Bleeding brakes (CCB), is it DIY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon - CCB & CF package
Bleeding brakes (CCB), is it DIY?

Hey guys,

Is bleeding the brakes a DIY job, can it be done without Xentry? I'm not sure if it matters, but they are carbon ceramic.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:44 PM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by V-AMG
Hey guys,

Is bleeding the brakes a DIY job, can it be done without Xentry? I'm not sure if it matters, but they are carbon ceramic.
You can bleed without Xentry. However most systems will run the abs to push trapped air from the distribution block, you need Xentry to do that. You may or may not need to do that depending on the work done.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:25 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon - CCB & CF package
Originally Posted by Savage212
You can bleed without Xentry. However most systems will run the abs to push trapped air from the distribution block, you need Xentry to do that. You may or may not need to do that depending on the work done.
Dealer replaced a dragging front caliper and the brake feels a little soft now. Write-up says they bled it, but I don't think properly. I was hoping to do it myself and spend the time to do it properly.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:20 AM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
Originally Posted by V-AMG
Dealer replaced a dragging front caliper and the brake feels a little soft now. Write-up says they bled it, but I don't think properly. I was hoping to do it myself and spend the time to do it properly.
I had this happen to me when I had my SBC replaced. The dealer swore up and down they did it properly. I brought it back, a supposedly they found nothing wrong with it. However, the brakes seem to "magically and miraculously" feel normal after the "inspection".

Take it back and have them rebleed. To do it properly you will need either xentry or a dealership level diagnostic tool (snapon or matco) with at least the 18.1 or newer update with European models. My Solus is able to work on my w212 and control most (not all) ecu functions including the brake bleeding procedure.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:37 AM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Of course bleeding brakes are a DIY!
Unless they for some reason had so much brake fluid leave the lines they actually had it exit the ABS unit, and have air enter it. (which is the reason for running Xentyr or similar device. And frankly, most ABS units are actually kind of hard to drain..