W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

2015 E63 Wagon - Unmodified Engine Failure at 42K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2021 | 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
Well glad the Insurance company came through. Mind sharing the name here in a PM? Thanks
Old 09-03-2021 | 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by daniel.jay
To answer a couple questions - I purchased the extended warranty in 2018 at the same time I bought the car. I have good reason to believe that no tune was done prior to my ownership, but it's not impossible.

So, after much run around. The dealership wants $68K for a new motor. The warranty company is going to cover it up to limit of liability ($65K). My SA is trying to get the work done within the limit for me, otherwise I'm on the hook for the overage. I talked to my Porsche/Mercedes independent shop that takes car of my GT3 and he was strongly supportive of going this route if the warranty company was prepared to cover 95%+ of the cost.

For ****s and giggles, I tried to get the warranty company to pay me cash in the $50K+ range or buy the car - it made their head explode and the idea went nowhere. I also tried to get the dealer to take the car in its current condition as a trade-in and they were uninterested. So, new engine it is.
Tell them you are buying the engine yourself, get the Black Boost built engine with upgraded turbos, and pocket the difference.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlownV8:
cotmfk (09-08-2021), fallen (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021 | 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
Crazy an engine fails like this.

My god Yugo engines lasted longer.
Old 09-04-2021 | 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why not buy a used low mileage engine- advertised in FS section? Is there any problem with installing another engine? What am I missing here ?
Old 09-04-2021 | 11:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by ygmn
Crazy an engine fails like this.

My god Yugo engines lasted longer.
Engines fail yes. Now you know. Secret is out.
The following users liked this post:
fallen (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021 | 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by daniel.jay
To answer a couple questions - I purchased the extended warranty in 2018 at the same time I bought the car. I have good reason to believe that no tune was done prior to my ownership, but it's not impossible.

So, after much run around. The dealership wants $68K for a new motor. The warranty company is going to cover it up to limit of liability ($65K). My SA is trying to get the work done within the limit for me, otherwise I'm on the hook for the overage. I talked to my Porsche/Mercedes independent shop that takes car of my GT3 and he was strongly supportive of going this route if the warranty company was prepared to cover 95%+ of the cost.

For ****s and giggles, I tried to get the warranty company to pay me cash in the $50K+ range or buy the car - it made their head explode and the idea went nowhere. I also tried to get the dealer to take the car in its current condition as a trade-in and they were uninterested. So, new engine it is.
$68k seems excessive to me. My SA told me that my brand new long block motor was about $56k retail in the crate. I wouldn’t think it should cost $13k for labor.

I lived what you are going through but I had the MB ELW warranty. There was no cap. In my instance I was thrilled to get s new motor, and still happy I did.

Honestly I see you getting this too at no cost to you. Your SA will get down to your limit number. And I think you should be very happy with a new twin turbo AMG motor!!!

That new motor comes with everything. Turbos, wire harness, etc, etc.

I’ll be the first to say congrats to you!!! 👍
Blade Canyon (09-14-2021)
Old 09-05-2021 | 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Engines fail yes. Now you know. Secret is out.
Not normally and should not in this expensive car if properly maintained.
Sorry...
you should get 250K easily unless design sucks.
Old 09-05-2021 | 11:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Sorry...
i respectfully disagree - some engineered products do fail, even complex well engineered engines.

the MSRP of the car has little to do with that fact, if anything. Ymmv

Old 09-05-2021 | 11:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Sorry...
what percentage of m157 failed that were well maintained, send me the link plz.
Old 09-05-2021 | 12:42 PM

2015 CLS63, 2020 GLC300 Coupe
Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Well glad the Insurance company came through. Mind sharing the name here in a PM? Thanks
I’m also interested in this insurance/warranty company if you don’t mind sharing.
Old 09-05-2021 | 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry...
Well as a professional mechanical engineer here I can tell you that no matter how well any mechanism or product, or in this case a motor, is designed they are all still subject to “yield rates” for any of the vast number of individual components. When we spec a component we look at it’s yield rate, safety factor to failure, etc before locking it in to the production product. But beyond this there is the dynamic of all these components interacting with one another. When you combine these dynamics with the individual yield values for so many parts together with environmental influences on the motor from one region to another you will have a certain amount of failures. This is the system yield value. The engineers in Stuttgart know what this system yield value is from the vast amount of data they have. There will be losses.

This is why warranties are offered by the factory. I have yet to see any motor in a car sold new that is not supported by some factory warranty, no matter how high end.

All designs have some pitfalls somewhere and in just the right conditions, or perhaps a manufacturing defect on a given part, the failure happens at a very small rate. What is left out above in the bad design assessment is manufacturing workmanship. This can vary to a degree within tolerances. When all these tolerances stack up into “the perfect storm” failures can and usually do occur.

In laymen terms this is “**** happens”. Lol

FWIW, I have not heard in any manner that the failure on your motor or mine was some systemic thing like the head bolts on the early M156 were for example. I am in other AMG forums with some of the fastest AMG’s in the country/world and this failure mode is not prevalent or even talked about.

Get that new motor bro, be happy you got it, and enjoy the hell out of it. You won’t have this happen twice.

Cheers
cotmfk (09-08-2021)
Old 09-05-2021 | 01:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Vrodman
Well as a professional mechanical engineer here I can tell you that no matter how well any mechanism or product, or in this case a motor, is designed they are all still subject to “yield rates” for any of the vast number of individual components. When we spec a component we look at it’s yield rate, safety factor to failure, etc before locking it in to the production product. But beyond this there is the dynamic of all these components interacting with one another. When you combine these dynamics with the individual yield values for so many parts together with environmental influences on the motor from one region to another you will have a certain amount of failures. This is the system yield value. The engineers in Stuttgart know what this system yield value is from the vast amount of data they have. There will be losses.

This is why warranties are offered by the factory. I have yet to see any motor in a car sold new that is not supported by some factory warranty, no matter how high end.

All designs have some pitfalls somewhere and in just the right conditions, or perhaps a manufacturing defect on a given part, the failure happens at a very small rate. What is left out above in the bad design assessment is manufacturing workmanship. This can vary to a degree within tolerances. When all these tolerances stack up into “the perfect storm” failures can and usually do occur.

In laymen terms this is “**** happens”. Lol

FWIW, I have not heard in any manner that the failure on your motor or mine was some systemic thing like the head bolts on the early M156 were for example. I am in other AMG forums with some of the fastest AMG’s in the country/world and this failure mode is not prevalent or even talked about.

Get that new motor bro, be happy you got it, and enjoy the hell out of it. You won’t have this happen twice.

Cheers
what this guy said x 1000
Old 09-05-2021 | 10:12 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
As an advanced degreed mechanical engineer with extensive experience in wheeled vehicle industries I can say Mercedes designs and builds garbage.

42k miles with a cylinder score/scuff is evidence. Mountains more evidence exists on this site. Read all of the forum sections on this site. Just a few delicacies for your bedtime reading pleasure:

cylinder head bolts
timing chain tensioners
timing chain check valves
cracked pistons
scuffed cylinders
burned/seized valves
cam position sensors
cam solenoids
air suspension
liftgate and taillamp leaks into SAMs
bluetec engines
intake manifold tumble flaps
unsolvable parasitic battery drain
unsolvable ignition coil failures/misfires
48V batteries
MBUX rebooting again and again

Mercedes is a low quality manufacturer. Quality is defined as meeting customer expectations with low variation. With Mercedes you never know if you're getting a 300k mile gem or a 42k mile turd.

I do believe MB vehicles look nice. Too bad about all of the other stuff.

Last edited by chassis; 09-05-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2021 | 11:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by chassis
As an advanced degreed mechanical engineer with extensive experience in wheeled vehicle industries I can say Mercedes designs and builds garbage.

42k miles with a cylinder score/scuff is evidence. Mountains more evidence exists on this site. Read all of the forum sections on this site. Just a few delicacies for your bedtime reading pleasure:

cylinder head bolts
timing chain tensioners
timing chain check valves
cracked pistons
scuffed cylinders
burned/seized valves
cam position sensors
cam solenoids
air suspension
liftgate and taillamp leaks into SAMs
bluetec engines
intake manifold tumble flaps
unsolvable parasitic battery drain
unsolvable ignition coil failures/misfires
48V batteries
MBUX rebooting again and again

Mercedes is a low quality manufacturer. Quality is defined as meeting customer expectations with low variation. With Mercedes you never know if you're getting a 300k mile gem or a 42k mile turd.

I do believe MB vehicles look nice. Too bad about all of the other stuff.
I'm glad you're chiming in, you can give this a real world engineering look.

is a forum for Benz owners really a good source of actual neutral evidence?

do other brands not have similar systemic issues?

curious if you actually had real empiric data like %m157 engines with this or similar damage against %m157 without such issues.

Last edited by PeterUbers; 09-05-2021 at 11:38 PM.
chassis (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021 | 12:16 AM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I'm glad you're chiming in, you can give this a real world engineering look.

is a forum for Benz owners really a good source of actual neutral evidence?

do other brands not have similar systemic issues?

curious if you actually had real empiric data like %m157 engines with this or similar damage against %m157 without such issues.
c'mon @PeterUbers Are you an employee of either an MB dealership, other brand/franchise car dealership, or Daimler (any division)?

No one has the information you suggested, except possibly Daimler (Mercedes-Benz) or MBUSA. It's unobtainable for Joe Sixpack and John Lunchbucket.

When something looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, the decision needs to be made that a duck is in the room. The duck in this case is that MB is a low quality manufacturer.

42k miles and a grenaded engine because of a scuffed cylinder = low quality garbage

Last edited by chassis; 09-06-2021 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2021 | 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c'mon @PeterUbers Are you an employee of either an MB dealership, other brand/franchise car dealership, or Daimler (any division)?

No one has the information you suggested, except possibly Daimler (Mercedes-Benz) or MBUSA. It's unobtainable for Joe Sixpack and John Lunchbucket.

When something looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, the decision needs to be made that a duck is in the room. The duck in this case is that MB is a low quality manufacturer.

42k miles and a grenaded engine because of a scuffed cylinder = low quality garbage
Well as a fellow ME, I respectively disagree with your generalized assertions. Really have no need to further this with a battle of wits.

My experience AS A CUSTOMER having owned no less than 5 different MB’s of which 3 were AMG’s says otherwise to your “garbage” claim. Yes I had the issue cited above about 2 years back. But thats really the only serious issue I’ve experienced. My first AMG, 2000 E55 went 16 years and 195,000 miles with only a water pump replacement at 120,000 miles.

Pretty sure buyers that can afford a MB are smart enough to not buy garbage that simply “looks good”.

Also, PeterUbers is actually a prominent physician, not any paid advocate for MB. Just a fellow MB enthusiast.

Done here. This went to a bad unnecessary place. My only intention was to help and be a voice of reason. Out.
Old 09-06-2021 | 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well as a fellow ME, I respectively disagree with your generalized assertions. Really have no need to further this with a battle of wits.

My experience AS A CUSTOMER having owned no less than 5 different MB’s of which 3 were AMG’s says otherwise to your “garbage” claim. Yes I had the issue cited above about 2 years back. But thats really the only serious issue I’ve experienced. My first AMG, 2000 E55 went 16 years and 195,000 miles with only a water pump replacement at 120,000 miles.

Pretty sure buyers that can afford a MB are smart enough to not buy garbage that simply “looks good”.

Also, PeterUbers is actually a prominent physician, not any paid advocate for MB. Just a fellow MB enthusiast.

Done here. This went to a bad unnecessary place. My only intention was to help and be a voice of reason. Out.
Old 09-06-2021 | 07:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

i respect your opinion, but I disagree. It's a worthy argument to have nonetheless.
The following 2 users liked this post by PeterUbers:
chassis (09-06-2021), need2speed (10-18-2021)
Old 09-06-2021 | 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
Well I am also an ME and specialize in Hydraulic machines with industrial diesel engines.
These babies can last forever again if properly maintained as they are designed too.

And yes crap breaks but should not be early in a life cycle otherwise the $$ does not make sense.
So would MB put up with the lifespan some of these engines get on their production line?

HELL NO - auto manufacturers are looking for a quality rate of 99.999% if not better - so 1 part in 100,000 that is 1 part not entire car.

HOW MANY ON HERE have engine troubles?
1 is too many but that would be ok to read.
but when every page has major failure of something engine or crappy air ride and it is ok to owners?
Arggggggggg

MB is now a rental car company (leasing) and that is all they care about 3 yrs life and they control the mileage to be low for resale to a public who is about to get hammered on repairs.

Yeah everyone has different experience and perspective but to me a car is a tool or machine and should have value and not fail so early if it cost so dayum much.
WTH is the expensive price for if not quality which is not there?
DO not say tech as all the other manufacturers have about the same safety stuff and it tends to work better and all the time unlike MB

I knock on wood everyday mine has not failed yet.
MOre nervous with this car then the volvo or 175K truck

My point; go read other car orums for other cars and manufacturers and you do not read much about major costly failures
That is a sign of CRAP engineering in my book.

Also people DO NOT EXCEPT A failed engine as normal. they get pissed and scream.
That is what gets me yall think this is ok to shell out $65K for a new engine - but wait the Extended warranty I over paid for will cover it.
Again CRAZY!

Now I love my car for all the features but the reliability and part cost scares me to death and yeah I am thinking how to get out of it but there is a new/used car market issue right now.

Old 09-06-2021 | 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you all ME go over to the other forums, you would see every marque has it's own issues.
Porsche have the dreaded IMS bearings, coolant lines, scoring valves, failed hydraulic lifters, rear spoiler issues, Rear main seals, 2nd gear pop outs, consistant oil leaks to name few
BMW has similar issues too like Coolings problems, HPFP's engine bearings, Head studs, transmission espcially the SMG issues, Timing chain problems in X series, Connecting rod bearings, Vanos and Vlave guide seals
Similarly, I think Bentleys, R/R are garbage too for If I paid $300,000 for a car, I don't have to spend a a single dime for at east 10 years, right---wrong?

Point is, If you spend some time in other enthusiast sites, all high end especially performance engines, they all have their issues. I have owned several BMW's and Porsches and still do so i know what i am talking about. I jst sold my POS X5M and bought a 2014 E63s and for now I am quit happy with the move.

Last edited by C2 Turbo; 09-06-2021 at 10:47 AM.
cotmfk (09-08-2021)
Old 09-06-2021 | 09:21 AM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
i respect your opinion, but I disagree. It's a worthy argument to have nonetheless.
@PeterUbers I am on board with this comment, thank you.

Well I am also an ME and specialize in Hydraulic machines with industrial diesel engines.
These babies can last forever again if properly maintained as they are designed too.

And yes crap breaks but should not be early in a life cycle otherwise the $$ does not make sense.
So would MB put up with the lifespan some of these engines get on their production line?

HELL NO - auto manufacturers are looking for a quality rate of 99.999% if not better - so 1 part in 100,000 that is 1 part not entire car.

HOW MANY ON HERE have engine troubles?
1 is too many but that would be ok to read.
but when every page has major failure of something engine or crappy air ride and it is ok to owners?
Arggggggggg

MB is now a rental car company (leasing) and that is all they care about 3 yrs life and they control the mileage to be low for resale to a public who is about to get hammered on repairs.

Yeah everyone has different experience and perspective but to me a car is a tool or machine and should have value and not fail so early if it cost so dayum much.
WTH is the expensive price for if not quality which is not there?
DO not say tech as all the other manufacturers have about the same safety stuff and it tends to work better and all the time unlike MB

I knock on wood everyday mine has not failed yet.
MOre nervous with this car then the volvo or 175K truck

My point; go read other car orums for other cars and manufacturers and you do not read much about major costly failures
That is a sign of CRAP engineering in my book.

Also people DO NOT EXCEPT A failed engine as normal. they get pissed and scream.
That is what gets me yall think this is ok to shell out $65K for a new engine - but wait the Extended warranty I over paid for will cover it.
Again CRAZY!

Now I love my car for all the features but the reliability and part cost scares me to death and yeah I am thinking how to get out of it but there is a new/used car market issue right now.
@ygmn I agree with this view, thank you.

I understand the reactions of owners of an expensive, high priced item (watch, car, house, etc.) when the item is described as garbage. Some people may agree with the garbage assessment, and feel buyer's remorse and regret the purchase. Some people may resent the time, effort and energy it takes to deal with the problem caused by the garbage. Others don't care.

It's fair to say the reactions cover a spectrum. For every person that posts on this thread there are a multitude of other readers that do not post. Of those non-posting readers, I expect there is a wide variety of reactions to the various views posted. It's a bunch of people typing and reading stuff on the internet. It's all good. My own view is that MB designs and builds low quality high priced garbage, that is very nice to look at and, when running, is fun to drive.
Old 09-06-2021 | 10:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

@PeterUbers I am on board with this comment, thank you.

@ygmn I agree with this view, thank you.

I understand the reactions of owners of an expensive, high priced item (watch, car, house, etc.) when the item is described as garbage. Some people may agree with the garbage assessment, and feel buyer's remorse and regret the purchase. Some people may resent the time, effort and energy it takes to deal with the problem caused by the garbage. Others don't care.

It's fair to say the reactions cover a spectrum. For every person that posts on this thread there are a multitude of other readers that do not post. Of those non-posting readers, I expect there is a wide variety of reactions to the various views posted. It's a bunch of people typing and reading stuff on the internet. It's all good. My own view is that MB designs and builds low quality high priced garbage, that is very nice to look at and, when running, is fun to drive.
very well said.
Old 09-06-2021 | 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well,

My takeaway here is:

Who knew I had so many ME colleagues on this site?

😂😂😂😂

BTW

Lambos, Ferraris, and Rolls Royce motors do occasionally break. Again system level yield rate.

Oh, and MB offers a 7 year extended length warranty which a number of us here have. If they designed their stuff around a 3 year lease strategy, I wouldn’t think they would offer this.

Guys, you make it sound like 50% of motors are failing. Let’s keep things in perspective. We are still talking about a very small percentage. Remember that you only hear of these type of events in this forum. You are not hearing from the vast majority of owners without issues.

You guys have your opinions. So be it. Some of us have different opinions. It does seem strange though that on a site for enthusiasts there would be brand bashing. 🤔

And yes, I said I was out earlier. Now I’m done. Lol

Old 09-06-2021 | 12:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Vrodman
Well,

My takeaway here is:

Who knew I had so many ME colleagues on this site?

😂😂😂😂

BTW

Lambos, Ferraris, and Rolls Royce motors do occasionally break. Again system level yield rate.

Oh, and MB offers a 7 year extended length warranty which a number of us here have. If they designed their stuff around a 3 year lease strategy, I wouldn’t think they would offer this.

Guys, you make it sound like 50% of motors are failing. Let’s keep things in perspective. We are still talking about a very small percentage. Remember that you only hear of these type of events in this forum. You are not hearing from the vast majority of owners without issues.

You guys have your opinions. So be it. Some of us have different opinions. It does seem strange though that on a site for enthusiasts there would be brand bashing. 🤔

And yes, I said I was out earlier. Now I’m done. Lol
I agree on your points all around - the bias on these forums are people in love with the marque and those scorned by the marque and perhaps need to exhaust their dissatisfaction in threads as part of a therapeutic exercise.

either way I'm always up for a good debate. Thanks to all participating but especially VROD who has navigated me among only a few others on my tuning journey.
Old 09-06-2021 | 01:24 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I consider myself a car enthusiast. I want to be an MB enthusiast but find myself not able to, because of poor medium-long term reliability. Shockingly poor, in fact.

I will never say never, but it's unlikely I will buy another MB because of their atrociously poor reliability, and dealer network which matches the product reliability. My dealer experience has been that they are nearly all atrociously poor. One exception of MB of Tucson, they seem decent. Probably other owners think MB Tucson is a bunch of *****.

Porsche, Audi and BMW are my target brands for the next vehicle. If MB has a reawakening and fixes the V167 GLE somehow (unlikely), I would consider it.

The current GLE looks nice and is the size vehicle my household requires. It's a pile of garbage, however, because of the 48V system and other issues the platform was born with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 E63 Wagon - Unmodified Engine Failure at 42K