W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic Questions-straight answers needed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 10:21 AM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Basic Questions-straight answers needed!

Noob to E63 world here, not my first Mercedes, and I've been building cars for years, so I'm not unfamiliar with aftermarket. But I do have some questions, because I just want to do things right the first time! I'm not planning on doing a lot to this car, my "crazy modding" days are far behind me at this point. First and foremost, I have a 2016 E63 S, I want to lower the car, strictly for appearances. I won't track it, so I'm not looking for a $$$$ coil over system or anything. The HR Springs and rear links would be just fine, but the question is does this affect my active suspension dampening? I read some posts that says it does and other say it doesn't. Just curious here, last thing I want to do is unintentionally disable systems that make this car so much fun. Secondly. Spacers... I like the idea of pushing the wheels out just a bit to match up to the fender. Again, I think I read 4 different posts yesterday concerning spacers and now I'm THOROUGHLY confused. I'm running a set of HRE's but they are at factory spec (I believe, they were on the car when I purchased), staggered with 265 up front and 285 out back. So advice on spacers? What mil spec for front and rear to get that nice flush look. I have brake questions as well, but my god that is the MOST confusing thing on these cars!!!! So I'll save that for a different post. lol Thanks in advance for any answers!
Old 04-21-2022, 01:51 PM

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
2014 E63S
The H&R Springs and lowering links won't affect the dampening system as it's really just adjusting the rear air bags anyways, but there's been alot of people who notice the cars bottoms out with the H&R springs after awhile. My advice would be to go with the KW HAS Kit (I have this kit installed on my car) gives the lowered look but still drives very well on less than ideal roads.

As far as spacers go, there's a post here with guys and gals sharing their wheel specs with spacers. Find a setup you like and go for it.
The following 3 users liked this post by The1stWright:
BCP (04-22-2022), cotmfk (04-22-2022), I.T. Guy (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 620 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
My KW just came in! I can go pick it it up as soon as I have time.
So,
Never.

LOL

I've heard nothing but good things about KW HAS kit, but have read here some HR people return to stock because they did not like the ride. I have no personal experience yet except a shiny new thing waiting to be installed.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by JEC_E63S
Noob to E63 world here, not my first Mercedes, and I've been building cars for years, so I'm not unfamiliar with aftermarket. But I do have some questions, because I just want to do things right the first time! I'm not planning on doing a lot to this car, my "crazy modding" days are far behind me at this point. First and foremost, I have a 2016 E63 S, I want to lower the car, strictly for appearances. I won't track it, so I'm not looking for a $$$$ coil over system or anything. The HR Springs and rear links would be just fine, but the question is does this affect my active suspension dampening? I read some posts that says it does and other say it doesn't. Just curious here, last thing I want to do is unintentionally disable systems that make this car so much fun. Secondly. Spacers... I like the idea of pushing the wheels out just a bit to match up to the fender. Again, I think I read 4 different posts yesterday concerning spacers and now I'm THOROUGHLY confused. I'm running a set of HRE's but they are at factory spec (I believe, they were on the car when I purchased), staggered with 265 up front and 285 out back. So advice on spacers? What mil spec for front and rear to get that nice flush look. I have brake questions as well, but my god that is the MOST confusing thing on these cars!!!! So I'll save that for a different post. lol Thanks in advance for any answers!
congrats and drive it in good health ... check out the sticky. I just did full brake job for my MY14 for $1400 otd
The following users liked this post:
BCP (04-22-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 222 Posts
E63S
As stated by IT GUY, a few members have reported ditching their H&R Springs and going for either KW HAS or returning to stock. If you have been building cars for years, I am sure you are no stranger to lowering springs settling. It happens to HAS as well, but, you'll have to option to adjust your ride height (within reason).
Your tire set up is not stock. OE front would be 225/35/19. OE Offsets would be 37F and 52R. Members have gone 10mmF and 15mmR. Be careful ordering spacers for the H&R 10mm for the rear do not fit the front if we are talking hub centric.
Old 04-22-2022, 12:01 PM

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts
On the shoulder
Another supporter of the KW HAS here.
Old 04-22-2022, 12:29 PM
BCP

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
2014 E63s
KW HAS gets my recommendation as well - great ride and handling, and I appreciate the ability to set ride height to personal preference. Many with the H&R springs are surprised at how low the front sits after seeing they are specified to lower .75", and they do make the ride rougher. My only grip with the KW kit was the inclusion of plastic rear adjusters - for the cost, they could have at least made them metal. Nothing that can be easily remedied, but would be nice if they included something that seemed quality there.
Old 04-24-2022, 01:49 PM

Received 608 Likes on 273 Posts
poop
lowering can affect your headlight base level
H&r cheap, i dont mind the ride, but roads are smooth here. my complaint is the ride height. its way to low. expect a 2.5'' drop. next time KW