W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU tune alone, exhaust is louder? HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 05:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E63 AMG S
ECU tune alone, exhaust is louder? HELP!

Hi everyone, I hope you guys can chime in here with your expertise!

I bought my car CPO (used) and only now I found out that it was previously tuned! The dealer did a software update and I thought there was a problem since I noticed significantly less power and less noise. I mean 30-50% more quiet! I no longer get the rumble either.

My car has NO hardware changes, the only difference was the change was the ECU tune was removed. Is it possible that a ECU tune alone will cause the car to be louder? Those with experience, please chime in. I miss how the car felt before as I became really used to it.

I have a 2014 E63S AMG
Old 10-07-2019, 01:01 AM

E63 AMG S
anyone can chime in? :\
Old 10-07-2019, 04:55 AM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Well, I guess you did not do a PPI (pre purchase inspection)? They would have found that.

Unless you had one of those "burble tunes", I don't understand how it can be 30-50 quieter, that makes limited sense.

The good news is that the solution is easy - get a tune!
Old 10-07-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 370 Likes on 158 Posts
AMG
The Update could have changed the way the wastegates are operated during times other then full throttle or the cam adjustment values may have changed..
Otherwise a tune with increased boost can change the tone slightly or if the tuner modifies the wastegate positions.
As Mentioned, time to get a tune!

Last edited by 5soko; 10-07-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:14 AM

E63 AMG S
Yes. Definitely sounded more rumbly and burbly, but definitely sounded just like stock on heavy load but louder. I still hear the burble on low revs but it does sound like some valves are closed now blocking the sound. I don’t get any sound on accelerating up at low revs, I don’t hear the turbos spool at high revs. And I don’t hear the overrun on deceleration.

Do any any of you guys know if any of the off the shelf tunes, renntech, Weistec, eurocharged (?) has this effect. I’m sure boost is increased but not sure about noise. I feel most people get down pipes and other hardware changes with tune so they don’t hear the effect of just the tune. Or would this likely been a custom tune

im also going to call up the tuning shops to see their input. Thanks everyone. It’s hard to go back to a stock car when youve been driving a tuned car thinking it was stock for 30K+ miles
Old 10-07-2019, 10:15 AM

E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by FastWgn
Well, I guess you did not do a PPI (pre purchase inspection)? They would have found that.

Unless you had one of those "burble tunes", I don't understand how it can be 30-50 quieter, that makes limited sense.

The good news is that the solution is easy - get a tune!
I assumed it was stock, and it was a reasonable assumption given it was certified pre owned through the MB dealer. That’s the messed up part. Plus I bought the car Bc it sounded so good. Now I find out it’s not stock and it doesn’t sound as good