W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Reading - Engine Running Hot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63S
Spark Plug Reading - Engine Running Hot?

Hi all,

I have a C218 CLS63 AMG S with about 31k miles. I installed new spark plugs today and based on how to old plugs look, it seems like the engine is running hot, but the car is completely stock and the cooling system seems fine, so I have no idea what would cause the overheating. I've attached some pictures. What do y'all think? Is this normal?

Old 02-21-2022, 06:37 AM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/a2ozeyy/

Regardless of mileage, these engines do run pretty hot. It's not unfathomable that you could have a failing gasket(s) causing the car to lean out a bit. Vacuum leak test and a smoke test wouldn't hurt.

Other than that, how sure are you the ecu was not tuned? I ask as I had a similar issue, buying a car that was supposedly dead stock to find out it had an ecutune from an unknown source.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:15 AM

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Alfa 159
I would say those plugs are acceptable for the miles covered.....no really serious signs of overheating on them.

Last edited by ALFAitalia; 02-22-2022 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63S
Originally Posted by WANTED!!
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/a2ozeyy/

Regardless of mileage, these engines do run pretty hot. It's not unfathomable that you could have a failing gasket(s) causing the car to lean out a bit. Vacuum leak test and a smoke test wouldn't hurt.

Other than that, how sure are you the ecu was not tuned? I ask as I had a similar issue, buying a car that was supposedly dead stock to find out it had an ecutune from an unknown source.
I was wondering if the previous owner had a tune on the car. I took the car for a pre-purchase inspection, and at that time, the tech was saying how it was weird, because the car threw up a ton of errors that he had to clear out. Those error messages never came back, but I had my suspicions that it could have been due to a tune. However, I also thought it could have been because of a dead battery, since the car had very low mileage, and it was clear that the battery had been replaced. Is there a way to find out for sure if the car was tuned?
Old 02-21-2022, 01:34 PM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
Originally Posted by tasteslikecrab
I was wondering if the previous owner had a tune on the car. I took the car for a pre-purchase inspection, and at that time, the tech was saying how it was weird, because the car threw up a ton of errors that he had to clear out. Those error messages never came back, but I had my suspicions that it could have been due to a tune. However, I also thought it could have been because of a dead battery, since the car had very low mileage, and it was clear that the battery had been replaced. Is there a way to find out for sure if the car was tuned?

Loaded question. You can check the ecu itself to see if it happened to be marked or labeled as a potential indicator. However, now that we're not just limited to bench tuning, it's a little harder to tell without downloading the contents of the ecu and comparing to a stock cal file.

The dealership "could" but going down that road could potentially affect a warranty if that's important to you. Not all dealerships are mod friendly with some "flagging" modified/altered vehicles for any sort of warranty work short of recalls. Depends on your relationship with the dealership.

Otherwise, you'd need to reach out to a shop that offers tuning services to discuss options and willingness to check your ecu.