New 2014 E63S Owner – Scan Tool advise for brake fluid replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E63-S
New 2014 E63S Owner – Scan Tool advise for brake fluid replacement

Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to the MBWorld, but very much appreciate all of the information and advise I have gleamed from the knowledgeable members since joining.

With your help and guidance my wife and I are now all in on Mercedes ownership. After several years of researching the Big Three EU powerhouse sedans, we decided that the W212, AMG E63 was the right move. After a fairly extensive search, we found a gently used, one owner Mec certified, S-Model located in the NW. We have had the car for a little over a year now and could not be happier with our choice. The car outperforms every expectation I have ever had in a vehicle, and simply out performs every vehicle this side of a spec purposed track car, with little compromise to all of the creature comforts that Mercedes is known for.

Now with close to 60K on the odometer, we have added nearly 20K amazing miles in the last year, the time has come to start preparing for the upcoming service inspection. Truthfully, most of the service items have been completed less the brake fluid change and oil/filter change. The oil change is a no problem as I have performed this task several times on the vehicle since purchase. However, the break fluid task is a little different as I am new to this break system, and there does not appear to be a lot of information out there on the procedures. I have an electronic copy of the maintenance manual for the car, but still not a lot of detail.

The problem I am having is with the tooling required to perform the task. I have the Motive power bleeder, catch container, and the correct spec fluid. But after purchasing/returning several different scanners all of which were advertised to work with our vehicle VIN, and speaking with multiple scan tool mfgs, I have yet to find one that is compatible with our car and communicates with the SPC/EPB system.

Is there any direction or advise from the 2014 and newer owners that have performed this task on what scanner is needed to perform the brake fluid change/bleed procedure?

Thank you, and greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,045 Likes on 968 Posts
1999 E300TD
I believe that you are over thinking a very simple process. All the information is included in MB WIS which you can subscribe.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by Plutoe
I believe that you are over thinking a very simple process. All the information is included in MB WIS which you can subscribe.
MB WIS states to use the high pressure system to bleed the brakes (via the MB proprietary tool)... His question is actually spot on. You need to activate the ABS / SBS / pressurized brake system via SDS / Star. You can bleed the brakes the standard way (without star), but I have found it to feel spongy afterwards. (Yes I have bled brakes a million times on a variety of cars, so it was not user error.) The MB braking system requires the high pressure system to be activated to thoroughly push the fluid out. I don't have a new version of Star, but have been looking....

Bump for help.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 341 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
Originally Posted by Stingray66
Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to the MBWorld, but very much appreciate all of the information and advise I have gleamed from the knowledgeable members since joining.

With your help and guidance my wife and I are now all in on Mercedes ownership. After several years of researching the Big Three EU powerhouse sedans, we decided that the W212, AMG E63 was the right move. After a fairly extensive search, we found a gently used, one owner Mec certified, S-Model located in the NW. We have had the car for a little over a year now and could not be happier with our choice. The car outperforms every expectation I have ever had in a vehicle, and simply out performs every vehicle this side of a spec purposed track car, with little compromise to all of the creature comforts that Mercedes is known for.

Now with close to 60K on the odometer, we have added nearly 20K amazing miles in the last year, the time has come to start preparing for the upcoming service inspection. Truthfully, most of the service items have been completed less the brake fluid change and oil/filter change. The oil change is a no problem as I have performed this task several times on the vehicle since purchase. However, the break fluid task is a little different as I am new to this break system, and there does not appear to be a lot of information out there on the procedures. I have an electronic copy of the maintenance manual for the car, but still not a lot of detail.

The problem I am having is with the tooling required to perform the task. I have the Motive power bleeder, catch container, and the correct spec fluid. But after purchasing/returning several different scanners all of which were advertised to work with our vehicle VIN, and speaking with multiple scan tool mfgs, I have yet to find one that is compatible with our car and communicates with the SPC/EPB system.

Is there any direction or advise from the 2014 and newer owners that have performed this task on what scanner is needed to perform the brake fluid change/bleed procedure?

Thank you, and greatly appreciate any help you can offer.
Here's the MB procedure for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Replace brake fluid.pdf (706.8 KB, 239 views)
Old 09-05-2019, 04:27 PM

2014 E63-S
Hello Guys,

Thank you for your quick response and direction. Now that I appear to be going down the right path, meaning a tool is needed to engage/activate the SPC/EPB system, can you recoment a scanner that will perform this task. I have spent many days/months trying to find a tool to assist with this task but have yet to find anything aside from the Star unit. Again, thatks for your help.

Don
Old 09-11-2019, 03:44 PM

2014 E63-S
Hi Everyone,

I am still looking for advise/suggestions on which scanner tool to purchase to support break system servicing on our 2014 E63. Is there anyone out there in this community that has perform this task with a scanner other than the mfg recommended Star system, or is this the only option at this time? What about performing the brake fluid change without a scan tool. Is it possible to effectively perform the task without engaging the SPC/EPB system? I have tested the fluid at ~1% moisture so I have some time to figure this out but would rather make the right choice now rather than be forced into the Star option or just taking the car to the dealer for this one task.

Thanks so much for your help,

Don
Old 09-27-2019, 03:43 PM

2014 E63-S
Hi Everyone,

I have yet to find a compatible scanner that will interface with the brake system and allow me to complete the brake fluid replacement task. I have purchased two different Foxwell units, NT624 and NT680, at retailer and manufacturer's recommendations but unfortunately neither worked and therefor were returned. I have also contacted ICarsoft, Autel, and Launch Tech, all of which state their scanners are not compatible with our VIN for the intended function. I am now past the 60K service period for the brake fluid replacement task, and despite the fact the moisture content is still well within industry standards, I am concerned this task is may simply be a dealer only job. Are there any DIY'ers out there that have accomplished this task without tapping into the SPC/EPB system, or have found a way to energize the system without the high-end scanner option? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Don