Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow, all these openings on the nose of the car are debris catchers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 10:58 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Very interesting and relevant thread. Should be sticky.

Not sure how the car was before the absurd "fix" made by MB/AMG. Any detailed pics of it easy at hand to show here?

Unbelievable how this has not been addressed from start but it is a common thread across brands. It seems engineers are more focused on getting the cooling and not considering the hazard this poses by being out in the open. It suggests that placing any protection will lower the cooling capacity and the fix made by Mb appears a scared one. Let us just place this here to get as less impact on the cooling as possible...

Now this gives me the idea that placing a proper solution like the one made by Zunsport when there is already the failed fix of MB is not the ideal
Old 11-18-2018, 03:06 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
Hi guys,

I got a response from AMG that you can order original protection for E63, S63 and AMG GT. The GT part no. is A0995030400 and will be available at the end of June 2018 for $20-30 USD.

sorry, i'm lost here. are these images of the original/current version? how about the new protection that MB/AMG was placing on the new models? does anyone have any images?
Old 11-18-2018, 10:42 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
2018 E63s
Yes the picture above from Tonecas (and my post #151 on this theaad) shows what is currently installed as stock inter cooler protection for current models. I and some others have added the zunnsport grilles in addition to what is currently stock protection.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:05 AM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
No protection like that (albeit minimal) for the center radiator, unfortunately
Old 11-19-2018, 07:45 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by HappE63s
Yes the picture above from Tonecas (and my post #151 on this theaad) shows what is currently installed as stock inter cooler protection for current models. I and some others have added the zunnsport grilles in addition to what is currently stock protection.
sorry, but there must be some confusion here. this is the original version, since the launch. it is not the protection that someone here told that was coming this summer. at least there is no visible difference to the original air intakes :|
Old 11-19-2018, 08:55 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
2018 E63s
Originally Posted by tonecas
sorry, but there must be some confusion here. this is the original version, since the launch. it is not the protection that someone here told that was coming this summer. at least there is no visible difference to the original air intakes :|
I was under the wrong impression that the plastic grill that sits directly against the inter coolers were not factory spec on the earlier builds than mine . Looking through the early pics in this thread I can see that I was wrong and do not know if any additional protection is going to appear in the 2019’s .
Old 11-19-2018, 10:30 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by HappE63s

I was under the wrong impression that the plastic grill that sits directly against the inter coolers were not factory spec on the earlier builds than mine . Looking through the early pics in this thread I can see that I was wrong and do not know if any additional protection is going to appear in the 2019’s .
I’ve got a 19 and there is no additional protection. I’ve just bought a set from Zunsport and getting fitted Wed!
Old 11-19-2018, 11:06 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by HBerman
There was another intercooler damage report in another thread. However, looking at the posted picture the new grids were in place. The only thing that appears to work would be a tight grid screen that would be removable for the track. This is a really bad design on MB's part.
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
I blew up the picture my friend sent me a little to zoom in on the mesh. I agree it is not the ideal setup, the Zunsport ones would probably be better. It looks like with the ones by Benz that the the bumper cover would have to be removed and it would be more work, not 100 percent sure on that though. They are behind the vertical fins though. Benz should really be covering this for existing orders, it was their screw up, not just our cars but the AMG GTs too.
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
Hi guys,

I got a response from AMG that you can order original protection for E63, S63 and AMG GT. The GT part no. is A0995030400 and will be available at the end of June 2018 for $20-30 USD.

is it correct to assume all these reports were based on mistake in identifying the supposed new protection from MB?
or is there even a confirmed new protection from MB since there is no MY19 being delivered yet?

Zunsport solution looks great but i would prefer for an OEM version from MB if there is one. I just don't like to mess with what I don't understand. It looks like simply adding a mesh but never know the effect this can have in things like air flow.

Last edited by tonecas; 11-19-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Audi R8
is it correct to assume all these reports were based on mistake in identifying the supposed new protection from MB?
or is there even a confirmed new protection from MB since there is no MY19 being delivered yet?

Zunsport solution looks great but i would prefer for an OEM version from MB if there is one. I just don't like to mess with what I don't understand. It looks like simply adding a mesh but never know the effect this can have in things like air flow.
This is my concern as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but restricting the airflow to the intercoolers and radiator would only cause temps to rise but affect horsepower and total output? Anyone know this as a fact?

I can deal with slightly warmer temps but didn't get the E63S to have reduced performance.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:34 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Lowering air flow to the engine will increase temps and limit output power. I have bought the zunsport but haven't installed them yet. Still waiting for Guinea pigs reports )
​​​​​​
I am guessing that this will only be a problem when ripping hard for some time thru kanyons or on the race track.

As for my doubt, it is confirmed that MB/AMG hasn't added any protection to intakes.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 E63 wagon, 2020 G63, 2018 GT3 Touring, 1996 C4S
Originally Posted by pentium7
This is my concern as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but restricting the airflow to the intercoolers and radiator would only cause temps to rise but affect horsepower and total output? Anyone know this as a fact?

I can deal with slightly warmer temps but didn't get the E63S to have reduced performance.
I had messaged Zunsport before installing my mesh and they said it would not affect airflow. They've installed thousands of grill covers and no issues. I've had mine on for 6 months and never noticed any temperature rise or drop in HP/performance, though I can't speak for others. I would say it was a great decision to install.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Audi R8
Lowering air flow to the engine will increase temps and limit output power. I have bought the zunsport but haven't installed them yet. Still waiting for Guinea pigs reports )
​​​​​​
I am guessing that this will only be a problem when ripping hard for some time thru kanyons or on the race track.

As for my doubt, it is confirmed that MB/AMG hasn't added any protection to intakes.
Mandarin in another thread replied back that engine air intake is in the upper section where the big MB star is located. This would make sense why Zunsport doesn't make a grill for that area. Even if the lower area where grill is installed results in a slightly higher temp I am sure from other reports it'll be well within tolerance.

Ordering them.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2019 E63s AMG Sedan, 2021 Range Rover Autobiography "50", 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Lots of puncture wounds lately. I ordered mine today as well. Cheap insurance.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes 2019 AMG S63, 2015 E250 Bluetec. Previous: '18 E63S, '07 E63, '10 S550, '15 S550, '10 GL350
I have had no issues with performance or temperature...