Sponsored by:

Carbon Ceramic Brake pad p/n

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 01:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63 S Wagon
Carbon Ceramic Brake pad p/n

I hope this turns out to be a non issue but Ive noticed something this week thats starting to possibly give me cause for concern. My 2014 e63 s wagon has the CCB option and has been flawless for the year plus Ive owned it. Pads were last changed 17,000 miles ago and MB of Marin stated that they replaced them with the appropriate P/Ns...

007 420 71 20 and 007 420 72 20

Fast forward to the week and as I drive Ive noticed some noise from the brakes, after looking more closely at the pads I noticed a different part number on the rear pads (front arent readily visible with wheels on) A 006 420 04 20. I cant find this part number anywhere when searching online. I hope these pads havent damaged the rotors... that would be an expensive error, and the warranty just expired in january of this year... Anyone ever experience anything like this, or recognize the 006 420 04 20 part number? I called MB and they are going to have a tech look at the rotors tomorrow, fingers crossed there isnt any excessive amount of damage.

Regards

Matt
Old 05-11-2021, 01:29 PM

2014 E63 S Wagon
got to the bottom of it

Turns out I do have the correct pads installed....The number stamped on the pad is a "group identifier number:... Between my local MB dealer and ECS tuning I was able to verify that I do have the correct pads on my car.

Now the noise? I still need to figure that out, but it might not be a brake issue, it comes and goes, and only after driving for some time, could be axle or bearing related?
Old 05-13-2021, 12:26 AM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
2021 GLC63 AMG
I have a set of front pads for CCB's for sale.
listed in the market place, including a new sensor and a couple oil filters.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 221 Posts
E63S
I have owned my '14 sedan w/ CCBs for close to 4 years now and even though I barely drive it (~5K miles total) I have noticed the brakes will squeak at times. I switch between summer and winter shoes and I keep an eye on the life of the brake pads. Plenty of meat left in them. I figure brakes just do that once in a while. My previous car, a '04 WRX, had 14" 6 pod Rotora BBKs w/ "street pads"... even though not CCB... still behaved sorta like this... squeaked at times and quiet at times. I personally wouldn't be concerned with a bit of squeaking (unless I saw uneven wear/ grooves being cut into the rotors).
But, what do you mean by "noise"?
Old 05-14-2021, 09:25 AM

2014 E63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
I personally wouldn't be concerned with a bit of squeaking (unless I saw uneven wear/ grooves being cut into the rotors).
But, what do you mean by "noise"?
I am inclined to side with your statement here. I just got back from sea, my car was sitting for a couple months. This is the first time since last year I've been driving with the windows down, the "noise" I hear is very subtle, its slight and its intermittent. It sounds as if something might be scrapping but ever so slightly, and it has a frequency to it, speeds up with increased speed, slows down with a decrease. It is only noticeable if I drive for at least 20 minutes or so, and drive with my driver's window down, and next to a wall, barrier or other car... I really think I am making something out of nothing, but given how expensive these brakes are, was trying to see if this could be a precursor towards them needing a service (although they look and feel fine to me).

R/

Matt

Old 05-15-2021, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 221 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by MerchantM5arine
I am inclined to side with your statement here. I just got back from sea, my car was sitting for a couple months. This is the first time since last year I've been driving with the windows down, the "noise" I hear is very subtle, its slight and its intermittent. It sounds as if something might be scrapping but ever so slightly, and it has a frequency to it, speeds up with increased speed, slows down with a decrease. It is only noticeable if I drive for at least 20 minutes or so, and drive with my driver's window down, and next to a wall, barrier or other car... I really think I am making something out of nothing, but given how expensive these brakes are, was trying to see if this could be a precursor towards them needing a service (although they look and feel fine to me).

R/

Matt
Can't say that I have ever noticed a "scraping" sound that varies according to speed as I drive mine. The squeaking I am referring to is literally when I apply the brakes; and this happens rarely. As far as service these bad boys need, I am under the impression that the rotors could last 100K+ if you drive mostly highway and change the pads at 50% or so. All these "impressions" are based off of interweb reading. At some point during the car's life, brake fluid should also be changed. Good luck with the "noise". Hope it's nothing at all.