Sponsored by:

Installed 12.5" Android 11 monitor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 08:11 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
993 cab, 2014 E63 AMG 4matic T
Installed 12.5" Android 11 monitor

Out with the old, in with the 12.5". I researched and youtube'd a lot before buying this thing. Was a bit scared, taking the trim pieces of the dash, glove box and center controls but it went pretty smoothly.
Had some issues with the comand knob coding but the "roadtop" seller had great support. The Z-link app was an old version so Android Auto didn't connect. Software upgrade helped to get it work.
The biggest issue was the routing of the AMI adapter to the center console. Literally all covers under the NTG unit had to come off.
Now that it's installed, I'm pretty happy with the way it looks and feels. The adjustment possibilities are endless.
I also downloaded the AMG boot logo, thought it's appropriate for this kind of car. All steering wheel buttons and comand knob work as if it's from MB.
2 drawbacks though, this system is useless w/o your connected cell phone. WIFI won't work well together with Android Auto. I have yet to discover the data usage on longer trips.
Here are a couple install pics. I know, many of you have done this upgrade already but I didn't find much reference to the Android 11 monitor.

The following users liked this post:
Blade Canyon (12-14-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 12:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 Audi S4 & 2008 E63 AMG
Looks great. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Rob.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E63 RWD
Originally Posted by EckFe1
2 drawbacks though, this system is useless w/o your connected cell phone. WIFI won't work well together with Android Auto.

I have found it to be better without connecting it to the phone, treat it as a tablet. which in the end.. is what it is.

enable hotspot on your phone, config it on your HU and the unit will autoconnect to your phone every time you get on your car.

downloads google maps or waze, config it as your navigation..
spotify or youtube music, config as your primary "music" app
download youtube.

I always drive with youtube half screened with google maps. you cant do that with android auto.

some people have even netflix on the thing, but that requires some apk knowledge that I have not been interested enough to learn.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:11 PM

Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts
E63S
Does the screen not fit under the original screen hood? Just sits in front of it, like it was sticky-taped to it? Are there gaps on the side?

I like the idea of replacing the screen with something modern, but don't like the seemingly afterthought of the screen placement.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:20 PM

2014 E63 RWD
Originally Posted by AngryScotsman
Does the screen not fit under the original screen hood? Just sits in front of it, like it was sticky-taped to it? Are there gaps on the side?

I like the idea of replacing the screen with something modern, but don't like the seemingly afterthought of the screen placement.

it comes with a plastic bezel that will mount it on a "OEM" manner.. looks better than the regular mercedes that came with the screen flying on the dash.

everyone that has got on the car thinks is stock and ask how can they install maps on their MB haha
AngryScotsman (12-14-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 09:53 PM

Received 156 Likes on 110 Posts
2016 E63s
Looks great - start up the car and try to make the midnight show...
Old 12-13-2021, 11:32 PM

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
Looks good.

Odd question, but do you have a pict of the far left of the dash (with the trim piece removed) just above the key?

Trying to figure out why that trim piece seems loose on my car.

Old 12-14-2021, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by LICG

downloads google maps or waze, config it as your navigation..
spotify or youtube music, config as your primary "music" app
Hello LICG,
Interesting thought, how do I configure different apps to the base menu? When I click on navigation, I have google maps coming up. I installed a waze type software with an overlay so this works well with maps.
Clicking on the music icon gives me my usb stick, automatically. Don't know how to configure this differently.
Would appreciate some support. I've never seen a operators manual for this kind of set up.
@ Thesaintusa, sorry, I didn't take the far left trim piece off but I'm sure it's clipped together, just like the other trim pieces.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:52 AM

2014 E63 RWD
Originally Posted by EckFe1
Hello LICG,
Interesting thought, how do I configure different apps to the base menu? When I click on navigation, I have google maps coming up. I installed a waze type software with an overlay so this works well with maps.
Clicking on the music icon gives me my usb stick, automatically. Don't know how to configure this differently.
Would appreciate some support. I've never seen a operators manual for this kind of set up.
@ Thesaintusa, sorry, I didn't take the far left trim piece off but I'm sure it's clipped together, just like the other trim pieces.
I don't know how long will this be up, but if you have any more questions just PM me and I will share my limited knowledge about it / 2018 is the password for mine, which is A10.. yours may be different, but you should have got it on the "manual" they include.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:55 PM

Thanks so much for your instructions. Looking at it from my phone, factory menu code, scroll all the way down from the top menu on the left side.
I'll try that the next time I get into the car.
I asked my Chinese seller for a operator's manual.
Let's see if they respond.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-Class W212 (2014)
Hi! Did you notice any difference in the quality of the car’s microphone?

I installed this on my W212 but people complain that they barely hear me, that my voice is “boxed” and distant.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:35 AM

It's working just fine for me. Did you install the AUX cable in the center console? Maybe that's the reason for your issue.
I had other issues with the mounting of the big monitor. I do a lot of high speed driving and noticed some bad road monitor vibrations, shaking slightly up and down.
So I took the mounting bracket out again and hot glued 1/8 rigid plastic reinforcements around all corners and surfaces. I also fabbed a third mount
towards the bottom of the holder, creating 3 mounting points instead of 2. That solved it.
robban99d (05-18-2022)