Sponsored by:

Downpipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E55, GMC Suburban, F430 matchbox, Caddooo DTS
Downpipes

Has anyone installed a set of downpipes in a new E63 yet?
Old 12-29-2017, 01:44 PM

Here are some photos of the stock downpipes in the car with the transmission out of the car. We are taking the car apart to make some downpipes for it. I read in another thread that this is an easy installation and that the transmission does not have to come out to do these downpipes. I don't buy that so I would be prepared for it to be a much harder installation if you want to take it on.

HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE UPPER MOUNT ON THE DOWNPIPES WITH THETRANSMISSION OUT OF THE CAR. IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO TACKLE THIS JOB WITH THE TRANSMISSION IN THE CAR AT LEAST YOU NOW KNOW WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE STOCK DOWNPIPE ON THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE TRANSMISSION. THIS IS THE EASIEST ONE TO DO AND I DO NOT KNOW HOW YOU PLAN TO GET THAT OUT WITH THE TRANSMISSION IN THE CAR. THAT BATTERY CABLE YOU SEE IN THE PHOTO WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED AND YOU MAY AS WELL REMOVE THE SECOND BATTERY CABLE GOING TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MOTOR TOO, IT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE A LOT EASIER.

HERE IS A PHOTO OF THE DRIVERS SIDE DOWNPIPE, THIS ONE IS WRAPPED AROUND THE STEERING COLUMN AND IT IS A TIGHT FIT. WE ALSO NEEDED TO TAKE THE STEERING COLUMN OUT IN ORDER TO GET THIS DOWNPIPE OUT OF THE CAR. AGAIN, THIS WOULD NOT SEEM POSSIBLE TO DO WITH THE TRANSMISSION IN THE CAR.

HERE IS A PHOTO WITH BOTH THE LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE DOWNPIPE IN THE CAR. YOU WILL SEE THAT BOTH BATTERY CABLES ARE DISCONNECTED TO REMOVE THEM.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO TACKLE THIS JOB THEN HERE ARE WHERE ALL THE BOLTS ARE FOR THE TRANSMISSION BELL HOUSING. IN MY MIND YOU ARE GOING TO NEED TO TAKE THIS OUT SO HERE IS A REFERENCE FOR YOU TO SEE WHERE EVERYTHING IS. YOU WILL ALSO NOTICE THAT YOU DO NOT NEED TO FIND ANY BOLTS FOR THE CONVERTER TO THE FLYWHEEL, IT IS JUST INSTALLED WITH A SPLINE SO YOU DON'T NEED TO DRIVE YOURSELF CRAZY LOOKING FOR THOSE.

I HOPE THAT THIS HELPS YOU OUT, IT'S NOT SIMPLE BUT THE STOCK DOWNPIPES LOOK TERRIBLY RESTRICTIVE. THESE DOWNPIPES ACTUALLY HAVE TWO SEPARATE CATALYTIC CONVERTERS IN THEM NOW. THE OLDER E63 ONLY HAD ONE. I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT KIND OF POWER I MAKE ON THIS CAR, WE DID SOME BASELINE TESTING SO I KNOW WHAT I STARTED WITH.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Craig, majority of installers cut the OEM down pipes for easy of removal / install. Similar to the W205 C63.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by shardul
Craig, majority of installers cut the OEM down pipes for easy of removal / install. Similar to the W205 C63.
Yeah, I have done the W205 C63 but I don't see where you are going to cut these and make it an easy installation. At least anyone that finds themselves needing to take the transmission out of the car will now know where to find all the hidden bolts.

I would just say good luck to everyone that is installing these and you can feel free to PM me with any questions that you may have.
The following users liked this post:
shardul (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 02:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Cut by the second converter

Old 12-29-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts
Empty
The best catless setup on the F10 M5 in my opinion was gutting the OEM. It guaranteed perfect fitment, double walled so controlled heat, and no wastegate rattle.

I wonder if gutting OEM on W213 is possible? Looks like gutting primaries will be possible but secondaries look tough. Maybe keep secondaries and just drill out primaries?
Old 12-30-2017, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by apsuard
The best catless setup on the F10 M5 in my opinion was gutting the OEM. It guaranteed perfect fitment, double walled so controlled heat, and no wastegate rattle.

I wonder if gutting OEM on W213 is possible? Looks like gutting primaries will be possible but secondaries look tough. Maybe keep secondaries and just drill out primaries?
According to what I'm reading here, fitment will be perfect but you will need to drop your trans among other things to take it out and reinstall whole.

I don't see any difficulty in drilling out the second cats, seems easily accessible like the primaries.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 379 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
It seems to me like just a waste of money, a slight power gain you will never feel unless you sit on your wallet.
The following users liked this post:
24Hours (01-03-2018)