Sponsored by:

Stalling issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 E63S
Stalling issue

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 2016 E63S with 95K miles. I initially changed all fluids, oil, trans. rad.

About 2 weeks after that, I bought Weistec ECU stage 1 flash with their intake and colder plugs. I flashed the ECU and went to a very good Merc , mechanic to have the plugs installed. I told the mechanic to gap them per Weistec instructions .024.

Everything was okay for a couple of days then went for a drive one day not far maybe 2 miles. I got in ( Cold start ) was fine then arrive at my destination (2 miles ) later shut the car off was inside for maybe 10 mins. Got back in to start it and it stalled. I tried to start it again and it started and stayed started. I am not getting any ECU codes in the dash.

A couple of days later it did the same thing. The engine was hot, started then shut start again and it stalled. Seems like it doesn't happen on cold starts. I don't think the plugs are gapped too far apart .024 vs..028. I made sure he seated the plugs the right way too. Not to over-torque them.

I always put 93 in the car and go to Shell most of the time. I did not get a chance to bring it back to the mechanic cause I work overseas and had to leave.
The only thing I'm thinking that can cause this is the crank position sensor (s). I also flashed the car back to stock and it still stalled. Is anyone familiar with how many of these sensors we have? I think it's 2 near the oil fill cap.

Besides that the car is amazing. I was totally blown away when I saw how many miles it had and the condition it was in.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by franticRX-7; 09-30-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:49 AM
BCP

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
2014 E63s
How old are the batteries? Those are camshaft position sensors near the oil fill and the same for the other side - 4 in total.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:00 AM

2016 E63S
My mistake yes you're right camshaft. I read that sometimes oil can get caught up in them and go bad or get dirty. The main battery is good ( 6 months ) but the AUX I didn't check. One thing that is weird is that the lane assist, blind spot, lane departure doesn't work and I was thinking that the AUX battery was getting low. The start-stop function does not work either. Another weird thing is that both of my side mirrors do not have the triangle on them so I'm thinking that the car doesn't even have that option it's not like it doesn't work I can't even see it. Usually, when it has it you can see the shadow ( triangle in the mirror ) the car had a clean carfax with no accidents.

But I'm thinking that a low aux batt. will not cause it to stall once the engine is warmed up.

Last edited by franticRX-7; 09-30-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:19 AM
BCP

2014 E63s
Originally Posted by franticRX-7
My mistake yes you're right camshaft. I read that sometimes oil can get caught up in them and go bad or get dirty. The main battery is good ( 6 months ) but the AUX I didn't check. One thing that is weird is that the lane assist, blind spot, lane departure doesn't work and I was thinking that the AUX battery was getting low. The start-stop function does not work either. Another weird thing is that both of my side mirrors do not have the triangle on them so I'm thinking that the car doesn't even have that option it's not like it doesn't work I can't even see it. Usually, when it has it you can see the shadow ( triangle in the mirror ) the car had a clean carfax with no accidents.

But I'm thinking that a low aux batt. will not cause it to stall once the engine is warmed up.
You can unplug the cam position sensor harness and check for oil seepage - ive not heard of that causing the car to stall but it is known to cause misfires.

Replacing the aux battery is good start and likely why the listed functions arent working. My car was doing something similar with regard to stalling and it went away after replacing my main battery, and the previously non-working eco stop/start began working again (not that i use it). You can check the VIN on sites like www.lastvin.com to see what options your car has if you arent sure.

Last edited by BCP; 09-30-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:26 AM

2016 E63S
Okay, thanks. When I get back home I will check the sensors. Where are the other 2 located? When I get back I will just replace both batteries. And thanks for the website.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:37 AM
BCP

2014 E63s
Originally Posted by franticRX-7
Okay, thanks. When I get back home I will check the sensors. Where are the other 2 located? When I get back I will just replace both batteries. And thanks for the website.
The other two are in the same spot but the other cylinder head.
The following users liked this post:
franticRX-7 (09-30-2021)