Needed Parking Pilot today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Needed Remote Parking Pilot today

Really could have used the Parking Pilot feature this morning.

Stopped for coffee on the way in to work and came out to find a car parked crooked in the spot next to me leaving a very tight entry for me.

I could have tried to squeeze in, or gone in through the passenger door, but I wanted to see what kind of thoughtless idiot did this park job. It was a 20 minute parking zone and most of the shops there turn people over pretty quickly so I figured it wouldn't be a long wait. She took every bit of the 20 minutes and then some.

Totally clueless that she'd made it very difficult for me to attempt to enter the vehicle. I might have been able to get in, but if I was as wide as she was, there would have been absolutely no way. And, there weren't any cars on her driver's side so it's not like she had to park that tight.

After noting her ace park job she continued on her way with her latte, only mildly embarrassed.

Last edited by E634Me; 03-13-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I hate drivers like that... I generally find a far away spot and walk plus the look back is always so sexy
Old 03-13-2018, 01:53 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
So, did you use Parking Pilot, if not how did you get out and did you give her the stare down.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
Had something similar happen to me a few years ago.

I was at Home Depot. The woman parked so close to my drivers side door I couldn’t even squeeze between the cars. Had to have her paged by the store to move her car. She didn’t bat an eyelash when she came out to move it...and there was tons of space on the other side of her car too.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 240 Posts
2010 E63 AMG, 2003 E500
There have been times when I've parked way out in the middle of a parking lot with nothing but empty spaces around. Come out from shopping and there's a big pickup truck parked right next to me. Go figure.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by 2020
So, did you use Parking Pilot, if not how did you get out and did you give her the stare down.
Parking Pilot isn't available in the US yet, as far as I know. I have the Mercedes Me app with everything enabled but haven't seen it in there.

I waited till she came out and, more politely than I really felt like being, let her know that she'd blocked me in and kept me waiting. Didn't apologize, but I could tell she was a little embarrassed.

There was plenty of room for her on her driver's side and there was no reason to park that close. It was early and the lot wasn't crowded. For a minute or two I thought about calling my wife and asking her to bring over my F-250 so I could back it in tight next to her driver's side and see how she liked it
Old 03-13-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Should have waited there by the rear of the car and then told her "thanks for making me miss my appointment today..."
Old 03-13-2018, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by Bahnstormer
There have been times when I've parked way out in the middle of a parking lot with nothing but empty spaces around. Come out from shopping and there's a big pickup truck parked right next to me. Go figure.
This is the worst IMO and unfortunately not uncommon!...Even worse if the next car's passengers are those type that don't hesitate in pushing out their doors out fast and hard to dent the adjacent car. BTW always remember to park into the wind when there is the possibility of cars parked next to yours.

With the OP's situation, I would usually still try to slip in side way like a gumby unless the door opening is much smaller than my girth...I just hate to wait there for someone to come out.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Oh ya, the Remote Park Pilot would be such a useful feature to have especially for me with having to swing the door fairly wide for the wheelchair I have to use, I'm generally ok in the HP spots as they are much wider, but occasionally I'll have someone park way over the line in and block me in. I don't mess around anymore, I'll get right on the phone with the cops and get the car flat bedded out so I can get into my car. Even that car you pictured is slightly over the line, thats not legal. IMO those people need to be taught a lesson to respect peoples space more. I understand our cars do have the modules to do the remote parking pilot but it's just blocked out in the software. I'm really hoping they start offering this feature in the 19's and can unlock that feature in our cars because it would be so useful. In my situation I am not comfortable with any stranger even backing my car out if they had to as with the hand controls they could accidentally hit them and end up driving my car though a wall or something. Seen that happen. A lot of Parking services even have policies that they are not to drive cars with hand controls because of the potential for a disaster, so normally I always have to self park, not that I'd want some yahoo driving my car anyways. lol.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
Talked to the Mercedes Concierge folks today just for fun. They confirmed that the Remote Parking Pilot feature is not available in the US and they don't have an ETA.

Had to go through a few people before they even understood what Remote Parking Pilot is.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E634Me
Talked to the Mercedes Concierge folks today just for fun. They confirmed that the Remote Parking Pilot feature is not available in the US and they don't have an ETA.

Had to go through a few people before they even understood what Remote Parking Pilot is.
Lol, I can imagine. They may never make it available here in the USA, perhaps they are worried about litigation. I think it is available in Europe E63's though from what I've read. Update, I just did a little research, the car in the USA is set up with it but it's because of the app. not letting it do the remote parking assist. The european app would work but does not do to gps location technology not allowing it to work in the US. The reason it does not work in the USA is because of the Verizon cell phone connection used for the cars systems. Here is a advertisement from EU and a red wagon to boot. I guess it is a fairly finicky feature in reality where everything has to be perfect or it won't work so maybe we are not missing very much.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 03-13-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
IMO those people need to be taught a lesson to respect peoples space more. I understand our cars do have the modules to do the remote parking pilot but it's just blocked out in the software.
I agree... this is so frustrating, and as mentioned above even the remote parking location doesn't help. I'm always befuddled when someone parks their POS car in the far spot right next to mine. Volvo V70R doors were thin, and dented with even the lightest tap. As such, my wife HATED parking with me as I'd always roam for the "best" spot. When someone parks me in, I reverse the mirror on their door as it is a reminder to leave space between the cars. No damage is created, but it requires they fix it and think about why it happened.

I'm very disappointed to hear that MB won't offer the park assist in the US. My garage door create a rather narrow space that I hate and had hoped to avoid with the new car... please tell me that the remote start actually works in the US.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
Yes, remote start works.

Requires that doors be closed and locked and that all windows are up.

I did it from my office while the car was at home on a rainy day. My wife wanted to let the inlaws see and hear the car so I started it remotely.

The Me app communicates the status of the car so you know whether or not it started successfully.
The following 2 users liked this post by E634Me:
24Hours (03-14-2018), nynd (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E634Me
Yes, remote start works.

Requires that doors be closed and locked and that all windows are up.

I did it from my office while the car was at home on a rainy day. My wife wanted to let the inlaws see and hear the car so I started it remotely.

The Me app communicates the status of the car so you know whether or not it started successfully.
Yep, remote start works great. I guess it's included for the first 4 years in the Connect package free of charge. I don't think Canadian cars get this and thats sad because they are the ones who could really use it with it being so cold there winters.