W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Low Coolant" Engine Protection Mode?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 07:06 AM

Received 237 Likes on 178 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
"Low Coolant" Engine Protection Mode?????

Yesterday AM was the first time in the car with cooler temps (40's). Getting into the car I had "Low Coolant", something I am used to this time of year with the temp changes....so I pretty much said ignore and did ignore it.

The car never came up to temperature and the turbos seemed not to work properly...for 300miles (too early to stop at an auto store, run codes and clear em). Getting home I plugged in my Mercedes comptuer and found four codes, all four were coolant related. I added about 1/4 cup (back in warmth) of coolant, reset the car and then the temps were spot on and turbo's were spot on....

My theory is the car entered a kind of limp mode due to the cooling codes being in the system and did not want to get warmer until the codes were cleared...can anyone confirm this behavior of the electronics in the engine????

Old 11-14-2022, 04:09 PM

Received 156 Likes on 110 Posts
2016 E63s
I had a cracked reservoir and lost a good amount of fluid triggering the low coolant warning. IC reservoir was also a little low when I checked.

Engine oil and coolant temps were able to come up into the 210-220F even with the warnings.
Old 11-14-2022, 05:06 PM

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Yeah the only thing I can think of that could prevent full warmup would be a thermostat stuck open, or you had a bad reading wherever the temp gauge pickup sensor is, both potentially can be caused by an air pocket which can happen w/ low coolant. Keep an eye on it, but if you aren't smelling coolant or seeing steam or keep losing coolant, I wouldn't worry too much.