Sponsored by:

Carvana '14 e63s heads up.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 01:16 PM

Received 608 Likes on 273 Posts
poop
Carvana '14 e63s heads up.

Just a heads up for anyone searching for an e63 that may stumble across this.

I was looking for the lowest mile 14-16 e63s nation wide and it just so happened to be a 22k mile 2014 e63s WDDHF7GBXEA884523 from carvana current link https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1608316
As you can see it shows just one 'level 1' imperfection, a small chip on the hood.

I ended up returning the car after just one day due to just to many issues. I always expect and thus forgive a few small things, but ultimately... this car was well beyond my threshold.
Mechanical issues:
-Rear sunroof shade INOP does not retract
-slight steering wheel vibration
-front right wheel has substantial bend. Outside visible, measured inside runout at 0.105" (~2.7mm)
-Rear left rim has moderate bend, just outside of spec, Measured runout at .030" (~1mm)
-Rear left tire nearly 8 years old, DOT date 2413 and shows significant sidewall deterioration and cracking
-Rear brake pads at 25%

Cosmetic:
-Front left and rear right rims have poorly repaired curb damage, IMO they are still damaged
-missing cup holder cover
-Moderate front bumper damage on both forward facing surfaces as well as below

Overall the condition of the car was fair. It pretty clear the car was not stored under a garage, but rather outside under a sprinkler. Hard water stains over the entire car. The black parts of roof next to the glass are faded. The grey paint on the wheels is terrible, they are rough and permanently stained. Interior was nice, but the wood trim was very faded.
I spoke with carvana about the bumper on the first day before i knew about the rest and the did agree to "fix" the front bumper. But as the list grew, I just decide not to deal with the hassle of multiple drives to body shops, dealers, tire centers etc to see even IF they would agree to fix the other issues.
I will say, i dont think its an entire loss by any means. The rest body has no dings or scratches. It just needs a good paint correction. If your patient enough and think you can talk them into fixing the bumper and replacing the wheels and tires it can be made a good car. I just want to pass along what you should expect

Last think I will mention. I would not recommend getting any car with even a semi low front end delivered from carvana..., pick it up. Their trucks have just to steep of a ramp, almost every car will scrape the nose while unloading.

Last edited by kenneyd; 12-23-2020 at 01:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cotmfk (12-23-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 03:07 PM

Received 152 Likes on 108 Posts
2013 E63 P30, 2010 GL550
It is a shame that someone could degrade a premium vehicle this much over just 2 oil changes. Those in the market can better understand the item for sale and make informed decision thanks to your reporting.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
I will never buy a car or house without seeing it and touching it and testing it.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:36 PM

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts
E63s
Most likely was owned but someone old and rich that did not give a crap about these issues. Tires being that old, this was most likely a weekend/trip car. The bottom scratches are somewhat normal from entering higher driveways or gas stations.
Wheels, again old people parking or even my wife, or any wife. lool
Pending its condition in person and inspection, with 22k on it (barely break in mileage) I'd go for a 22k mile car that needs 3-4k worth of minor cosmetic work over a 60k mile car that needs zero work.
OEM wheels and tires and can be found for less than 2K usually, that would solve the rim/tire/vibration issue. Front bumper could use a respray, maybe 700 bucks? although it doesnt need it lol. Sunroof issue thats a common problem on most cars with panoramic roofs, I had the same issue with mine and had to retighten the roof bolts and all is well now. When the roof flexes a plastic clip for the rear sunroof shade moves and prevents it from moving.
What I'm trying to say, not everyone is a car freak like us lol if this was driven by someone 60+ years I think it could be a tarnished gem. Quick polish and shes as good as new
just my $0.02

Last edited by SAMzE63s; 12-22-2020 at 07:39 PM.
AngryScotsman (12-23-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 892 Likes on 626 Posts
E63S | X5
Honestly, this isn't a terrible look for carvana... They just took the car back it seems without giving you a hard time which I understand is their policy but I still feel like there would be some push back on their end trying to get you to keep it.

Unloading the car is a good note to keep and just be ready to receive it, put down boards, good to go.

I've gone done the carvana road once before and my biggest gripe is they essentially will not negotiate on price or at least that was the impression I got.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Kind of unfair to say 60 year olds abuse cars. I am 68 and my wife and I do not abuse our cars. My 2011 E63 AMG which I have owned for many years has no scratches, no bent wheels no door dings. Same with my wife's car, no dings or scratches. I have seen 30 year old people never wash or wax their car. Some people don't care and the age of an owner has nothing to do with how a vehicle is maintained.
The following 9 users liked this post by homeofstone:
Anotherone (12-23-2020), cotmfk (12-23-2020), dustinN (12-30-2020), EvadTheFist (03-24-2021), jtjbt20x (12-27-2020), jvakos (12-25-2020), sc98 (12-25-2020), thebug44 (12-22-2020), Yakatak (12-26-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-22-2020, 08:54 PM

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts
E63s
Originally Posted by homeofstone
Kind of unfair to say 60 year olds abuse cars. I am 68 and my wife and I do not abuse our cars. My 2011 E63 AMG which I have owned for many years has no scratches, no bent wheels no door dings. Same with my wife's car, no dings or scratches. I have seen 30 year old people never wash or wax their car. Some people don't care and the age of an owner has nothing to do with how a vehicle is maintained.
I'm sorry if that insulted you that was not my intension, if you're 60 and you're still on the forums I hope I have your passion when I'm your age. I have a feeling I'm gonna be a grumpy old man it scares me lol
My brother is 35 years old and he doesn't care if his car does not have doors, as long as it drives. What I mean is not everyone cares about their car the way a car enthusiast does. Which could explain the minor issues with the car posted in this thread.
homeofstone (12-22-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 12:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lincoln
Originally Posted by SAMzE63s
Most likely was owned but someone old and rich that did not give a crap about these issues. Tires being that old, this was most likely a weekend/trip car. The bottom scratches are somewhat normal from entering higher driveways or gas stations.
Wheels, again old people parking or even my wife, or any wife. lool
Pending its condition in person and inspection, with 22k on it (barely break in mileage) I'd go for a 22k mile car that needs 3-4k worth of minor cosmetic work over a 60k mile car that needs zero work.
OEM wheels and tires and can be found for less than 2K usually, that would solve the rim/tire/vibration issue. Front bumper could use a respray, maybe 700 bucks? although it doesnt need it lol. Sunroof issue thats a common problem on most cars with panoramic roofs, I had the same issue with mine and had to retighten the roof bolts and all is well now. When the roof flexes a plastic clip for the rear sunroof shade moves and prevents it from moving.
What I'm trying to say, not everyone is a car freak like us lol if this was driven by someone 60+ years I think it could be a tarnished gem. Quick polish and shes as good as new
just my $0.02
Yeah I agree too. Wheels can be straightened. Tires can be replaced. Front bumper can be repainted. I would be more interested in the car’s mechanical conditions. But thanks op for sharing the info. And oh, $49900 definitely is not an appealing price..
Old 12-23-2020, 01:29 PM

poop
Originally Posted by CarHopper
Honestly, this isn't a terrible look for carvana... They just took the car back it seems without giving you a hard time which I understand is their policy but I still feel like there would be some push back on their end trying to get you to keep it.

Unloading the car is a good note to keep and just be ready to receive it, put down boards, good to go.

I've gone done the carvana road once before and my biggest gripe is they essentially will not negotiate on price or at least that was the impression I got.
A lot of people like carvana, and they're doing extremely well during this covid thing.
However, most of the complaints seem to be related to silver Rock, which is their after sale service and repair company. Basically, they'll say anything to make you keep the car, and then after the 7 days expires, they say sorry we can't fix that.

Yes, they take the car back before 7 days, although they only gave me 6 days due to Christmas. but still, they've tied up my cash for over 2 weeks now, and I still haven't got a refund.

Like I said above, the car is by no means a total loss lol... It's still could be a very nice car If it was treated like a Chevy Aveo. Even in my wife's eyes, she said my old e55 was in so much better shape, And it was 10 years older than and had almost 90,000 mi.
I know many old people that take very good care of their cars, as well as many young people who treat them crap
Old 12-23-2020, 02:47 PM

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
On the shoulder
Thanks for posting this for everyone to see! Frustrating for you to say the least. Hopefully the next one is good to go.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:51 PM

poop
Originally Posted by cotmfk
Thanks for posting this for everyone to see! Frustrating for you to say the least. Hopefully the next one is good to go.
Thankthanks, I'm already located another one, and as soon as carvana releases my funds. It'll be on its way!
Old 12-24-2020, 08:45 AM

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts
2014 E63S
Originally Posted by kenneyd
Thankthanks, I'm already located another one, and as soon as carvana releases my funds. It'll be on its way!
Just in case you run by a 2016 white e63s with tints, low miles like 29-30k i believe its currently in Indiana somewhere now,might hit the auctions tho stay away from that car as well. Was traded into a bmw dealership for a new m5. That cars transmission is on its way out due to abuse and negligence. Also the drivers side doors front and back had bullet holes from a drive by shooting. Was about 20k in damage and 6 months of repairs.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:05 AM

poop
Originally Posted by Mojo20032004
Just in case you run by a 2016 white e63s.........
... Also the drivers side doors front and back had bullet holes from a drive by shooting.
Bullet holes? Lol

I saw carvana now shows my 14 is available to purchase again. Nothing new disclosed on the ad, I can't imagine they fixed anything in this amount of time over Christmas.
And on another note, they still have all my money.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:59 AM

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts
2014 E63S
Bullet holes? Lol

I saw carvana now shows my 14 is available to purchase again. Nothing new disclosed on the ad, I can't imagine they fixed anything in this amount of time over Christmas.
And on another note, they still have all my money.
well the bullet holes got repaired and such,so nothing really to see anymore,but the car has history now and avoid it just incase you run by it
Old 12-26-2020, 08:19 PM

poop
Well I spoke with carvana today after my bank told me there are no pending ACH transfers from carvana. Even though they have been in possession of the car since monday the 21st, the return is still "pending" in their system, the refund has not even been initiated. YET the car has already been resold on the carvana webpage! They just told me the funds wont even be sent, (much less received) until the 29th.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:19 PM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by Mojo20032004
......... Also the drivers side doors front and back had bullet holes from a drive by shooting. Was about 20k in damage and 6 months of repairs.
This is Internet legend territory........ :-)
Perfect.
And who would ever buy a car with bullet holes in it? Even if repaired?

As relates to Carvana - I have bought car from them and had a great experience. Esp when searching for an unusual car you have the advantage of getting the car shipped to YOU, for free, and for you to THEN do a PPI by your local trusted mechanic. As others have said, their business model is based on being very open in accepting the 7 day return, but be declining anything after the 7 days. Very smart since most people don't care enough or want enough hassle to check out the car independently during those 7 days.
Depending on the car, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Make sure to send back anything that is not as advertised.
And I was a 100% "never buy until you see it" kind off guy. And have flown many of times, returning emptyhanded.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 323 Likes on 248 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
Well I spoke with carvana today after my bank told me there are no pending ACH transfers from carvana. Even though they have been in possession of the car since monday the 21st, the return is still "pending" in their system, the refund has not even been initiated. YET the car has already been resold on the carvana webpage! They just told me the funds wont even be sent, (much less received) until the 29th.
Thanks for sharing this, and let us know when you get refunded.

I've considered a vehicle on carvana, and the love-it-or-return-it "guarantee" sounds good on paper ... but I've wondered how well it really worked.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:02 PM

poop
Originally Posted by ghlkal
Thanks for sharing this, and let us know when you get refunded.

I've considered a vehicle on carvana, and the love-it-or-return-it "guarantee" sounds good on paper ... but I've wondered how well it really worked.
The 7-day return policy Is a great marketing ploy, granted their business model wouldn't work without it. But it's not "worry free"... it's the equivalent of the person that says the worst insult, and then just says "just kidding". What I mean is, there are still consequences.
for me, factoring the refund time plus the initial wait, they've tied up my cash for almost 3 weeks meaning I've been carless and can't go buy a new car unless I take out a loan. For others that might mean they eat the transportation fee, or a loan initiation fee, or have to have multiple credit checks if they used outside lending.

IMO, their inspection is simply a quick walk around. They hope to pass off that responsibility to the consumer and hope they don't notice in the first 7 days
Old 12-30-2020, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally Posted by homeofstone
Originally Posted by SAMzE63s
I'm sorry if that insulted you that was not my intension, if you're 60 and you're still on the forums I hope I have your passion when I'm your age. I have a feeling I'm gonna be a grumpy old man it scares me lol
My brother is 35 years old and he doesn't care if his car does not have doors, as long as it drives. What I mean is not everyone cares about their car the way a car enthusiast does. Which could explain the minor issues with the car posted in this thread.
I bet that car is beat up like that because that old owner let his kids drive it .

I am a "grumpy old man" and one of the only passions left is driving my AMG's fast and loud! Grandpa loves to make exhaust pops and bangs! LOL! Also keeping them cleaned and detailed every week is an obsession and is therapeutic for old men.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 12-30-2020 at 08:45 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by E55 KEV:
hardyli (12-30-2020), pierrejoliat (01-01-2021), Yakatak (01-01-2021)