Sponsored by:

Supercharged 2010 E63 (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 02:53 AM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
Originally Posted by Borahatch
So I’ve run into an issue. The car currently won’t stay running. Starts with no issue and then dies out. We took it for about a 2.5 hour drive and it was completely fine. Came home and all the temps and pressures were fine.

I took it out a couple hours later and it was business as usual. Roughly two hours after that, I started it up in my garage and it was perfect. I put it in neutral and gave it a few revs (I’ve done this a bunch of times) and it seemed fine. On the final rev as it came down to idle, it stalled out.

I started it again and it died right after it fired. This was repeated about 2 more times. I grabbed my scanner and plugged it in. I started it and gave it some gas to keep it running and it ran long enough to finally trigger a flashing check engine light.

I’m getting a misfire on 8 and 6. I tore into a bit. I pulled all the coils and plugs from that bank and stuck my inspection camera in each cylinder. Each cylinder looks exactly the same. As do the plugs.

I initially thought maybe the injectors are stuck open. But they are brand new and have 900 miles on them. Plus, I’d expect to find fuel in the cylinders which I didn’t see. Anyhow, I moved all the coils and plugs around to see if that made any difference and it did not. I ran the car again and the only difference was now I’m getting a misfire on #5. So same bank.

I went to the other bank and pulled all those coils and plugs. I inspected those cylinders and they all basically looked the same as the other side. The oil is good, the battery is fully charged, and the coolant level is fine (hasn’t moved since doing all this work).

At first I thought it threw a belt but that is perfect as well. This a strange one. Any thoughts? Before I throw a bunch of parts at it or waste time tearing into it only to find a broken part that is above my pay grade, I may just have it towed to a local speed shop to see what they say. I’m hoping it’s something dump and easy.
Check your fuel pumps and fuel pressure. Also, check for massive vacuum leaks. Only other thing I can think of if those check out is your exhaust and cats to ensure they aren't clogged.
Old 05-13-2024, 02:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
W212 PFL E63 (Weistec SC), F-350 King Ranch 6.7 HO, Yukon Denali, Honda Civic
Originally Posted by WANTED!!
Check your fuel pumps and fuel pressure. Also, check for massive vacuum leaks. Only other thing I can think of if those check out is your exhaust and cats to ensure they aren't clogged.
That’s certainly helpful, thanks. A crazy vacuum leak makes sense. The fuel pump and filter are originals (most likely) so I’m due for those anyway. I’ll definitely report back after looking into it this Friday.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:11 PM

FIXED!

Originally Posted by WANTED!!
Thanks for giving me a moment of clarity. I checked the back of the supercharger where a bunch of lines get plugged in and I found the smoking gun...

After taking the throttle body off, I could see the intake temp sensor had blown out resulting in a massive vacuum leak on that bank.

You can see where it is supposed to plug into. When I initially did the install, I do remember thinking this might be an issue as there was no adaptor plate provided to screw this sensor into the block of the SC.

After a quick trip to the auto store for some high temp automotive adhesive, we're right as rain. Car runs great. I did get a small tool kit with a bunch of tools to make roadside repairs if I'm far from home

Anyway, thanks again for the help! 90 more miles and my 1,000 mile post-build break in will be complete. All the fluids will be dumped along with all the filters. After that, time to start shopping for wheels and brakes.
The following users liked this post:
latinskllz (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 05:53 PM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
Thanks for giving me a moment of clarity. I checked the back of the supercharger where a bunch of lines get plugged in and I found the smoking gun...

After taking the throttle body off, I could see the intake temp sensor had blown out resulting in a massive vacuum leak on that bank.

You can see where it is supposed to plug into. When I initially did the install, I do remember thinking this might be an issue as there was no adaptor plate provided to screw this sensor into the block of the SC.

After a quick trip to the auto store for some high temp automotive adhesive, we're right as rain. Car runs great. I did get a small tool kit with a bunch of tools to make roadside repairs if I'm far from home

Anyway, thanks again for the help! 90 more miles and my 1,000 mile post-build break in will be complete. All the fluids will be dumped along with all the filters. After that, time to start shopping for wheels and brakes.
No problem. Glad you got it sorted.
Old 06-06-2024, 11:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Audi A4, 2017 Audi Q7
Great build. I’ve been dying to pull the trigger on a kit but I just put an addition on my house and chewed up all my money for play stuff. There will eventually be a blower on my car.

Keep us updated if you Dyno the car
Old 06-06-2024, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by cstanley92
Great build. I’ve been dying to pull the trigger on a kit but I just put an addition on my house and chewed up all my money for play stuff. There will eventually be a blower on my car.

Keep us updated if you Dyno the car
Thank you, sir. Trust me, I know how house stuff goes. I bought this car nearly two years ago and that's how long it took for other things to stop getting in the way financially haha. When you're ready, look into the VRP/Whipple setup. They are putting down some very good numbers. I believe I might be able to achieve the same with the Weistec Stage 2 and 3. Either way, it's good to have options.
Old 06-06-2024, 09:18 PM

Thank you, sir. Trust me, I know how house stuff goes. I bought this car nearly two years ago and that's how long it took for other things to stop getting in the way financially haha. When you're ready, look into the VRP/Whipple setup. They are putting down some very good numbers. I believe I might be able to achieve the same with the Weistec Stage 2 and 3. Either way, it's good to have options.
I know!!! I’ve been following the white E63 VRP that is on here too. Man that’s a nice set up. I did some rough pricing for what I would do and it’s looking like around $16K for the system with some extra goodies. I have 50k mile P2 car that is immaculate. I purchased it 7 years ago with 13k miles on it. Really needs boost. Haha
Old 06-07-2024, 12:59 AM

I know!!! I’ve been following the white E63 VRP that is on here too. Man that’s a nice set up. I did some rough pricing for what I would do and it’s looking like around $16K for the system with some extra goodies. I have 50k mile P2 car that is immaculate. I purchased it 7 years ago with 13k miles on it. Really needs boost. Haha
Is it the white E63 from Modern Masters? That’s an incredibly sick build if we’re talking about the same one. $16k sounds about right. I’d have to gather all my receipts but I think I’m right at or just above that number for everything up to this point.

I’m getting a quote from Weistec for wheels as we speak. Once those are in, 390/360 brake rotors will be on order. It never ends!

Throw some pics of your car up! 50k miles is mint. Which kit would you go with and what supporting mods would you add?
Old 06-07-2024, 08:14 AM

Is it the white E63 from Modern Masters? That’s an incredibly sick build if we’re talking about the same one. $16k sounds about right. I’d have to gather all my receipts but I think I’m right at or just above that number for everything up to this point.

I’m getting a quote from Weistec for wheels as we speak. Once those are in, 390/360 brake rotors will be on order. It never ends!

Throw some pics of your car up! 50k miles is mint. Which kit would you go with and what supporting mods would you add?
basically just all the top level pieces to the kit. Larger injectors, throttle bodies, the air to water kit. You definitely gave me some things to think about for forced induction parts for the motor. With a fairly low mile car I wasn’t planning to do any big motor mods. But I’ll probably start to stock pile them for the build.

here is my biscuit

Old 06-07-2024, 12:18 PM

basically just all the top level pieces to the kit. Larger injectors, throttle bodies, the air to water kit. You definitely gave me some things to think about for forced induction parts for the motor. With a fairly low mile car I wasn’t planning to do any big motor mods. But I’ll probably start to stock pile them for the build.

here is my biscuit
Love the color! I wish I had (or could find) the factory 19's. They look so good. Buying parts slowly definitely made it an easier pill to swallow in terms of cost. The nice thing about the M156 is once you sort the big 3 problems, you have an awesome platform that should be pretty trouble-free. Once you dive in, let me know. I can assist with the finer (more annoying) parts of the install that the instructions gloss over.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:54 PM

Love the color! I wish I had (or could find) the factory 19's. They look so good. Buying parts slowly definitely made it an easier pill to swallow in terms of cost. The nice thing about the M156 is once you sort the big 3 problems, you have an awesome platform that should be pretty trouble-free. Once you dive in, let me know. I can assist with the finer (more annoying) parts of the install that the instructions gloss over.
I searched for a long time for a unique color and found this one. I’m glad I was able to get it with the 19’s. Although my wife curbed one and trying to find a replacement is almost impossible. It’s just surface damage so I’ll just have it repaired but it is definitely not easy or cheap to find these. I’ll hit you up if the supercharger project comes to fruition. I appreciate it man and post up a video!!!
Old 06-14-2024, 10:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,391 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned

here is my biscuit
this blue and the red calipers .... mint
The following users liked this post:
cstanley92 (06-18-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 12:27 AM

I searched for a long time for a unique color and found this one. I’m glad I was able to get it with the 19’s. Although my wife curbed one and trying to find a replacement is almost impossible. It’s just surface damage so I’ll just have it repaired but it is definitely not easy or cheap to find these. I’ll hit you up if the supercharger project comes to fruition. I appreciate it man and post up a video!!!
You nailed it, man. I’ve seen that color exactly one time in person on a W212 and I about lost my mind trying to get a better look as it drove by.

I did some digging and found this site for OEM wheels:

https://www.originalwheels.com/merce...ss2010rims.php

I’ve had wheels repaired in the past and the damage was nearly 100% reversed. So you should be good.

My weistec TCU tune should be here tomorrow. Once I get that loaded up, I’ll try to get some videos to post up.