Engine Light On - then goes away after a few restarts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e250 AMG
Engine Light On - then goes away after a few restarts

Hi,

This is my first post here and I did search but nothing specifically matched the problems I am having

I recently bought a 2010 AMG E250, with 48K on the clock, its last service was 2019 (so that is due ) .. When buying and checking the car it all seemed good.

However now that i have had the car a while i have noticed a couple of things.

1) the main issue is the check engine light will come on , however restarting the car 4 or 5 times makes to go away.

i have been trying to diagnose this over the last few days , first i thought it was every time i went over 3000 RPM that it kicked in , however this is not the case as i have got the car to 4000+ and its not kicked in and its kicked in at 2500 when it feels like. Needless to say all of this is when i am trying to accelerate not necessarily too hard.

2) On a cold start sometimes it stalls a couple of times , so i turn on the engine all fine if i think quickly put into drive it will shudder and stop , does it twice and then third time ok, but you can see rev needle shudder a little. I have put BP premium in it , (couldn't find vPower at my local shell).

So my first question is (without the codes) any ideas ?

I know i just need to get a diagnostics and then take it from there which brings me to my next question. A local (ish) Merc dealer offers diagnostics for £55 , (Merc Whitefield), so i called up to book it in and i asked for it to just get the error codes if any etc etc. The woman at the other end refused to book it because the engine light was NOT on at the time , she said that without the light on how can they possibly check for error codes. i am not expert but i am not 100% she is right about that. Is she right or wrong ?

I am local to the Manchester / Oldham / Rochdale ends so if anyone knows anyone who can do a Star diagnostics and get to the bottom of this would be good.

Thanks