W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Low Coolant warning and a leak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2023 | 08:11 PM

2014 E63 AMG S-Model
Low Coolant warning and a leak?

Hi Folks:

I got the "check coolant level see operators manual" message on Monday. So I did, and indeed it was low. I picked up a gallon of Zerex G40 and filled it back up as instructed. But, I have a couple questions:

The fluid that was in the car was green, the stuff I put in was pink. It meets the MB spec for coolant. But is there a particular color that should be in the car? Any issue with mixing like this?

And while having the hood up, i noticed these stains on some hoses:

Any idea what that is? It sure looks like coolant, but there is no coolant odor, nor is there any evidence of wetness in the engine compartment or on the ground. What is about to fail?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 06-22-2023 | 12:50 AM

993 cab, 2014 E63 AMG 4matic T
Looks like the classic failure of the coolant reservoir.
Had the same issue a couple of years back.
Old 07-01-2023 | 12:05 PM

07 C230 (sold) 2009 E63 AMG (SOLD), 2015 E 63 AMG S
Originally Posted by JimFE
Hi Folks:

I got the "check coolant level see operators manual" message on Monday. So I did, and indeed it was low. I picked up a gallon of Zerex G40 and filled it back up as instructed. But, I have a couple questions:

The fluid that was in the car was green, the stuff I put in was pink. It meets the MB spec for coolant. But is there a particular color that should be in the car? Any issue with mixing like this?

And while having the hood up, i noticed these stains on some hoses:

Any idea what that is? It sure looks like coolant, but there is no coolant odor, nor is there any evidence of wetness in the engine compartment or on the ground. What is about to fail?

Thanks,

Jim
I had the same issue happen to me yesterday. Except my coolant was noticeably leaking more than yours. I will be taking it to my Indy on Monday for further review. Seems to be a common issue. Let me know your findings.