W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Catless Downpipes - CEL - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2020 | 02:56 PM

2014 E63S
Catless Downpipes - CEL - Need Help!

Okay so 03/24/20. Redstar downpipes were installed. NO CEL until 04/02/2020 which was poped up. Using my Carly OBD II Reader:

P0420 "Fault: The efficiency of the catalytic converter (cylinder bank 1) is insufficient. _ / Fault: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 / Fault: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 no sub type information / Fault: The efficiency of the catalyst (Bank 1) is not sufficient. _/ Fault: KAT: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 no sub type information / Fault:
The efficiency of the catalytic converter (cylinder bank 1) is not sufficient. / Fault: Is the efficiency of the catalyst (Bank 1) is not ausreichend._ F_M_DOC_DIAG_PASSIVE_APV: The efficiency of the catalyst (Bank 1) is not sufficient."

and P0430 "Fault: The efficiency of the catalytic converter (cylinder bank 2) is insufficient. _ / Fault: The efficiency of the catalyst (cylinder row 2) is not sufficient. _ / Fault: KAT2: Catalyst System
Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2 no sub type information / Fault: The efficiency of the catalytic converter (cylinder bank 2) is not sufficient."

I figure okay fine this is due to having no cats and seems like a normal issues. I ordered 2 Vibrant 11619 J-style Oxygen sensor restrictor fitting, since this is suppose to make the CEL go away. Based on the Amazon Review's and some YouTube videos I watched they say to use the middle size insert.

04/11/2020 - I installed only the left side spacer on the downpipe (couldn't do the right side since had to drop the downpipe and was on a time restraint) I Cleared the P0430 and P0420 codes.

04/12/2020- I expected to still get the P0420 Code which is exactly what happened but I also got this code -
P0060 " Fault: The heater of oxygen sensor 2 (cylinder bank 2) has an implausible resistance value. _ / Fault: The heating of the lambda probe 2 (cylinder number 2) has an implausible electrical resistance. _ / Fault: HSF2: HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 2 Sensor 2 no sub type information / Fault: The heater for oxygen sensor 2 (cylinder bank 2) has an implausible electrical resistance value.??

04/18/2020 - I was getting my engine mounts replaced and during that time I was going to add the right side Spacer since they have to drop the downpipes anyways. So new engine mounts get installed and also added the right side spacer. I Clear the codes again.

04/20/2020 - After driving for some time now, CEL turns on again and this time it's P0060 code and then P0054
P0054 "The heater of oxygen sensor 2 (cylinder bank 1) has an implausible resistance value. _ /Fault: The heating of the lambda probe 2 (Bank 1) has an implausible electrical resistance. _ /Fault: HSF: HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 1 Sensor 2 no sub type information / Fault: The heater for oxygen sensor 2 (cylinder bank 1) has an implausible electrical resistance value.

So if anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. One theory so far is that it could be the spacer inserts and that I should try putting the smallest one inside instead of the medium size one. I am going to test that tomorrow. If anyone else has any input it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you.
Old 04-23-2020 | 11:23 PM

M3, E55, cls63
So what seems to be happening is the spacers you have are bringing the o2 sensors slightly too far from the exhaust stream which is causing ur heating circuit code to pop up. What I would try to do is wrap your o2 sensors in some type of heat wrap that will keep the heat inside there if not then just swap to a slightly shorter spacer. If you have a tune the other thing you can do is have your tuner broaden your heating circuit range so you never hit the limit triggering the CEL.
The following 2 users liked this post by try m3:
a100steaksauce (04-29-2020), shardul (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020 | 01:21 AM

2014 E63S
Originally Posted by try m3
So what seems to be happening is the spacers you have are bringing the o2 sensors slightly too far from the exhaust stream which is causing ur heating circuit code to pop up. What I would try to do is wrap your o2 sensors in some type of heat wrap that will keep the heat inside there if not then just swap to a slightly shorter spacer. If you have a tune the other thing you can do is have your tuner broaden your heating circuit range so you never hit the limit triggering the CEL.
My man! thanks for the response. That makes sense, so you don't think changing out my spacer will help at all? I thought everyone was using these Vibrant J spacers on these cars? :/ The car also has a Renntech tune so I am not sure that they can do anything with that. But I guess it won't hurt to give them a call and ask them. Just add these 02 Sensor harnesses suck. They give you no extra slack to play with. So I could only install the J Space facing up and towards the Turbos not downwards, not sure if that makes a difference though. Does anyone make an extension cable for the harness?
Old 04-24-2020 | 02:24 PM

2014 E63S
I just swapped the left side with a smallest insert and looks like CEL came on even quicker then before. Any suggestions to an alternate spacer I can use? I was under the impression people on here were recommending the Vibrant J 11619 spacer and it was working for them. Not sure why this is NOT the case for me.

Last edited by thabigo22; 04-24-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2020 | 03:38 PM

2014 E63 AMG
I believe anytime you remove the cats, the most reliable way to avoid CELs and other codes from being generated is to have your tuner adjust your tune so that the CEL lights and codes are not generated (by ignoring the sensor, changing variables, or even turning it off - whatever their magic is). Otherwise, you may be experimenting for sometime with no success.

Scott
The following users liked this post:
danclements (04-26-2020)
Old 04-24-2020 | 04:07 PM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by thabigo22
Okay so 03/24/20. Redstar downpipes were installed. NO CEL until 04/02/2020 which was poped up. Using my Carly OBD II Reader:

P0420 "Fault: The efficiency of the catalytic converter (cylinder bank 1) is insufficient. _ / Fault: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 / Fault: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 no sub type information / Fault: The efficiency of the catalyst (Bank 1) is not sufficient. _/ Fault: KAT: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 no sub type information / Fault:
The efficiency of the catalytic converter (cylinder bank 1) is not sufficient. / Fault: Is the efficiency of the catalyst (Bank 1) is not ausreichend._ F_M_DOC_DIAG_PASSIVE_APV: The efficiency of the catalyst (Bank 1) is not sufficient."

and P0430 "Fault: The efficiency of the catalytic converter (cylinder bank 2) is insufficient. _ / Fault: The efficiency of the catalyst (cylinder row 2) is not sufficient. _ / Fault: KAT2: Catalyst System
Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2 no sub type information / Fault: The efficiency of the catalytic converter (cylinder bank 2) is not sufficient."

I figure okay fine this is due to having no cats and seems like a normal issues. I ordered 2 Vibrant 11619 J-style Oxygen sensor restrictor fitting, since this is suppose to make the CEL go away. Based on the Amazon Review's and some YouTube videos I watched they say to use the middle size insert.

04/11/2020 - I installed only the left side spacer on the downpipe (couldn't do the right side since had to drop the downpipe and was on a time restraint) I Cleared the P0430 and P0420 codes.

04/12/2020- I expected to still get the P0420 Code which is exactly what happened but I also got this code -
P0060 " Fault: The heater of oxygen sensor 2 (cylinder bank 2) has an implausible resistance value. _ / Fault: The heating of the lambda probe 2 (cylinder number 2) has an implausible electrical resistance. _ / Fault: HSF2: HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 2 Sensor 2 no sub type information / Fault: The heater for oxygen sensor 2 (cylinder bank 2) has an implausible electrical resistance value.??

04/18/2020 - I was getting my engine mounts replaced and during that time I was going to add the right side Spacer since they have to drop the downpipes anyways. So new engine mounts get installed and also added the right side spacer. I Clear the codes again.

04/20/2020 - After driving for some time now, CEL turns on again and this time it's P0060 code and then P0054
P0054 "The heater of oxygen sensor 2 (cylinder bank 1) has an implausible resistance value. _ /Fault: The heating of the lambda probe 2 (Bank 1) has an implausible electrical resistance. _ /Fault: HSF: HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 1 Sensor 2 no sub type information / Fault: The heater for oxygen sensor 2 (cylinder bank 1) has an implausible electrical resistance value.

So if anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. One theory so far is that it could be the spacer inserts and that I should try putting the smallest one inside instead of the medium size one. I am going to test that tomorrow. If anyone else has any input it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you.
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/
Old 04-24-2020 | 05:31 PM

2014 E63S
Originally Posted by Scott Gerhardt
I believe anytime you remove the cats, the most reliable way to avoid CELs and other codes from being generated is to have your tuner adjust your tune so that the CEL lights and codes are not generated (by ignoring the sensor, changing variables, or even turning it off - whatever their magic is). Otherwise, you may be experimenting for sometime with no success.

Scott
Unfortunately Scott this is not an option for me. Renntech will not make any changes to their tune, that has to do with emissions. So that is out of the option, I am stuck figuring out another way.
Old 04-24-2020 | 05:33 PM

2014 E63S
Originally Posted by TTTAAAMMM
Thanks for the link. Do you have personal experience with these?
Old 04-24-2020 | 05:43 PM

E63 AMG
Thanks for the link. Do you have personal experience with these?
Not on my E63, but I'm using their mini cat adapters on my R35, and have a friend used same product on he's Mclaren, so far so good.

I did some researches prior and big daddie garage mini cat adapter is the only one that works compare to other companies with similar copy cat product.

I highly recommend it.
Old 04-24-2020 | 05:54 PM

2014 E63S
Not on my E63, but I'm using their mini cat adapters on my R35, and have a friend used same product on he's Mclaren, so far so good.

I did some researches prior and big daddie garage mini cat adapter is the only one that works compare to other companies with similar copy cat product.

I highly recommend it.
awesome brother, Thank you, I might give those a shot and do some more testing. Also is there a way to contact them directly? Their website looks like it was made from back in 2002. lol

Last edited by thabigo22; 04-24-2020 at 05:58 PM.
sabredog (04-29-2020)
Old 04-24-2020 | 06:15 PM

E63 AMG
awesome brother, Thank you, I might give those a shot and do some more testing. Also is there a way to contact them directly? Their website looks like it was made from back in 2002. lol
I felt the same way about their website and their company name. But the product quality is great and received the parts within a few days. I've never spoken or contacted them directly.

Old 04-27-2020 | 01:21 PM

E63S
Keep us posted! I have been delaying my catless weistec install (also have rentech tune) due to the CEL triggering. I went through this with my X5M and tried vibrant spacers and they didn't work. I swapped to Fabspeed's mini cats and that didnt work either. I may cut the cat delete section and have 200cells fabbed in- unsure yet. I'm in a ready county that requires o2 readiness to pass inspection unfortunately.

https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-o...verter-single/

Old 04-27-2020 | 01:30 PM

2014 E63S
Originally Posted by Ncbimma
Keep us posted! I have been delaying my catless weistec install (also have rentech tune) due to the CEL triggering. I went through this with my X5M and tried vibrant spacers and they didn't work. I swapped to Fabspeed's mini cats and that didnt work either. I may cut the cat delete section and have 200cells fabbed in- unsure yet. I'm in a ready county that requires o2 readiness to pass inspection unfortunately.

https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-o...verter-single/

Yea i just ordered the BigDaddie ones should get them later week install them and see how goes from there. I will keep you posted. I saw those Fabspeed ones as well. They look nice but pricey, good to know that those didn't work either.
TTTAAAMMM (04-28-2020)
Old 04-27-2020 | 11:43 PM

E63 S-AMG
Please keep us posted...I actually have the same exact problem (same codes). I have been leaving the CEL on and its annoying not to mention a direct fail when being tested.
Old 04-27-2020 | 11:45 PM

2014 E63S
Originally Posted by MBHR
Please keep us posted...I actually have the same exact problem (same codes). I have been leaving the CEL on and its annoying not to mention a direct fail when being tested.
Would you mind sharing what attempts you made to get rid of your CEL to add to the list of what is not working?
Old 04-28-2020 | 10:36 PM

E63 S-AMG
My mechanic changed out the spacers and it did not work. My mechanic got on the phone with the tuner and the AMR tuner basically said it was not on them and that there was nothing they could do. I have been living with it ever since July 2019!

I currently have intake spacers and filter upgrades, along with the obvious mid-pipes we are speaking about. I have a stage 2 tune through AMR (handheld) with 93 and 100 race gas. I haven't put the car on the dyno since this new tune, but AMR tells me I may expect 600awhp and 740awtq. AMR also said that I could expect another 35awhp from the race gas. I haven't tried the race gas map through the handheld as of yet, and I am not sure I will since I just learned Eurocharge is offering a new E85 Flex tune that is supposed to deliver 680-720awhp and around 640awtq on a completely "STOCK" motor for around $2700 for my 2014 E63 S-AMG.

Last edited by MBHR; 04-28-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2020 | 12:47 AM

2014 AMG E63S and 2020 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by MBHR
My mechanic changed out the spacers and it did not work. My mechanic got on the phone with the tuner and the AMR tuner basically said it was not on them and that there was nothing they could do. I have been living with it ever since July 2019!

I currently have intake spacers and filter upgrades, along with the obvious mid-pipes we are speaking about. I have a stage 2 tune through AMR (handheld) with 93 and 100 race gas. I haven't put the car on the dyno since this new tune, but AMR tells me I may expect 600awhp and 740awtq. AMR also said that I could expect another 35awhp from the race gas. I haven't tried the race gas map through the handheld as of yet, and I am not sure I will since I just learned Eurocharge is offering a new E85 Flex tune that is supposed to deliver 680-720awhp and around 640awtq on a completely "STOCK" motor for around $2700 for my 2014 E63 S-AMG.
Just to correct the EC E85 figures... the EC Flex Tune delivers between 680awhp & 720rwhp and around 740awtq on a completely "STOCK" motor, i.e no supporting mods like air filters, intakes, or Catless exhausts.
BCP (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020 | 07:27 AM

2007 e350 sport. 2010 350 4matic sport. Worlds first W212 E63R self built.
I use the vibrant spacer. But not the j style. And it has worked for my e63 and my e 350 . Each car needed different size restrictors but they work

ed
The following 3 users liked this post by Cifdig:
BCP (04-29-2020), MBHR (05-01-2020), sabredog (04-29-2020)
Old 05-13-2020 | 09:39 PM

E63S
Just got my pipes on and had the mini cat spacers...CEL came on within 5 mins after leaving the shop...grrr...
Old 05-13-2020 | 09:56 PM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Ncbimma
Just got my pipes on and had the mini cat spacers...CEL came on within 5 mins after leaving the shop...grrr...
Sure the shop installed it correctly, there’s a washer provided with it. 5 minutes, sounds like there’s issue with the install. Monitors would need take some time to read sensors, unless it’s completely open circuit or disconnected during drive cycle. I would scan DTC’s and double check the install for errors. Just my opinion. Sorry.
Old 05-13-2020 | 10:00 PM

E63S
Sure the shop installed it correctly, there’s a washer provided with it. 5 minutes, sounds like there’s issue with the install. Monitors would need take some time to read sensors, unless it’s completely open circuit or disconnected during drive cycle. I would scan DTC’s and double check the install for errors. Just my opinion. Sorry.
Good point. They drove it around at lunch so that might have added some miles to the cycle- I picked it up after work.

I'll pull the codes tomorrow!
Old 05-14-2020 | 08:34 AM

E63S
Codes 0060, 0054

Heating range issues.
Old 09-01-2020 | 09:18 PM

335i e90
Did this code problem ever get rectified ?
Old 09-01-2020 | 09:32 PM

E63S
I'm still throwing cat codes and now a misfire...reset Man times and returns shortly after. I'll be reverting soon...at least to get inspected and then possibly run hi flow cats.
Old 09-01-2020 | 09:35 PM

335i e90
That sucks. did anyone try the big dadys garage mini cat spacers ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Catless Downpipes - CEL - Need Help!