Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Fan Question - E63s

Hey Guys,

Been dealing with coolant puking and venting at my expansion tank cap for awhile when running my E50 tune. No issue with stock tune. I am working on a design to solve this and am very close. I will post a detailed DIY thread after all my testing is complete.

But today it occurred to me that I never hear my fan come on, like I used to, after hot days or hard pulls when I park and shutoff the engine. Hmmm
As I recall it used to always come on at high speed after she was pretty hot and then parked or sat in very slow traffic.

The fan does run when engine runs, but never after I shut her down.

Anyone know of fan issues, or how to test the fan for the parked cooling? I believe it used to kick on and stay on high speed for roughly a couple of minutes after shutting her off. Now nothing.

Has me thinking maybe this is related to my coolant venting issue as well.

There are a number of us that have aggressive tunes that experience the coolant venting at varying degrees. Again, working on that too. But it seems like my venting is worse than most.

Already replaced reservoir/expansion tank cap more than once.

it is not a leaking tank. That was replaced too.

It is not a head gasket. That was easily ruled out.

I really need to understand the conditions that are designed to kick that fan on when parked.

I had water pump replaced by dealer about 6 months ago. Wondering if they screwed up a fan cable or connection.

Are our fans fully electric? Or a hybrid of mechanically clutched fan (for when engine is running) and auxiliary electric for after park, or sitting in traffic?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-11-2023, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by Vrodman
Hey Guys,

Been dealing with coolant puking and venting at my expansion tank cap for awhile when running my E50 tune. No issue with stock tune. I am working on a design to solve this and am very close. I will post a detailed DIY thread after all my testing is complete.

But today it occurred to me that I never hear my fan come on, like I used to, after hot days or hard pulls when I park and shutoff the engine. Hmmm
As I recall it used to always come on at high speed after she was pretty hot and then parked or sat in very slow traffic.

The fan does run when engine runs, but never after I shut her down.

Anyone know of fan issues, or how to test the fan for the parked cooling? I believe it used to kick on and stay on high speed for roughly a couple of minutes after shutting her off. Now nothing.

Has me thinking maybe this is related to my coolant venting issue as well.

There are a number of us that have aggressive tunes that experience the coolant venting at varying degrees. Again, working on that too. But it seems like my venting is worse than most.

Already replaced reservoir/expansion tank cap more than once.

it is not a leaking tank. That was replaced too.

It is not a head gasket. That was easily ruled out.

I really need to understand the conditions that are designed to kick that fan on when parked.

I had water pump replaced by dealer about 6 months ago. Wondering if they screwed up a fan cable or connection.

Are our fans fully electric? Or a hybrid of mechanically clutched fan (for when engine is running) and auxiliary electric for after park, or sitting in traffic?

Thanks in advance!
Forget about the fan “hybrid” question. My bad. Lol. Can’t have a clutching mechanical drive without a belt attached.

So now I just need to know what triggers the higher speed fan in heavy traffic and after parked. She certainly seems to be getting hot enough at 226 oil temp.