W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

4matic popped out of gear after hitting a bump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2020 | 05:07 PM

e63s
4matic popped out of gear after hitting a bump?

Anyone else ever have that happen?
took off from a light, hit a big bump, almost like a speed bump sized bump, and the car remained in Drive but just revved. Put it into neutral for a few seconds and back into drive, same, just revved.

no warnings or messages on the gauges.
pulled over, turned the car off and restarted and continued on my way.

WTF?! I won’t be hitting that bump again that’s for sure.
2014e63s
Old 07-18-2020 | 03:22 PM

e63s
Lucky me I guess.
Old 07-18-2020 | 06:32 PM

2016 E63s
Never had that happen. There have been times where the traction control lags a little too long after driving through gullies or other strange road undulations, so maybe related.

Old 07-18-2020 | 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by fte63s
Anyone else ever have that happen?
took off from a light, hit a big bump, almost like a speed bump sized bump, and the car remained in Drive but just revved. Put it into neutral for a few seconds and back into drive, same, just revved.

no warnings or messages on the gauges.
pulled over, turned the car off and restarted and continued on my way.

WTF?! I won’t be hitting that bump again that’s for sure.
2014e63s
FTE - hey, so i've had that happen twice actually.... same as you, floored it on a flat road that had a small bump/lip in the road and as the car hit the bump the trans cut out. i pulled over and restarted and it was 100% fine. got a code saying something about wheel speed error or something but i cleared it and no issues. definitely would not (knowingly) floor it ever again over a bump!!!
Old 07-24-2020 | 06:43 PM

e63s
Originally Posted by jvakos
FTE - hey, so i've had that happen twice actually.... same as you, floored it on a flat road that had a small bump/lip in the road and as the car hit the bump the trans cut out. i pulled over and restarted and it was 100% fine. got a code saying something about wheel speed error or something but i cleared it and no issues. definitely would not (knowingly) floor it ever again over a bump!!!
Feeling better after reading your response. At least I'm not alone. Certainly will be avoiding that lane in the future.
I've had other weirdness related to traction control being dangerously aggressive but that was because I had replaced my tires in the back a few weeks before replacing the fronts. Traction control almost made me spin coming off a freeway exist. After turning the wheel about a half turn, there must have been a speed mismatch due to different diameter of worn and new tires.. locked everything up on one side and pulled the car aggressively into the next lane.. now I have 2 things to not do again.

Thanks guys