W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Downpipes+Tune Atlanta Metro emissions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2023 | 11:39 AM

2017 GLS 550
Downpipes+Tune Atlanta Metro emissions?

Hey all,
Thinking of doing doing downpipes and a tune that cancels out the CEL. I sold my E55 before I moved here from FL because of the LT Headers, because I was worried about emissions. I live in the northern ATL suburbs, wanted to see if anyone has had success with passing emissions... I have been informed of a few tuner friendly emissions testing facilities, but the car still has to pass the OBD tests.
Suggestions on what Downpipes to get, and will an off the shelf tune, like Eurocharged Stage 2 or RennTech work?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2023 | 12:37 PM

2019 GLE43 SUV
I also like in the north ATL area. I want to do catless downpipes and also pass emissions. Is the performance gain really worth the money? It looks like you can get O2 sensors that return normal readings to the ECU.
Old 10-23-2023 | 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
Based on reading posts on this forum, DPs would yield no more than 15HP on a Tuned W212 E63 SAMG; and that's catless. There's a thread on this forum that lists available mods. for our platform by, basically, "Bang for your buck"... and DPs sit pretty much at the bottom.
@Scott Minor... you might be referring to "O2 Sensor Spacers". Also read threads regarding this. Very inconsistent results with spacers. Someone also mentioned install is a PITA (on passenger side if my memory serves me right) since there is trial and error (they are made in different shapes and sizes).
Old 10-23-2023 | 11:22 PM

2017 GLS 550
Well that was helpful... I would have thought decat'g with better flowing downpipes with a stage 2 tune would yield a lot more power. are the existing cats not very restrictive? I know my buddy with an AMG GT-S saw a big power difference when he put down pipes on the M178. Thanks for helping me save money!
Old 10-24-2023 | 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
BEST MODS // BANG FOR BUCK:

Keep in mind what I posted is solely based on what I have read on this forum. Not personal experience. I am sure there will be people that saw more than 15HP with Catless pipes. The stock exhaust is supposedly pretty much unobstructed save the cats (based on video posted on Youtube by forum member).