This new AMG Wagon I have reminds me a lot of a 2013 CTS-V wagon I had

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
This new AMG Wagon I have reminds me a lot of a 2013 CTS-V wagon I had

It turned out to be a lemon though, only had the car about a year and traded it in for my former 2012 Amg wagon. This new AMG wagon is smaller than my 2012 and similar to the size of my old CTS-V wagon plus it has a fairly similar steering feel to the CTS-V wagon which is a slight numb feel although feels like intentially under boasted and it is a very quick ratio as was the CTS-V much more so than my 2012.

I would say the car carves the turns much better than my 2012 AMG, just feels much more solid in the corners, like it's on rails. The power band feels similar to the 2013 CTS-V down at the lower end, although have not tried out the upper end yet though as I'm still breaking in the car, but from the videos I've seen it screams like a wild monkey on the upper end.

Obviously much faster than the CTS-V, best 1/4 mile I ever got out of that car was a anemic 12.64 seconds stock. This new AMG should run around a second quicker which is a big difference. I dunno though, this car just brings back memories of driving the CTS-V. I woulda held onto the CTS-v if it had not been at the dealer so much with issues. Never had any issues with my 2012 amg. Plus the technology is much greater in this merc than the CTS-V although the GPS graphics do kind of remind me of the CTS-V, they are kinda cartoonish looking. The S550 I have has much better GPS Graphics, much more clear and concise and realistic. I hope when they do come out with a gps update the Graphics are better, although thats not gonna be for a while.

The other thing that reminds me of the CTS-V is the more extensive use of plastics on this car over my 2012 Merc. The Material quality did seem better on my 2012. I guess though those CTS-V Wagons are actually gaining some in value because they are so rare at this point, woulda been a pretty good investment if I'd hung onto the car. It woulda been a good car if it did not have so many gremlins, I think I just got a lemon. Cant wait to get through the break in on this Amg Wagon so I can really start having some fun with the car.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 10-24-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
c280 w203
Interesting comparo. The CTS-V is a fairly high bar in my book (outside of fit and finish/interior).

Also...

Old 10-24-2017, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by djxtc21
Interesting comparo. The CTS-V is a fairly high bar in my book (outside of fit and finish/interior).

Also...

Done, lol, I practically failed in english in school, I was too busy messing around with cars, lol

ddffddfdfd
Old 10-26-2017, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
It turned out to be a lemon though, only had the car about a year and traded it in for my former 2012 Amg wagon. This new AMG wagon is smaller than my 2012 and similar to the size of my old CTS-V wagon plus it has a fairly similar steering feel to the CTS-V wagon which is a slight numb feel although feels like intentially under boasted and it is a very quick ratio as was the CTS-V much more so than my 2012.

I would say the car carves the turns much better than my 2012 AMG, just feels much more solid in the corners, like it's on rails. The power band feels similar to the 2013 CTS-V down at the lower end, although have not tried out the upper end yet though as I'm still breaking in the car, but from the videos I've seen it screams like a wild monkey on the upper end.

Obviously much faster than the CTS-V, best 1/4 mile I ever got out of that car was a anemic 12.64 seconds stock. This new AMG should run around a second quicker which is a big difference. I dunno though, this car just brings back memories of driving the CTS-V. I woulda held onto the CTS-v if it had not been at the dealer so much with issues. Never had any issues with my 2012 amg. Plus the technology is much greater in this merc than the CTS-V although the GPS graphics do kind of remind me of the CTS-V, they are kinda cartoonish looking. The S550 I have has much better GPS Graphics, much more clear and concise and realistic. I hope when they do come out with a gps update the Graphics are better, although thats not gonna be for a while.

The other thing that reminds me of the CTS-V is the more extensive use of plastics on this car over my 2012 Merc. The Material quality did seem better on my 2012. I guess though those CTS-V Wagons are actually gaining some in value because they are so rare at this point, woulda been a pretty good investment if I'd hung onto the car. It woulda been a good car if it did not have so many gremlins, I think I just got a lemon. Cant wait to get through the break in on this Amg Wagon so I can really start having some fun with the car.
You're not driving it right. An AWD car should not remind you of a RWD car. With an AWD car, you can apply throttle much earlier exiting corners. This is a big deal. Completely different driving experience. Also no spin on launches.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
You're not driving it right. An AWD car should not remind you of a RWD car. With an AWD car, you can apply throttle much earlier exiting corners. This is a big deal. Completely different driving experience. Also no spin on launches.
That is true. I just have not driven it really aggressive yet as I still only have 335 miles and I don't want to be hard on the car quite yet, so yes, I probably should have not spoken on this subject quite yet. I think perhaps some of what was reminded me of the CTS-V with the feel of the car was the fact the CTS-V had the michelin Super Sport tires and one other car I had put them on and that was a 2009 G8 GT I had, the tires do kind of have a unique feel of their own. On my 2012 AMG Wagon I had the bridgestone pole position tires which looking back on it I probably should have gone with the michelin SS tires on that car too. There is little doubt in my mind that when going full bore this car probably handles much better than the CTS-V. I'll have to look up times around the nuremberg ring and see if the 2018 AMG E63 has been run there yet.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63 S (white wagon), 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2005 Porsche GT3 Cup race car,2020 GLE
"You're not driving it right. An AWD car should not remind you of a RWD car. With an AWD car, you can apply throttle much earlier exiting corners. This is a big deal. Completely different driving experience.".

Not always true depending on how the car is set up . A lot of all wheel drives push with early throttle . I hope they dialed in some over steer on the new ones
Old 10-30-2017, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now that I’ve driven this car in sport plus mode it reminds me nothing of the CTS V. It makes the CTs V feel like it had a V 6
The following users liked this post:
24Hours (10-31-2017)