W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Seeking Help with some codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2020 | 11:04 PM

2019 E63 AMGs
Question Seeking Help with some codes

Hey all,
Quick ask for help about a few codes that have popped up on my OBD scanner (using bluedriver).
I've been troubleshooting CEL after doing the Eurocharged tune and experiencing massive misfires when "flooring" the throttle in S+ mode or Race start.
In normal and even aggressive operation of the car no issues - maybe tuned a bit too aggressive??? never had this issue prior to tune -
So far I've replaced all spark plugs to step 2 colder and replaced ignition coils on 1 and 5.. still getting P0301 and P0300 - but I'll work through that.

In any case while troubleshooting I also found several other codes:
B238A - Fan of the control unit has malfunction -- This seems like the COMAND units secondary fan had died or is limping - just looking for confirmation - It will be easy to pull the unit out but does anyone know if you can just replace a fan?

B1113 -- no idea what this is but I've seen it before - it say Air conditioning code - not sure about what - my A/C works fine but curious what the code actually is.

C156B - I have not seen this one before so I'm hoping it's just a one time fluke. It is tied to AIRMATIC and description is :The time for filling compressed air reservoir was exceeded. -- hopefully I don't have a leak

C163A -- I can't find a single thing on this one. It say The control unit DISTRONIC is blocked by dirt or by a foreign object. I look at all the cameras and little black circle things around the car and couldn't find anything. Is there a way which sensor/radar/camera this actually is??

U0168 - Communication with the electronic ignition lock has a malfunction. The message is missing -- no clue what this is - I've seen this pretty consistently and it's classifiied as Multifunction camera code - My 360 works fine so I'm confused.

Anyway, thanks in advance on any insight anyone might have..

The car is a 2016 E63S AMG ...

Cheers.

yes I googled the crap out of these
Old 03-04-2020 | 12:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Hi

sorry to hear about the issue

you had no codes with the stock ecu?

have you considered reverting back to stock and seeing if the codes go away? Could be a bad tune or too aggressively tuned for your octane. Bad gas is also bad gas. You should get a second ecu for EC to keep stock and one to keep the tune on

what gas and octane are you running?

i have an Ams tune

how many miles on your car
how many miles tuned?

in S and C you have no issues at WOT?

Last edited by PeterUbers; 03-04-2020 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-04-2020 | 02:03 AM

E63s
Pretty much what peter said. I would start with the obvious.
what plugs are you running? You mentioned two ranges colder. Can you list the exact plug you have?
I highly recommend running the stock tune for a week or so and driving the heck out of it in sport plus to see if anything like that comes again.
Old 03-04-2020 | 06:46 AM

2019 E63 AMGs
Hey guys.
I really appreciate you jumping in right away but I'm not so worried about the tune and misfires at this point.
I'm running NGK97506 gapped to 0.22 (replaced stock a month ago after seeing misfire on stock)
52700 miles
Running on BP 92
I feel like I have some work -- like checking if plugs were fouled up due to bad coils. I replaced the coils but didn't replace the plugs. So I'll work and most likely come back to this problem.

My main question was the other codes and learning about them and how to fix them.
I am pretty sure they existed before the tune. Especially the control fan one and distronic/camera ones - I often got parking and blind assist inoperative error EVERY time after rain but it would correct itself after a bit

In any case thank you again for jumping in. Let's see if anyone has magic info on the rest of the codes.

@PeterUbers - you mentioned getting a second ECU - any good pointer where/cost - parts and programming

Thanks!!!

Old 03-04-2020 | 12:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Alan Sakoman
Hey guys.
I really appreciate you jumping in right away but I'm not so worried about the tune and misfires at this point.
I'm running NGK97506 gapped to 0.22 (replaced stock a month ago after seeing misfire on stock)
52700 miles
Running on BP 92
I feel like I have some work -- like checking if plugs were fouled up due to bad coils. I replaced the coils but didn't replace the plugs. So I'll work and most likely come back to this problem.

My main question was the other codes and learning about them and how to fix them.
I am pretty sure they existed before the tune. Especially the control fan one and distronic/camera ones - I often got parking and blind assist inoperative error EVERY time after rain but it would correct itself after a bit

In any case thank you again for jumping in. Let's see if anyone has magic info on the rest of the codes.

@PeterUbers - you mentioned getting a second ECU - any good pointer where/cost - parts and programming

Thanks!!!
the rain induced problem could be a bad wire harness .... easy fix and could be under warranty

how many miles on the car

ebay for used ecu and EC does he programming:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...cu-tune-2.html
Old 03-04-2020 | 01:22 PM

2019 E63 AMGs
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
the rain induced problem could be a bad wire harness .... easy fix and could be under warranty

how many miles on the car

ebay for used ecu and EC does he programming:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...cu-tune-2.html
I mentioned it was 52700 miles. Warranty is expired (2016 model)

I was hoping the code would tell me which one so I don't have to hunt for the broken one among 12 of them or however many there are.
Old 06-21-2020 | 01:30 PM

2016 E350 Sport 2WD
I have a 2016 E350 with 2 of the same codes you posted about earlier. Also I use Bluedriver, maybe coincindental, maybe not.

As for my misfire, p302, I have changed both coil and plug and no change. The strange thing is that the car runs silky smooth at idle, while accelerating, all the time. Normally a miss is quite noticeable, engine shaking, inconsistent exhaust sound at the pipe, poor idle, etc, but none of the usual suspects for my engine.I am using stock ECM and tune.

And I'm right in line with you about the a/c code. If there's something wrong with my HVAC unit I can't tell what it is.
Please update as you have more information and/or solutions.

Originally Posted by Alan Sakoman
Hey all,
Quick ask for help about a few codes that have popped up on my OBD scanner (using bluedriver).
I've been troubleshooting CEL after doing the Eurocharged tune and experiencing massive misfires when "flooring" the throttle in S+ mode or Race start.
In normal and even aggressive operation of the car no issues - maybe tuned a bit too aggressive??? never had this issue prior to tune -
So far I've replaced all spark plugs to step 2 colder and replaced ignition coils on 1 and 5.. still getting P0301 and P0300 - but I'll work through that.

In any case while troubleshooting I also found several other codes:
B1113 -- no idea what this is but I've seen it before - it say Air conditioning code - not sure about what - my A/C works fine but curious what the code actually is.
Old 07-19-2020 | 06:11 AM

2105 e63s
Inspect #1 plug and swap with #3 plug. See is misfire moves. Maybe go back to OE plugs as well.

‘Clear other codes to see what comes back.