W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Multi Contour Seats (Grip Question)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E63s AMG
Active Multi Contour Seats (Grip Question)

I have my e63s an order and am very excited. I am trading in my Cadillac CTS-V for this car due to numerous issues Ive had with the Cadillac (all quality of car/ not performance). I had the Recaros in my Cadillac. I currently have the Multi Contour seats on my order. My question is, do these seats hold you in well enough or do you slide around a bit when having fun with the car. I do not track very much and will probably maybe 3-5 times during the life of the car. However, i do like to have fun in the car and do not want to be sliding around everywhere.

Does anyone have any feedback on these seats?

Thanks,
Old 02-05-2018, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Surprises first time passengers ;-)

I can't compare to the performance seats and I haven't really done any serious cornering yet - at least not anything aggressively side to side. Seem to hold me in place well enough.

The adjustability and the massage features came in very handy on the 10 hour drives I've done the last couple of days.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E63s AMG
Thank you for the info. This is the only option that keeps me going back and forth. Glad to hear they hold well.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
I think you will be fine.

My last car had the performance seats (gts) and last week I sat in an Edition 1 which had them and they were completely different. My gts seats were great. The ones in the Edition 1 were made out of concrete. I have the reg seats. I will track my car 3-5 times per season. The reg seats will hold you just fine and are more comfortable overall. I had a 2014 e63 that I tracked the crap out of and those seats were awesome (similar to what I have now)
Old 02-05-2018, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 844 Likes on 539 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Multi-Contour seats are awesome! They grip you very well. I tested both seats prior to purchase. The E63 Performance seats are too firm - much firmer that the ones in the GTS and C63.

The multi-contour seats are very grippy. You can tighten the bolster position to grip you firmly. You can also leave them looser and have the active bolsters hold you in place (my preferred mode). The combination of a comfortable seat with active bolsters for grip is a real WOW experience. Personally I enjoy these seats more than my 18-way Porsche Performance seats (which are also regarded as one of the best in the business).
The following users liked this post:
Mocha15 (03-09-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 06:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C63s, 2018 S63, 2018 G63, 2019 G63 Edition One Ordered, 2021 AMG GT BS Deposit Placed
I've had the liberty of having 2 AMG's, one with both the Regular Comfort Seats and the AMG Performance Seats. The Performance seats seem to hold you more during aggressive cornering, however, I don't think that outweighs getting the regular comfort seats. I feel like the regular comfort seats, since they have the massage option, are more worthwhile to have since for longer car rides they are much more comfortable. They hold you well enough that you won't miss the performance seats at all. Take it from me, who has at least put a couple of 1000's of miles in both. Definitely keep the regular seats, unless you plan to track your car multiple times in a year.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Multi-Contour seats are awesome! They grip you very well. I tested both seats prior to purchase. The E63 Performance seats are too firm - much firmer that the ones in the GTS and C63.

The multi-contour seats are very grippy. You can tighten the bolster position to grip you firmly. You can also leave them looser and have the active bolsters hold you in place (my preferred mode). The combination of a comfortable seat with active bolsters for grip is a real WOW experience. Personally I enjoy these seats more than my 18-way Porsche Performance seats (which are also regarded as one of the best in the business).
I know you just got your car and love the multi contours but I own or owned the 3 cars in question and the E63 seats are not MUCH firmer. In fact I just swapped from my GTS to E63S and I can not tell the difference. I have the mushy ones in the C63S LOL.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 669 Likes on 525 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
It's strange, I can't really feel the active side bolsters all that much in my 213 wagon, I sure could in my 212 Wagon. Can't really complain about the seats though they do seem to hold me in well and if you were planning on doing some real spirited driving you could always do that seatbelt strap trick where you lock it up and move the seat up a little bit to keep it in the locked position and the chest strap holds you in the seat better or if you were doing some real serious driving you could always rig up some sort multi point harness system.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
It's strange, I can't really feel the active side bolsters all that much in my 213 wagon, I sure could in my 212 Wagon. Can't really complain about the seats though they do seem to hold me in well and if you were planning on doing some real spirited driving you could always do that seatbelt strap trick where you lock it up and move the seat up a little bit to keep it in the locked position and the chest strap holds you in the seat better or if you were doing some real serious driving you could always rig up some sort multi point harness system.
There may be some adjusting to do. In the Comand system, in the seats menu, you can adjust how aggressive the active bolsters are. You can turn that up to Maximum. In addition you may want to tighten up the bolsters as well so they are starting in a closer position.

The only beef I have with the multcontour seats is that they look too ordinary. Its a shame they didn't make them more special like the one's in the S63 Coupe.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 02-05-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Mercedes-AMG E 63 S 4MATIC+ 2018
There may be some adjusting to do. In the Comand system, in the seats menu, you can adjust how aggressive the active bolsters are. You can turn that up to Maximum. In addition you may want to tighten up the bolsters as well so they are starting in a closer position.

The only beef I have with the multcontour seats is that they look too ordinary. Its a shame they didn't make them more special like the one's in the S63 Coupe.

+1000 !

No performance seats for me if the « normal » one look like the S seats ! In my opinion, top 5 seats in the industry !
Old 02-06-2018, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 669 Likes on 525 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.

yes I agree. The seats in my S class are the coolest looking and the most comfortable seats I’ve ever had
Old 02-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,323 Likes on 2,057 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

I don't know how the multi-contour seats are in the E63s but in the S-Class and SL if the bolsters are inflated to maximum (to make it a tight fit similar to the performance seats), the active bolsters will not work. The higher the bolster inflation, the less the active bolsters can do. Can't go beyond max inflation...

Re. the performance seats I actually find them to be quite comfortable but wouldn't like them for long distance trips.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by orenlasko
My last car had the performance seats (gts) and last week I sat in an Edition 1 which had them and they were completely different. My gts seats were great. The ones in the Edition 1 were made out of concrete. I have the reg seats. I will track my car 3-5 times per season. The reg seats will hold you just fine and are more comfortable overall. I had a 2014 e63 that I tracked the crap out of and those seats were awesome (similar to what I have now)
The bolded part is why I would definitely get the performance seats and forgo massage function. I do not find the seats in the W212 to hold well without either active bolsters or inflating the bolsters to tighten you into the seat from the start during active driving.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by kponti
The bolded part is why I would definitely get the performance seats and forgo massage function. I do not find the seats in the W212 to hold well without either active bolsters or inflating the bolsters to tighten you into the seat from the start during active driving.
It seems that you think there are only two seats - a performance seat, and a massage seat which doesn't have active bolsters.

With the W213 there are actually 3 seats:
1) Standard seat - won't hold you in place well as you describe
2) Multicontour Seat - massage function with Active bolsters that can be adjusted to tighten you into your seat (this is what I have and was describing above)
3) Performance Seat - the ultimate in terms of holding you in place and ideally suited for aggressive driving

FWIW Car and Driver recommends the standard seat!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
It seems that you think there are only two seats - a performance seat, and a massage seat which doesn't have active bolsters.

2) Multicontour Seat - massage function with Active bolsters that can be adjusted to tighten you into your seat (this is what I have and was describing above)
3) Performance Seat - the ultimate in terms of holding you in place and ideally suited for aggressive driving

I only see two choices of seats. The standard seats however have the multicontour option with massage, however they are the same seat.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:51 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
I have the multicontour seats and IMO, regarding lateral support, I think they're just okay. The upper portion is decent but the lower (thigh) bolster area is not great (almost flat). For regular driving, they're great and very comfortable. As well as being easy to get in and out of the car. For spirited driving, they do not feel supportive enough for me. I don't care for the active bolster feature either and have turned it off. I find it just reacts too slow to actually have any meaningful benefit. I wanted to like the feature but it became more annoying than helpful. The massage feature is okay. It's not nearly as versatile as a nice massage chair because the percussion rates are slow. However, I can see why Mercedes would not want to have the percussion speed too fast/forceful as this could compromise the drivers ability to maintain control the car. So in this context, (driving a car) it's decent. I also agree with an earlier comment about the appearance of the multicontour seats. I agree, they are not the best looking seats. They look like something you would find in a Ford Fusion.

Everyone has different uses for their E63 which will determine which seats are a better choice for them. For me, I would still probably chose the multicontour seats do to the overall comfort and the majority of the driving I will be doing in my car. I have plenty of other toys that are better suited for spirited driving (or riding). The Performance seats are definitely more supportive though and look better too.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C63s, 2018 S63, 2018 G63, 2019 G63 Edition One Ordered, 2021 AMG GT BS Deposit Placed
Yea the Multicontour seats with the Active Bolstering are the best one's you can get in my opinion. Best for long trips, and hold you in place very well. The performance seats are best for aggressive driving, however I personally find them decently comfortable too. Honestly just have to sit in them for a while to make up your mind, but my personal recommendation is the multicontour seats.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,323 Likes on 2,057 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

Some people don't like the active bolsters. I don't mind them and like some kind of massage function. I miss that occasionally...

Last edited by Wolfman; 02-06-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 Ford Raptor & 2016 BMW M3
Do the thigh bolsters adjust on the multicontour seats or is it just the upper, side bolsters?
Old 06-03-2021, 12:56 AM

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
2011 E350 4MATIC
Massage Seats

I just acquired a 2011 E350 4MATIC Wagon (212 Model) which has the Active Bolster, mult-
contour driver’s seat / CRAZY ABOUT IT!
i’ll always will have this feature in all MBZ going forward & wish I could rig up a front driver’s massage seat & asked my Mechanic to research the second seat addition.
The Active Bolsters hold the driver firmly in place,& the massage features are superb / I won’t go around the block without activating the action!

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
It's strange, I can't really feel the active side bolsters all that much in my 213 wagon, I sure
could in my 212 Wagon. Can't really complain about the seats though they do seem to hold me in well and if “you were planning on doing some real spirited driving you could always do that seatbelt strap trick where you lock it up and move the seat up a little bit to keep it in the locked position and the chest strap holds you in the seat better or if you were doing some real serious driving you could always rig up some sort multi point harness system.

Last edited by Jack McCarty; 06-03-2021 at 12:59 AM.