Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow, all these openings on the nose of the car are debris catchers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
2018 E63s
I received the order from Zunsport today as well . The order came in international fedex after placing and paying for it on June 6 th in the evening (7th in the UK) . Not only did the order come quickly but the box came well packaged with a piece of wood on the outside to keep the box’s rigidity.

Right off the bat the product is of high quality; the mesh pattern is perfectly even and of heavier gauge than expected and the paint seems to be durable. I was going to wait to have the grilles installed by someone else but decided to give it a try myself (even though I am not handy or patient).

I watched the videos and went for it . I started with the outer grille set and it took very little time to install ; once they are put in place you can use a long skinny screwdriver to make sure the clips are attached to the interior ridge of the car. They fitted perfectly but one of the clips nicked a tiny piece of my Xpel clearshield so I bent the clips in away from the clear wrap on the other side and it went in flawlessly . Next up was the lower grill install . I have a front license plate holder that I tried to install the grille under but that did not work and nicked my Xpel again . I decided to take my license plate and frame off the car and used some 3m painter’s tape to cover my lower splitter, bent the clips a little and followed the video instructions and it took less than 10 mn.

The clips for the outer grille sets are quite a bit longer then the lower ones; this is probably;y why they do not need to have any screws to keep them in place (they are quite sturdy and can barely move them) . The lower grille was sturdy but less so but the screws helped keep it placed perfectly . I am quite pleased with the quality and look of the grilles . The only thing I would have done different is use masking tape (as per the written instructions - I just watched the video) but this may not have caused any nicks had Inot had Xpel . This tiny flaw in my paint protection will most likely be fixed for free at my local paint protections shop.

One of the clips showing on the leftt

Trick with the masking tape is to be able to take it off after install . I had to use a tweeter to get a last little bit off

Sorry for the gloomy day
The following 5 users liked this post by HappE63s:
2012 merc amg (06-14-2018), gearboxtrouble (06-12-2018), Slugsy (11-19-2018), tonecas (11-09-2018), WalterRoss (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 529 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
Appreciate of your (close up) pics.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 E63 AMG S, 2016 Porsche 911 GTS Coupe
Nothing really to add to HappE63s post. My grilles were delivered within 3 days of order and it took me less than 15 minutes to fit the whole set. It was super simple and the single piece side grilles were much easier to handle than the 3 part 991.1 set I fitted on my Porsche. It looks great and I've not noticed higher temps in the limited driving I've done since. They're a quality product and really a more comprehensive solution than the flush protectors that ship with the car. At least for me here in Houston with all the junk flying around the highways due to unsecured loads in pickup beds and zero civic sense when it comes to disposing off garbage while driving, its pretty much mandatory. I'd really like to thank the UK forumer who visited Zunsport to provide the template for these grilles.
The following users liked this post:
bobblehead (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 668 Likes on 524 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
And thank the guy who started this thread. Thanks for the great write up Happ I wonder how hard those are to remove? Do you put something behind the clips to push them in? I'm sure they will have to be removed regularly to remove the debris like bugs and other small stuff that gets in there. But they look great. I can't figure out why Benz did not apply this kind of solution right from the start? Would have saved a lot of people a lot of aggravation.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2012 merc amg:
bobblehead (06-13-2018), tonecas (11-19-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
With these aftermarket solutions, how difficult would it be to remove the stock coverings? I do not think you would need two, In fact having the aftermarket one alone should be better for cooling than two at low speeds and traffic in 90-100 degrees
Old 06-13-2018, 07:36 PM

2018 E63s
2012 mercedes amg: no I did not have to put something behind the clips to push them in, I just used a screwdriver to make sure the clips were correctly seated . Also the removal would probably be as involved as the install ; should be able to get it done in 15 mn or less . I will be periodically taking them off to check for debris as I did find some rather large bug carcasses as well a cig butt when I installed the grilles
Old 06-13-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 E63 wagon, 2020 G63, 2018 GT3 Touring, 1996 C4S
Thanks for the pics of the Zunsport. Doesn’t look like airflow will be compromised, and it doesn’t look like it’s homemade. It does take away from the look of those deep grills but hey if it saves the front end...

I noticed they don’t make a mesh for the upper grill though.
tonecas (11-09-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
And thank the guy who started this thread. Thanks for the great write up Happ I wonder how hard those are to remove? Do you put something behind the clips to push them in? I'm sure they will have to be removed regularly to remove the debris like bugs and other small stuff that gets in there. But they look great. I can't figure out why Benz did not apply this kind of solution right from the start? Would have saved a lot of people a lot of aggravation.
On my Porsche I just use a thin, long piece of metal to lever the clips up then pull the piece right out. Just like this one, the center piece needs to be unscrewed. The whole thing doesn't really take more than a couple of minutes and fitting it back on are another 15-20. I probably do it once a year. The openings are small enough that not a whole lot seems to get through.
2012 merc amg (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by kponti
With these aftermarket solutions, how difficult would it be to remove the stock coverings? I do not think you would need two, In fact having the aftermarket one alone should be better for cooling than two at low speeds and traffic in 90-100 degrees
The stock coverings would be a pain to remove - it looks like you'd need to disassemble the entire front end. I don't think its necessary though - the stock ones don't really cover any of the cooling fins at all which is why we have this problem in the first place. I didn't see any increase in operating temps on my commute today which was ~15 miles in ~100F temps. I hit some traffic that was stop and go and everything seemed nice and cool.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by HappE63s
I received the order from Zunsport today as well . The order came in international fedex after placing and paying for it on June 6 th in the evening (7th in the UK) . Not only did the order come quickly but the box came well packaged with a piece of wood on the outside to keep the box’s rigidity.

Right off the bat the product is of high quality; the mesh pattern is perfectly even and of heavier gauge than expected and the paint seems to be durable. I was going to wait to have the grilles installed by someone else but decided to give it a try myself (even though I am not handy or patient).

I watched the videos and went for it . I started with the outer grille set and it took very little time to install ; once they are put in place you can use a long skinny screwdriver to make sure the clips are attached to the interior ridge of the car. They fitted perfectly but one of the clips nicked a tiny piece of my Xpel clearshield so I bent the clips in away from the clear wrap on the other side and it went in flawlessly . Next up was the lower grill install . I have a front license plate holder that I tried to install the grille under but that did not work and nicked my Xpel again . I decided to take my license plate and frame off the car and used some 3m painter’s tape to cover my lower splitter, bent the clips a little and followed the video instructions and it took less than 10 mn.

The clips for the outer grille sets are quite a bit longer then the lower ones; this is probably;y why they do not need to have any screws to keep them in place (they are quite sturdy and can barely move them) . The lower grille was sturdy but less so but the screws helped keep it placed perfectly . I am quite pleased with the quality and look of the grilles . The only thing I would have done different is use masking tape (as per the written instructions - I just watched the video) but this may not have caused any nicks had Inot had Xpel . This tiny flaw in my paint protection will most likely be fixed for free at my local paint protections shop.

Trick with the masking tape is to be able to take it off after install . I had to use a tweeter to get a last little bit off

Sorry for the gloomy day

Thanks for the link, I just installed a set on my wagon. A perfect fit and will do the job nicely..
Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by HappE63s

Sorry for the gloomy day
Thanks so much for the post. Will try Zunsport out now! My radiators and intercoolers were covered in bugs off a road trip. I bent so many fins too. I noticed you had some bugs too, but not sure if you have bent fins (camera angle). Did you have to straighten your fins out before installing? And what’s the easiest way you cleaned out your bugs and crap? Tweezers? Thx
Old 06-18-2018, 08:01 PM

What about the upper grill? Zunsport doesn’t make any mesh for that. There’s more radiator and intercoolers behind the emblem. Anyone doing anything here too?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by E63Wagonesque

Thanks so much for the post. Will try Zunsport out now! My radiators and intercoolers were covered in bugs off a road trip. I bent so many fins too. I noticed you had some bugs too, but not sure if you have bent fins (camera angle). Did you have to straighten your fins out before installing? And what’s the easiest way you cleaned out your bugs and crap? Tweezers? Thx
How about vacuum?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:17 AM

2018 E63s
I just picked the bigger bits with my fingers and used a soft brush to get rid of most of the rest . A shop vac would probably be a good way to clean them further. I do not think there is a Zunsport offering for the upper grills but then they are higher up and less likely to get damaged.
The following 2 users liked this post by HappE63s:
E63Wagonesque (06-19-2018), tonecas (11-09-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 582 Likes on 399 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
I just use my shop vac with a soft brush to clean out bugs, etc. Not a big deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by HBerman:
E63Wagonesque (06-19-2018), tonecas (11-09-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cayenne,E63S
Got mines yesterday, ez install. but forgot to clean the intercloorers before installation. haha. Looks good. only problem I had was one of my left side side clips bit was short but I think it still very stable & you will need thin screw driver to
Old 07-06-2018, 04:44 PM

Received 379 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
Finally got mine a few days ago, went to a local shop to have them installed because every time I try to do something with one of my cars I end up messing something up.

Super happy with the way they turned out ... I was worried that they would forced in person but the look is completely OEM, in fact I took a couple of side to side pics with the fact ones on the 911 and they look equally good. Also snapped a pic of all the while ladies together.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:53 PM

☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
Hmm, maybe they show better in the shade.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:32 PM

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 GLE63S Coupe, 2018 E63s
Sold out?

Damn I guess I missed the boat, there is nothing on their website anymore!!
Old 07-06-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Meeru
Not sure what you mean, I found the E63S page no problem.

https://www.zunsport.com/en/Mercedes...ont-Grille-Set
Old 07-06-2018, 05:36 PM

☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
https://www.zunsport.com/en/Mercedes...earch=mercedes
Old 07-06-2018, 05:39 PM

Jeez my bad I kept clicking on full grille set! Thanks a lot guys!
Old 07-06-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E63S
Jeez my bad I kept clicking on full grille set! Thanks a lot guys!
It's Friday and you're having trouble browsing the web, you deserve a drink!
Old 07-06-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bibenstein
It's Friday and you're having trouble browsing the web, you deserve a drink!
lol couldn’t say it any better than myself 🍻
Old 11-09-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Well, I was a victim, unfortunately. I don't really care too much for the look of the Zunsport grills, but I guess I'm getting them now! I only have 1800 miles on the car, keep my distance from semis and large trucks, but I still got my center radiator punctured! The replacement cost was $1900, but my SA got Mbrace to pay for $1000 due to it being a new car, and the dealership threw in a free change of the differential fluid at 2K. Still cost me $700, but it could have been worse I suppose!
E634Me (11-09-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.