W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 E63 AMGs air suspension issue - please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63 AMG S
2015 E63 AMGs air suspension issue - please help!

So I have a 2015 E63 AMG-S 22k miles. Yesterday the malfunction yellow light came on of the car with the up arrow inside it. I noticed that both back wheels are sitting as low (the rear passenger side is really low) and I do not hear the compressor working at all when I walk near the car and unlock it etc. like normal. Any chance it's just the fuse or do you all think it's prob the compressor that's dead? I was slowly going over some speed bumps yesterday when the light came on and then when getting home noticed how low the car was in the rear.

I am a reasonably competent DIY guy but I doubt replacing the compressor is something I would be able to do myself. I live in South Florida and the prices shops here charge are crazy. Any ideas or things I could trouble shoot outside of taking it in. Regardless whats wrong I am sure they will tell me its something major and want thousands. Would like to see if I can first do some basic trouble shooting myself. Both sides on the rear are very low in just the back, it happened really sudden and I don't hear the compressor at all when I get to the car with the key or turn it off etc. like I normally would. Any advice and help would be really appreciated. I feel like I had a lot of warranty work on the aromatic suspension for stuff like an airbag etc. when it was under warranty. This would not be so bad if this same week one of my house's AC units died and Ill be spending $5k to replace that. When it rains it pours..... Thanks in advance for any assistance and sorry if this has been covered before.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:51 PM

Received 370 Likes on 158 Posts
AMG
First things first, read the codes, relay for the pump is in the trunk.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:54 PM

2015 E63 AMG S
I don't have a code reader. Was thinking I could check the fuse or something. I know there have been a ton of issues with these air suspensions on these cars. I always found it funny how it would "spit" and "puff" when you got near it with the key and parked it etc.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:25 PM

2015 E63 AMG S
OK super weird, Just started the car and it rose like it should on both sides and I could hear the compressor working. No warning light. I put it in the sport suspension setting (2 red lights) and watched it lower on both sides. Put it in C mode and heard the compressor come on and raise the car on both sides then cut off and heard what sounded like some air bleed from the compressor area under the drivers side rear where I guess it's located but the car kept its height. Drove it around the block no issue. Parked it in garage and turned it off and it lowered some like I always has when you park it and its on C mode. What the heck? Clearly something was wrong because it was much lower this AM when I first went out and checked in it then it is now. What are the odds it's not a bag leak and going to cost me a fortune? So I know the compressor works, I know it is not a fuse or the compressor would not work right? Thoughts outside taking it in for them to pull the codes etc?
Old 08-15-2020, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
2 things...

1. You need to find a competent Indy. If not, you're playing with fire out of warranty.
2. Don't tell him you have aromatic suspension. He will smile and your bill will go up exponentially.
The following 3 users liked this post by allenjdmb:
danclements (08-20-2020), E63_SauceGod (08-15-2020), Solo wing (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 03:36 PM

2015 E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by allenjdmb
1. You need to find a competent Indy. If not, you're playing with fire out of warranty.
2. Don't tell him you have aromatic suspension. He will smile and your bill will go up exponentially.
So I took the cover off the bottom and it released all the air and the back is low again. I noticed that there was some wear on the clear plastic airlines where it was rubbing against the cover which looks like someone (had to be the dealer) cut at some point because I know I did not and have not taken it anywhere else. the compressor runs when you start it and I can feel air going thu the lines. How heard is replacing one of those lines without a lift? I think its the line to the rear passenger wheel because that side seems lower then the rear driver side one. But they are both low. WTF? When the cover was on it seemed to compress that line (all the lines actually) and keep it from leaking air because when I would pull the cover off the line it would hiss air.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2105 e63s
Are you saying the lines are leaking air or they just look worn a little? If you can feel air coming out of the line then yes do the line. If not you probably need a new bag.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
C207 E550
You also need a new cover for the compressor.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:47 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
if the airline has a hole rubbed in it, you don't have to replace the line. Just get a push-loc coupler, cut out the bad 1/4 of line and push both ends of the hose into the new coupler. Bingo-Bango, done.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:54 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by nota_amg
if the airline has a hole rubbed in it, you don't have to replace the line. Just get a push-loc coupler, cut out the bad 1/4 of line and push both ends of the hose into the new coupler. Bingo-Bango, done.
Do you have any information or a product number for the push-loc coupler you mentioned here? Thanks!
Old 02-05-2023, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
W212 AirMatic Pump info:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Airmatic pump.pdf (586.4 KB, 93 views)