Sponsored by:

Brake dust, EBC RedStuff VS OEM, Plus DIY Front brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 11:36 PM

Received 608 Likes on 273 Posts
poop
Brake dust, EBC RedStuff VS OEM, Plus DIY Front brakes

If anyone is curious about how to change your front brakes here's is a how-to.

I also compared the dust levels of the OEM pads vs the EBC redstuff
Thanks guys

The following 7 users liked this post by kenneyd:
cotmfk (05-21-2021), E63_SauceGod (05-21-2021), hardyli (05-22-2021), jvakos (05-21-2021), maxusa (05-21-2021), S63AMG888 (05-21-2021), threeMBs (01-25-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-21-2021, 01:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lincoln
Nice video! Is the process of replacing the rears the same? Also I wonder about how many miles do the front pads and rotors last and how about the rear pads and rotors? Thanks!
Old 05-21-2021, 11:38 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
993 cab, 2014 E63 AMG 4matic T
I'm using the EBC yellows and that's what I've been saying all along in various other threads.
They dust the same.
Btw, I always clean and apply some copper grease in the pad channels on each end.
I also use a wire brush to clean the pins and spring.
Those breaks are the easiest ones to work on ever.
Nice video.
The following users liked this post:
S63AMG888 (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by kenneyd
If anyone is curious about how to change your front brakes here's is a how-to.

I also compared the dust levels of the OEM pads vs the EBC redstuff
Thanks guys

https://youtu.be/yJxlP_bSprE
Kenneyd - saw your video yesterday and it was super helpful your explaining how to replace the fronts so thanks for sharing! I have the EBC reds and from my experience based on hard braking specifically, they do seem to create less brake dust than my MB OEM pads. But again that was under conditions of very aggressive braking where I saw the biggest difference. With casual driving, I agree there doesnt seem to be any difference in brake dust.

The EBC reds do have that "clicking" noise you mentioned in the video coming from the front rotors whenever you go from drive, to reverse, to drive which is annoying for sure!!! Doesnt seem to affect the stopping power at all.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
Nice video as always.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:39 PM

Received 608 Likes on 273 Posts
poop
Originally Posted by hardyli
Nice video! Is the process of replacing the rears the same? Also I wonder about how many miles do the front pads and rotors last and how about the rear pads and rotors? Thanks!
I believe so, but I have not done them yet. If I do I'll make a video of course lol.

Originally Posted by EckFe1
I'm using the EBC yellows and that's what I've been saying all along in various other threads.
They dust the same.
Btw, I always clean and apply some copper grease in the pad channels on each end.
I also use a wire brush to clean the pins and spring.
Those breaks are the easiest ones to work on ever.
Nice video.
Agreed. I've used armor Teflon spray in the past and it's worked fairly well. I think we'll likely just ceramic coat the wheels since it seems not to stick to coated wheels much.
I clean the non-painted parts with just brake cleaner on a paper towel

Originally Posted by jvakos
Kenneyd - saw your video yesterday and it was super helpful your explaining how to replace the fronts so thanks for sharing! I have the EBC reds and from my experience based on hard braking specifically, they do seem to create less brake dust than my MB OEM pads. But again that was under conditions of very aggressive braking where I saw the biggest difference. With casual driving, I agree there doesnt seem to be any difference in brake dust.

The EBC reds do have that "clicking" noise you mentioned in the video coming from the front rotors whenever you go from drive, to reverse, to drive which is annoying for sure!!! Doesnt seem to affect the stopping power at all.
It's funny that many aftermarket pads do that. It would appear that the frame of the EBC's are made from old used Mercedes. I think the gooey pad they put on the back of the OEM Mercedes keeps them from moving and squeaking.

That's it The first inspection after changing the pads there was definitely a lot more dust, similar to the original opening shot of the wheel. However I lost that footage somehow, but the EBC definitely had more dust.
Anyway, it had been like 4 weeks since I started this whole thing and I just had to finish the video so that's why I shot it with less dusty wheel lol

Old 05-21-2021, 05:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Added to sticky