Sponsored by:

Doors won't stay open on incline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTR, Subaru Rally Car,Model X P100D
Doors won't stay open on incline

My doors will not stay open on an incline on the Edition 1. They come back at you and won't stay. Found this out when my wife tried to get out of the car in the driveway and her coffee spilled onto her when the door hit her. I've video recorded it and service is going to check it out next time I get back up there, but want some of you to check if your doors will stay open on an incline, specifically driver and passenger.

Thanks Ahead of time.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
2020 E63S4S
I'm having that issue on flat surfaces, if I push the door open with just a tad too much force the door comes back at me. I have to be cautious when opening the door, I didn't have this issue on my W212 E63. I can only imagine on an incline it'll be worse.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 2 '02 S600
I'm having that issue on flat surfaces, if I push the door open with just a tad too much force the door comes back at me. I have to be cautious when opening the door, I didn't have this issue on my W212 E63. I can only imagine on an incline it'll be worse.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GL63
Brian do you have any idea when your car hit US soil. None of us on the west coast have received an edition 1 as its still going through updates. I’ve heard one update isn’t even available yet. I’m curios if you guys on the easy coast who have received them (your not the only one I have read of taking delivery) got cars that were produced after March. I assumed all US edition 1s were run at the same time but maybe not.

QUOTE=Brian Clarke;7290015]Glad to hear I'm not the only one.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-19-2017, 10:13 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by tony_f8
Brian do you have any idea when your car hit US soil. None of us on the west coast have received an edition 1 as its still going through updates. I’ve heard one update isn’t even available yet. I’m curios if you guys on the easy coast who have received them (your not the only one I have read of taking delivery) got cars that were produced after March. I assumed all US edition 1s were run at the same time but maybe not.

QUOTE=Brian Clarke;7290015]Glad to hear I'm not the only one.
[/QUOTE]

I have a picture of my car sitting at the VPC since April but I was not allowed to share it. Since I have an Edition 1 and an AMG GTR on order I did jump a large priority line in the Baltimore VPC (or so I'd like to think).
Old 10-19-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE63
Originally Posted by tony_f8

QUOTE=Brian Clarke;7290015]Glad to hear I'm not the only one.
[/QUOTE]

I am on the West Coast too, and my Edition1 has been sitting at the Long Beach VPC since May. Now the date is 10/31 for release.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:54 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
I have a picture of my car sitting at the VPC since April but I was not allowed to share it. Since I have an Edition 1 and an AMG GTR on order I did jump a large priority line in the Baltimore VPC (or so I'd like to think).[/QUOTE]

Did my best... I annoy the crap outta the Distribution manager at Baltimore for you
Old 10-19-2017, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by susman@eurogermantown.com
I have a picture of my car sitting at the VPC since April but I was not allowed to share it. Since I have an Edition 1 and an AMG GTR on order I did jump a large priority line in the Baltimore VPC (or so I'd like to think).
Did my best... I annoy the crap outta the Distribution manager at Baltimore for you [/QUOTE]
Old 10-19-2017, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Those Door hinges are not good. I have the Same ones on my 2015 S550 I just bought this past summer when I traded in my 2012 E63 AMG wagon, Never had a issue like that on the old AMG. What they did was change the design of the hinges so they do not have the spring loaded Detents like they use to have, they just have friction stops which do not work very good. The place where the highest friction level takes place is when the door is fully wide open, so if you're on a incline or windy best off trying to open the door all the way and it's more likely to stay. Even that though is not enough and I find my doors closing on me a lot in the wind and inclines, it is frustration. The dealer told me they would change out the hinges for me but it would still do the same thing and it would not help. The driver door on my S class seems a little looser in the hinges than the rear doors or the passenger door, the service writer at the dealer told me they have a lot of complaints about these doors and there is not a lot they can do. You'd think for such an over engineered car they would just stuck with old style hinges, they have known since 2015 that these new hinges do not work right. The 2014 S550 which is essentially the same car as my S550 had the old style hinges, I believe 2015 was first year in use for these, crazy.

Yep, my car now sits at Baltimore VPC. Dunno when they are gonna load it on the car carrier and get it out to the dealer, dealer cannot tell me. I do know it cleared customs ok, so thats a good sign.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just got my car, the difference between the S I have and this AMG is the door hinges do have detents in the wide open position, so thats the trick you need to leave the doors open in the wide
open position for them to stay open while on a incline or with wind. I think mine will be ok, I was parked on a pretty steep uphill and the door held ok in the wide open position, any other position
and they would close on me.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Just got my car, the difference between the S I have and this AMG is the door hinges do have detents in the wide open position, so thats the trick you need to leave the doors open in the wide
open position for them to stay open while on a incline or with wind. I think mine will be ok, I was parked on a pretty steep uphill and the door held ok in the wide open position, any other position
and they would close on me.
My Edition 1 does not have detents that will NOT hold the door open. I have sent several videos to the dealer and when my GTR comes in I'll drop of my Edition 1 for them to resolve this. I have videos I'll post later.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C63S sedan
Originally Posted by Brian Clarke
My Edition 1 does not have detents that will NOT hold the door open. I have sent several videos to the dealer and when my GTR comes in I'll drop of my Edition 1 for them to resolve this. I have videos I'll post later.
Try pushing the door out as far out as it'll go. Not ideal but I found that it holds better on inclines vs. the closer steps where the door should stay open.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:42 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycb6o03lk2..._0652.mov?dl=0

Here's a link to the movie I made. You can see it clearly doesn't stay put.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycb6o03lk2..._0652.mov?dl=0

Here's a link to the movie I made. You can see it clearly doesn't stay put.
Ouch, that looks like a serious safety hazard for small children and dogs, etc.

Leave the door open to get one toddler out and the the others that mill around the open door get a finger crushed or worse.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by E634Me
Ouch, that looks like a serious safety hazard for small children and dogs, etc.

Leave the door open to get one toddler out and the the others that mill around the open door get a finger crushed or worse.
I was getting my kid out when my wife drove it for the first time and we came back with hot tea. She got tea spilled on her. She literally said "take this **** back". I'm trying not to have to do that.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thats the way they all are, your on a really steep inclined driveway there, my car will do the same thing. It's just the design of the hinges, that's what the dealer is going to tell you. They told
me that with my 2015 S550. They offered to change the hinges under warrantee but said it's just gonna do the same thing. You're simple solution would be when you park on a incline like
your driveway, back the car in, the doors will stay open for sure then. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's simply a bad design, I dunno why they designed them like this, for years and years
there have been many cars that the doors would stay open. It's a issue for me because I'm in a wheelchair and if I had no choice to park on a uphill incline it's impossible to get my wheelchair
out and put the wheels on it, I normally lean the frame against the door and grab the wheels out of the back seat and put them on.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Thats the way they all are, your on a really steep inclined driveway there, my car will do the same thing. It's just the design of the hinges, that's what the dealer is going to tell you. They told
me that with my 2015 S550. They offered to change the hinges under warrantee but said it's just gonna do the same thing. You're simple solution would be when you park on a incline like
your driveway, back the car in, the doors will stay open for sure then. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's simply a bad design, I dunno why they designed them like this, for years and years
there have been many cars that the doors would stay open. It's a issue for me because I'm in a wheelchair and if I had no choice to park on a uphill incline it's impossible to get my wheelchair
out and put the wheels on it, I normally lean the frame against the door and grab the wheels out of the back seat and put them on.
Well - I'm game enough to give it 4 times through the dealer to resolve and it can go back to MB via lemon. But someone is going to fix it, it's a problem. For $150k, the door should stay open. It only takes a few determine people to enact change.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well - I'm game enough to give it 4 times through the dealer to resolve and it can go back to MB via lemon. But someone is going to fix it, it's a problem. For $150k, the door should stay open. It only takes a few determine people to enact change.
Keep us up to date what your findings are, there are two spots with these hinges where there are more friction, the fully open wide spot and about half way, but at both those spots there
really is not enough friction in the hinge to keep the door from shutting on either a incline or in a good wind. I could imagine if the hinges were sprayed with lube it could make this issue
even worse I'd think, maybe they sprayed yours with a double dose of lube when they were prepping the car?
Old 11-05-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2020 E53 AMG
Hey Everyone,

The issue you are experiencing is that the door checks on the hinges are too soft. This is a know issue and has been corrected on the majority of 2018 w213’s, however some earlier 2018’s received the old parts and have the same issue.

I have a 2017 E43 and had my front door hinges replaced by my dealer in Las Vegas last week. If you request this fix be sure they order the correct hinges. There is a completely different part number for the new hinges.

Unfortunately one of the issues with the new hinges is that they are too tight so they creak and this cannot be determined until installed as the hinges need to be under load.

I know this is ridiculous especially from a company like MB. So now I have to have one more hinge replaced because of this, but the good news is the door checks are right on point just like all my previous E’s and no more banging on my legs.

Last edited by ELove; 11-06-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting, well at least there are checks on the hinges, my 2015 S550 they changed the design and don't have checks and especially the drivers door on that closes too easily. So far it seems I'm ok with this E63 Wagon, but sooner or later gonna get a windy day or park on a incline and the door will come back at me. I'm very nervous to change out the hinges as the car might come back with a door alignment problem or like you said creaking noises.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ELove
Hey Everyone,

The issue you are experiencing is that the door checks on the hinges are too soft. This is a know issue and has been corrected on the majority of 2018 w213’s, however some earlier 2018’s received the old parts and have the same issue.

I have a 2017 E43 and had my front door hinges replaced by my dealer in Las Vegas las week. If you request this fix be sure they order the correct hinges. There is a completely different part number for the new hinges.

Unfortunately one of the issues with the new hinges is that they are too tight so they creak and this cannot be determined until installed as the hinges need to be under load.

I know this is ridiculous especially from a company like MB. So now I have to have one more hinge replaced because of this, but the good news is the door checks are right on point just like all my previous E’s and no more banging on my legs.
Please provide the details from your service visit or PM me the details so my dealership can look into this.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2020 E53 AMG
Here are the part numbers for the updated front door hinges...

Left Door: 205-720-45-11-39
Right Door: 205-720-46-11-39
Old 11-06-2017, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Picked up my car today. Haven't had too much time to do more than drive to our first hotel with a couple short stops in the middle.

Didn't park on a hill yet, but the doors seem to have reasonably good detents in a couple places. I'll get more time to play with it tomorrow and give a more critical feel on the door stops.

One thing I can tell you is that this build, which started 10/10/17, is updated over some of the earlier cars and has a couple new modes for the light displays, but more importantly, it has the NFC charging (I know it's not really NFC) in my CF center console. As I was getting the tutorial on the car, the Mercedes guy hit that part and I said whoa, hold on a minute, let's test this because it wasn't supposed to be available on CF center consoles.

We tested my wife's iPhone 8 plus and that charged fine, also checked his Android based phone and it worked on it too. My wife had to remove her case first because it has a magnetic ring for clipping to a dash vent mount. But without her case it charged just fine.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thats great it it has that feature, my car was built late September and does not, I'm surprised because my car has the Piano gloss black center console trim, but don't see the NFC, there is just a ash tray and cigarette lighter there.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLE63
I went and told my dealer about this because my front doors just won’t stay open. At first they said it was a known issue, but then at pickup time they insisted it was normal and that my car already had the parts referenced above installed at manufacture. My car was built in May. Is there any way to identify which door checks / lower hinges are installed on my car?

There is a number on top of the lower hinges: 122A7 for the driver’s side and 118A7 for the right side.
Attached Thumbnails Doors won't stay open on incline-photo660.jpg  

Last edited by rluciano; 11-07-2017 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gotic4u (06-18-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.