MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W212 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg-146/)
-   -   Race start (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/733374-race-start.html)

E63sMonster 01-19-2019 07:01 AM

Race start

anyone know how to use it properly. Whenever I try to race start it goes in race start mode rpm locks at 4K but only for like 2/3 seconds then cuts off. Is this normal or m I missing something

danclements 01-19-2019 07:42 AM

That's normal. Drop the brake and you'll launch.

E63sMonster 01-19-2019 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by danclements (Post 7658211)
That's normal. Drop the brake and you'll launch.

but m only getting 2/3 seconds. Like if I am at a red light I wana get ready to race n wana use race start it won’t work cause I can’t tell when light will go green.

timm206 01-19-2019 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by E63sMonster (Post 7658451)

but m only getting 2/3 seconds. Like if I am at a red light I wana get ready to race n wana use race start it won’t work cause I can’t tell when light will go green.

Mine holds the rpms for about 3-4secs, its a 2016 S with a recent transmission software update. Im guessing its a safety feature so you cant abuse the clutch pack.

E63sMonster 01-19-2019 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Timur4593 (Post 7658481)

Mine holds the rpms for about 3-4secs, its a 2016 S with a recent transmission software update. Im guessing its a safety feature so you cant abuse the clutch pack.

got u thought something was wrong with mine. Must b a safety feature. Thanks

PeterUbers 01-19-2019 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by E63sMonster (Post 7658451)

yeah it's not great for the street ... you can try low rpms until you're ready to go and then floor the accelerator ... you may get more time before your timeout

brutus_tx 01-19-2019 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by E63sMonster
anyone know how to use it properly. Whenever I try to race start it goes in race start mode rpm locks at 4K but only for like 2/3 seconds then cuts off. Is this normal or m I missing something

Use the correct sequence to enter RS mode... start by holding your foot on the brake and following your normal RS start sequence, but don't touch the gas! The car will stay in this mode happily.

Once you're ready to launch, only then should you mash the gas. You will have approximately three seconds to release the brake. Any more and it will time out and cancel RS.

Try it next time at the lights.

brutus_tx 01-19-2019 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Timur4593

Timur, can you speak to this transmission software update? Was it a factory update or aftermarket? Was this strictly for 2016 or do you know if it may be available for 2014 E63S?

Exotic-metal55 01-19-2019 07:17 PM

Practice, practice and practice some more. :)

timm206 01-19-2019 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by brutus_tx (Post 7658648)
Timur, can you speak to this transmission software update? Was it a factory update or aftermarket? Was this strictly for 2016 or do you know if it may be available for 2014 E63S?

Yes a factory update from MB dealer. That exact update is compatible with w212 E63 2014-2016 for sure, not sure with pre-facelift. The car shifts better overall, more responsive but i must note that the adaptations were fully reset as well via Xentry at the same time so that plays a role too. Build date of the car is 10/15. One more thing i noticed after the update was the delay being shorter when shifting from R to D and vice versa, prior to the update there was a much more noticeable delay and i doubt the adaptations reset have anything to do with that.

jvakos 01-20-2019 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Timur4593 (Post 7658871)

Yes a factory update from MB dealer. That exact update is compatible with w212 E63 2014-2016 for sure, not sure with pre-facelift. The car shifts better overall, more responsive but i must note that the adaptations were fully reset as well via Xentry at the same time so that plays a role too. Build date of the car is 10/15. One more thing i noticed after the update was the delay being shorter when shifting from R to D and vice versa, prior to the update there was a much more noticeable delay and i doubt the adaptations reset have anything to do with that.

Timur - did you ask your dealer to reset your trans adaptations and in doing that, the dealer also applied the software update? did they do that under warranty?

I've asked my dealer about this a few times (Mercedes of Chicago) and they keep telling me everything is normal with my transmission and there is no software updates to apply my car is a 2015 E63S. I've heard several here got this trans sofware update and were pleased with the improvements.... maybe time to try this with another dealer.

TRIAgain 01-20-2019 11:45 AM

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ion-start.html

a thread on the transmission update and the campaign number

Lumi 01-20-2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by TRIAgain (Post 7659133)
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ion-start.html

a thread on the transmission update and the campaign number

I believe this might for cartain 2016's only?

timm206 01-20-2019 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by jvakos (Post 7659113)
Timur - did you ask your dealer to reset your trans adaptations and in doing that, the dealer also applied the software update? did they do that under warranty?

I've asked my dealer about this a few times (Mercedes of Chicago) and they keep telling me everything is normal with my transmission and there is no software updates to apply my car is a 2015 E63S. I've heard several here got this trans sofware update and were pleased with the improvements.... maybe time to try this with another dealer.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...dy-issues.html

I was having some shifting issues, that was the reason for my visit to the dealer but before handing over the car i asked them if they could also check for ECU/TCU and Command System updates. The dealer said no problem and about after an hour it was all ready, quote “There was a TCU update available for this platform.”

Yes it was all under the factory warranty.

Vrodman 01-21-2019 11:36 AM

FWIW, I believe you will get the same result from your launch with simply turning off traction control all the way and doing a break boost up to the 3,000 rpm or so that it will let you while in S+. This was how I got my fastest 0-60 (3.1). It might take a little practice but it's not that hard and it's way less of a pain in the *ss than RS!

E63sMonster 01-21-2019 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by brutus_tx (Post 7658644)
Use the correct sequence to enter RS mode... start by holding your foot on the brake and following your normal RS start sequence, but don't touch the gas! The car will stay in this mode happily.

Once you're ready to launch, only then should you mash the gas. You will have approximately three seconds to release the brake. Any more and it will time out and cancel RS.

Try it next time at the lights.

haha thanks can’t wait to try it

E63sMonster 01-21-2019 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vrodman (Post 7659842)
FWIW, I believe you will get the same result from your launch with simply turning off traction control all the way and doing a break boost up to the 3,000 rpm or so that it will let you while in S+. This was how I got my fastest 0-60 (3.1). It might take a little practice but it's not that hard and it's way less of a pain in the *ss than RS!

holy moly stock 3.1 man I guess I got long ways to go. I’ll keep practicing.

Savage212 01-21-2019 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by E63sMonster (Post 7660053)

holy moly stock 3.1 man I guess I got long ways to go. I’ll keep practicing.

Pretty sure he's tuned. I also got a 3.1~ with the same method. (tuned)

Vrodman 01-21-2019 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Savage212 (Post 7660168)

He may or may not be tuned! :smokin: He probably would know for sure if he wasn't still under extended warranty.

chiromikey 01-21-2019 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Savage212 (Post 7660168)

The device making the measurement also makes a difference...

Savage212 01-22-2019 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 7660399)

The device making the measurement also makes a difference...

I'd agree, all timing devices present a margin of error. It would appear low 3's is normal for tuned E63's regardless of the device. I do think many would agree that GPS based units are among the more accurate with some being better than others. Additionally, the same device with the same car, location and similar environmental conditions should be accepted as a good measure for change in performance regardless of the reported times.

PeterUbers 01-22-2019 09:41 AM

When I first got my 63 I had the Liberty mutual safe driver module that measures various patterns of your driving via the obd2 and uses that as a means of offering you a discount on premiums ...

i pulled up that app online at Liberty and after a series of 0-60's and the best I got was 4.0 seconds 0-63mph or something like that (stock format with 1200 miles on the odo)

needless to say I didn't get much of a discount.

Vrodman 01-22-2019 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Savage212 (Post 7660645)
I'd agree, all timing devices present a margin of error. It would appear low 3's is normal for tuned E63's regardless of the device. I do think many would agree that GPS based units are among the more accurate with some being better than others. Additionally, the same device with the same car, location and similar environmental conditions should be accepted as a good measure for change in performance regardless of the reported times.

This is spot on with my thinking. I don't so much care about the absolute numbers as I do the relative change. best time I could ever get 0-60 with the Vbox was 3.5 for the car entirely stock. Now if , say, I had an AMS tune, I might have seen 3.1 using the same metrology (the Vbox). So because both runs were performed at the same location and general conditions, I can safely conclude that the tune (if I had one) was a 0.4 second improvement. Not subtle! lol

jvakos 01-22-2019 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vrodman (Post 7660787)
This is spot on with my thinking. I don't so much care about the absolute numbers as I do the relative change. best time I could ever get 0-60 with the Vbox was 3.5 for the car entirely stock. Now if , say, I had an AMS tune, I might have seen 3.1 using the same metrology (the Vbox). So because both runs were performed at the same location and general conditions, I can safely conclude that the tune (if I had one) was a 0.4 second improvement. Not subtle! lol

i have that phone app called DashCommand and my best 0-60 time time i ever hit was 3.5 seconds on a stock e63s. that was on a perfectly clean high way road in mid summer. i have never seen better than 3.7 seconds on chicago downtown streets and i assume thats because of all the crap on the streets that dont allow the ****ty pirelli pZEROs to hook. seems 3.1 or 3.2 on a tuned AMS is very realistic :)