Questions for those those who have owned S212 and 213

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Originally Posted by E634Me
I would just pull the stalk back towards me to resume most of the time and that would do it. But sometimes if I had adjusted the speed up manually, I would have to pull it twice or pull and hold and eventually it would switch to the current speed limit and then change as the limit went up or down.

it might also have been part of the drive pilot because I had that on a lot too.
Nope, does not seem to work on my car, I tried everything today to activate it, no luck. Maybe it's a european thing because I don't hear anyone else talking about this feature. The speed limit is displayed in a speed limit white box and it flashes whenever it changes but there is no way to get my car to match that speed displayed in the speed limit box. It just goes whatever speed you set the cruise control at. I'd ask my stupid sale man, but he would not know.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
It may be a package related feature. I looked in the soft copy of the manual I downloaded and copied the info below:

"Vehicles with Driving Assistance Package and Traffic Sign Assist: Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC also has the Active Speed Limit Assist function. This function can be configured in the multimedia system. If a change in the speed limit is detected and Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC is activated, Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC assumes this new speed.

The driven speed is adapted when the vehicle is level with the traffic signs. The speed limit display in the Instrument Display is always updated when the vehicle is level with the traffic sign. If Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC has been put into passive mode by pressing the accelerator pedal, only speed limits which are higher than the set speed are adopted.

Pulling the cruise control lever will set the displayed speed limit as the speed, provided that:

- Active Speed Limit Assist has been activated in the multimedia system and
- Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC has been activated

If no speed limit is displayed when the lever is operated, the speed set by the driver is adopted."

When ordering my car, we went through and checked off all the various option packages and driver aids, so I should have all of them. It may be that either this option isn't on your car or maybe it needs to be enabled somewhere in the various menus in the vehicle/system setting.

Last edited by E634Me; 12-05-2017 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Fix copy/paste issue with bullets
The following users liked this post:
2012 merc amg (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E634Me
It may be a package related feature. I looked in the soft copy of the manual I downloaded and copied the info below:

"Vehicles with Driving Assistance Package and Traffic Sign Assist: Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC also has the Active Speed Limit Assist function. This function can be configured in the multimedia system. If a change in the speed limit is detected and Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC is activated, Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC assumes this new speed.

The driven speed is adapted when the vehicle is level with the traffic signs. The speed limit display in the Instrument Display is always updated when the vehicle is level with the traffic sign. If Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC has been put into passive mode by pressing the accelerator pedal, only speed limits which are higher than the set speed are adopted.

Pulling the cruise control lever will set the displayed speed limit as the speed, provided that:

R Active Speed Limit Assist has been activated in the multimedia system and
R Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC has been activated

If no speed limit is displayed when the lever is operated, the speed set by the driver is adopted."

When ordering my car, we went through and checked off all the various option packages and driver aids, so I should have all of them. It may be that either this option isn't on your car or maybe it needs to be enabled somewhere in the various menus in the vehicle/system setting.
I spent some time looking all around my menus and could not seem to find anything related to this. I think I'll try asking the service dept. at my local dealership here in Florida, it would be a helpful feature to have. It's strange because the speed limit signs do come up in the speedometer display, I just can't seem to get the car to set the speed in correlation with those signs displayed. I just did an extensive internet review of this feature. I believe from all I read that it only works in Europe. Too bad, it sounded like a good feature, but it seems Europe always gets all the good stuff.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 12-05-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bummer, the Speed assist is not gonna work in regulating the cars speed in the USA, that is only for Europe, sounded like such a good idea too. They never got Regulatory approval to do this in the USA, only Europe. Europe always seems to get all the good stuff. That and the self parking feature where you can park the car using your cell phone, not approved here in the USA.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
But yet Tesla seems to be able to self park . . .

So hopefully self parking is coming here in the US soon.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ya, thats true. I think our cars are capable of doing it but it's just not enabled, same as with the speed limit assist too. There might be a hack available eventually to make both these things work.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
E90 M3
Originally Posted by Ralcbah
I finally received my car last night....went from w212 (2014) to w213, so sedan, not wagon. I am so very impressed by the 213, and I was absolutely in love with the 212 and still am. However, the 213 is superior in just about every way. The transmission is absolutely glorious when compared to the 212. Both are ridiculously fast of course; however, the new one is fast in a much smoother way. The chassis and trans changes are noticeable in a big way. Using the paddle shifters, the car gives an 'immediate' response, which is a huge change over the 212. Even in my old one, I drove mostly in manual, so this thing feels like it just rips on upshifts and downshifts.

Regarding your thoughts on performance, I wasn't super impressed on my 30 minute test drive, but I knew the smoothness and feel was something I wanted. I've been ripping on this thing all day today, and am really wowed. I went from probably 660awhp to 560awhp and don't really notice it except on the highway at high speeds.

Regarding the sound, I did not opt for the performance exhaust, as I'm going to keep this one quiet and not gas-smelling. If I put the car in S+ (open valves), I'm more than happy with the noises this thing makes. Agree with you, though...def doesn't sound like a 5.5l v8. If you drive it hard, which I do 90% of the time, it does make noise and whatnot.

edit: pulled out of mb parking lot, and into a TGI friday's parking lot and lowered the car....loving the look now

Curious to hear what you think after you get more seat time.

Can't lose with either....both are ridic machines.
Great feedback, thank you for writing up your thoughts. Encouraging to have another go and maybe just make the jump.