Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial Report - After 500 Miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2013 GL550
The iPhone 8 and upcoming X have wireless charging via Qi, no?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:18 PM

2013 GL550
I guess the natural grain wood options now offer matching center console and also keep the NFC charging?

How are the Performance Seats, comfort wise? My questions about the seats and Distronic are specific for my commute. I'm in the US and commute >100 miles a day during the week for work. Currently in a Model S as a daily and have found the Autopilot indispensable for my sanity... Have read that MB's Drivepilot is at least as good as Tesla's current iteration of Autopilot, which makes it a must have option for me.

At the same time, I prefer the bolstering of the Performance Seats--but of course have no experience as to their comfort over a long daily freeway commute.

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 Lunar Blue E63S
I sat in two E63s last Friday. One was black piano trim with the lines and it had NFC. The other was black ash wood and it did not have NFC! So, maybe only code 728 black piano gloss center console gets NFC. I saw no NFC on the Black ash model with my own eyes. Had an ashtray insert. (Unless maybe smoker option code was selected). All interiors get the same code 728 black piano console unless it is black or brown ash, or carbon fiber. Seems maybe only 728 gets NFC!

Originally Posted by E63guy
Yes it's important to note that some, but not all, interior trims have a matching center consoles; others remain gloss black. You can tell in the configurator if you look closely at the pix when selecting different trims.

And, also important to note that CF interior = no wireless charging. My rep couldn't explain why, but confirmed it to me.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:46 PM

2018 Lunar Blue E63S
See above regarding NFC. As for the seats, I found the standard seats to be very supportive with nice bolsters. The massage function can be ordered and it is exactly the same seat. Same bolsters. I would go for that unless tracking the car.

Originally Posted by X166
I guess the natural grain wood options now offer matching center console and also keep the NFC charging?

How are the Performance Seats, comfort wise? My questions about the seats and Distronic are specific for my commute. I'm in the US and commute >100 miles a day during the week for work. Currently in a Model S as a daily and have found the Autopilot indispensable for my sanity... Have read that MB's Drivepilot is at least as good as Tesla's current iteration of Autopilot, which makes it a must have option for me.

At the same time, I prefer the bolstering of the Performance Seats--but of course have no experience as to their comfort over a long daily freeway commute.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:48 PM

2013 GL550
Thanks, Audiodog. Won't be tracking the car...but are you saying that the Performance Seats will be uncomfortable for daily use?

Man...why on earth would NFC capability be tied to console trim material choice?!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:54 PM

2018 Lunar Blue E63S
Pic

i took this pic. You can't see the NFC pad, but trust me, it was not there..... instead, there was an ash tray insert not installed. You could see there was no pad since it was not pushed in.

Black ash center console with no NFC!
Thanks, Audiodog. Won't be tracking the car...but are you saying that the Performance Seats will be uncomfortable for daily use?

Man...why on earth would NFC capability be tied to console trim material choice?!
Old 10-18-2017, 07:01 PM

2018 Lunar Blue E63S
Pics of black piano car. Note nice bolstering of the massage seats. If I were driving long distances, these would be my pick. Very comfortable and nice deep bolsters. Not as deep as the performance, which I never sat in, but perfect for the street. And they massage.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts
2018 E63, 2008 SLR DH, 2011 599 SA, 1995 F50, 2007 through 2011 GT3 RS

Ive had my E63 for 500 Miles now. I also drive about 80 miles a day and the performance seats have been great. Very comfortable and soft where they need to be. Plus they snug you in nice and tight.
As far as the distronic I would say it is 80% of Tesla autopilot. Still some times where you really need to be there to make sure you don’t end up in a barrier or another car while cruising.

just my $0.02
The following users liked this post:
X166 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 11:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
GTR Pro

Only had the car two days but the performance seats are definitely going to be great for the track and spirited driving situations but for everyday driving and long distance they may be a bit stiff. When I ordered in May there was very limited info on either seat. In hindsight, I would have gotten standard seats with the massage!!! I'll probably track it once or twice but she's a DD and comfort would have been nicer over pure performance
Old 10-19-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
E 63 S Wagon
On the two seat choices...I drove an Edition 1 and found the performance seats wonderful but "too much" for a daily driver/touring car. I sat in, but didn't drive, the standard + massage seats, and they were "just right" for me.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Any other models with similar selection of seats for a test drive?
I got a call from my dealer when their Edition 1 and two other cars came in. Went and sat in both iteration of seats....the performance seats felt nice and snug even though I had plenty of room to move about. I can see how on a very very long day I might find it a slight bit annoying to wiggle past the bolsters. But I think it might be worthwhile though.... I would like to see how the normal seats do in turns cos the massage feature sounds cool too.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts
2018 E63, 2008 SLR DH, 2011 599 SA, 1995 F50, 2007 through 2011 GT3 RS
Originally Posted by kponti
Any other models with similar selection of seats for a test drive?
I got a call from my dealer when their Edition 1 and two other cars came in. Went and sat in both iteration of seats....the performance seats felt nice and snug even though I had plenty of room to move about. I can see how on a very very long day I might find it a slight bit annoying to wiggle past the bolsters. But I think it might be worthwhile though.... I would like to see how the normal seats do in turns cos the massage feature sounds cool too.
I had a C43 sedan with the performance seats which are about the same. Im sure your dealer will let you know an extended drive in one of those.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by Sylvainsm
I had a C43 sedan with the performance seats which are about the same. Im sure your dealer will let you know an extended drive in one of those.
I am more interested in the normal seats with massage in turns (not the base E300 seats). I know the base is similar seats but with as limited grip as it has, it has not been a good indicator of how well those seats hold you in. The car starts to slide before I can actually get pitched sideways in the seat