over 175 deg!). *this is my first winter with the car and the previous owner lied to me about everything he said when describing the car, so I don't know what's "normal" or new.

I'm sorry if this has been talked about before but I couldn't find anything for M156, C63, E63 and the above symptoms.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,449 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
This is likely an mct clutch problem or a leak in the intake manifold

they will first reset adaptations which you can do yourself

google "reset benz adaptations" or pull the negative battery cable for at least 20 minutes

if still a problem take it in and they may have to re adapt just the mct clutch or fix it
Old 12-20-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
This is likely an mct clutch problem or a leak in the intake manifold

they will first reset adaptations which you can do yourself

google "reset benz adaptations" or pull the negative battery cable for at least 20 minutes

if still a problem take it in and they may have to re adapt just the mct clutch or fix it
I reset it and it helped about 50% but when I got back into the garage there was smoke coming from the engine compartment. I opened the hood and I believe there is oil from the intake getting on the exhaust.

I have been getting lean codes from both engine banks. So I guess I'm taking the intake manifold off now.

Thank you PeterUbers, I would love to know how the air intake leak is causing this lol
Old 12-20-2018, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by WV E63 AMG

Thank you PeterUbers, I would love to know how the air intake leak is causing this lol
Unmetered air
Edit: Has to be in the manifold itself or doesn't matter on speed density set up like the M157

Last edited by kponti; 12-21-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,449 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Leak in intake manifold ... get it fixed from dealer